Here is our list of the best countries to visit in December, no matter where you are in the world!
Wondering which is the best place to visit in December? This will vary greatly from one person to another depending upon what one is looking for in a holiday.
Are you looking for a tropical climate, lots of things to do, off season prices with fewer crowds, unique festivals in December, nature, wildlife spotting or adventure?
As fulltime travellers, this is something we are constantly needing to research and consider when doing our travel planning, and designing our itineraries. We like to slow travel and we are on a budget, so we try to choose destinations where it is the low to shoulder season. In most cases, this means less tourists, lower prices and more bang-for-our-buck when it comes to booking accommodation.
No matter what your requirements and desires, here is our round up of 25 of the best places to visit in December in the world. With an extensive number of options, travellers are spoilt for choice and there is something there to suit every type of traveller!
Best Countries to Visit in December in Africa
Are you planning a holiday in Asia in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
1.South Africa in December
Contributed by Hannah at ‘The Cape Town Blog’
Fun and Festive Atmosphere
- Warm, sunny weather
- Higher chance of seeing baby animals on safari
- A really fun and festive atmosphere – the locals call it “Dezemba!”
As the name suggests, South Africa is the southern tip of Africa, and summer is in full swing in December. From beaches and mountains to wild bush and deserts, South Africa has a diverse and beautiful landscape which offers up an array of memorable experiences. It’s also a very diverse country where many different cultures coexist, meaning that you’ll have the chance to discover a rich tapestry of traditions and lifestyles.
Weather in South Africa In December:
- Summer – warm with lots of sunshine. It’s dry on the Western Cape but other parts of the country get dramatic tropical storms!
- Temperatures range from 23 degrees to 36 degrees Celsius / 73 to 97 degrees Fahrenheit
- Evenings on the Western Cape can still be chilly, so you might want to take a jacket out with you after dark
Things to Do in South Africa in December:
- Visit Kruger National Park and go on an epic safari adventure.
- Head to Cape Town to explore its beautiful beaches and mountains, and take in the stunning scenery on an unforgettable boat trip.
- Explore the cosmopolitan city of Johannesburg and visit Nelson Mandela’s former home, now called the Mandela Residence Museum.
- Stay a night or two in the picturesque town of Franschhoek and go wine tasting on its infamous wine tram!
- Road trip along the Garden Route and visit the hippie town of Wilderness, the scenic Knysna lagoon, and the beautiful Plettenberg Bay.
Events / Festivals in South Africa in December:
- The whole of December is basically one big festival in South Africa, and events are held all over the country. On the Western Cape, there are the Secrets of Summer and Get Lucky Summer concerts, as well as the infamous New Year’s Festival in Plettenberg Bay. In Johannesburg there’s the Phina Mzala Urban African music concert and Queertopia in Victoria Yards.
2. Morocco in December
Contributed by Daniela at ‘The Guide Marrakech’
Perfect Weather to Explore Morocco
- Mild weather with sunny days and cool nights
- Fewer crowds and lower prices compared to peak season
- A chance to experience the country’s unique holiday traditions and festivities
Morocco is located in North Africa, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. It is known for its vibrant culture, stunning architecture, and diverse landscapes, from the Sahara Desert to the Atlas Mountains.
While exploring, you’ll find a unique blend of Arabic, Berber, and European influences. Its cities, such as Marrakech, Casablanca, and Rabat, are home to some of the most beautiful examples of Islamic architecture in the world, including mosques, palaces, and gardens.
Weather in Morocco in December:
- In December, Morocco experiences winter, which is the coldest month of the year.
- Temperatures range from 8 to 20 degrees Celsius / 47 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are sunny, while the nights are cool, making it a pleasant time to explore.
Things to Do in Morocco in December:
- Visit the bustling souks and markets of Marrakech.
- Explore the historic medina, visit the tanneries, and attend the Fes Festival of World Sacred Music in Fez.
- Wander through the picturesque blue-washed streets and alleys of Chefchaouen.
- Enjoy the laid-back coastal vibe of Essaouira.
- Experience the magic of the Sahara Desert in Merzouga.
Events and Festivals in Morocco in December:
One of the most significant events in Morocco in December is Eid Al-Mawlid, which celebrates the birth of the Prophet Muhammad. It is a national holiday, and many people attend religious ceremonies and participate in parades and processions.
Moroever, there are several local festivals and celebrations that take place throughout the country, such as the Imilchil Marriage Festival and the Timitar Festival in Agadir.
Good Places to Visit in December in Asia
Are you planning to visit Asia in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
3. Indonesia in December
Contributed by Victoria at ‘Guide Your Travel’
Warm Weather and Lots of Festivities
- Indonesia enjoys a warm and tropical climate in December.
- The country offers a wide range of destinations to explore.
- December is a festive time in Indonesia, with various celebrations and events.
Indonesia, an archipelago in Southeast Asia, is a captivating destination that beckons travellers with its enchanting blend of natural beauty, cultural diversity, and rich history. Nestled between the Indian and Pacific oceans, Indonesia is a tropical paradise of over 17,000 islands, each offering unique experiences ranging from idyllic beaches with turquoise waters to ancient temples shrouded in mystique.
Its lush rainforests teem with diverse wildlife, while bustling cities showcase a vibrant fusion of traditions and modernity. With warm and welcoming locals, delectable cuisine, and many activities like surfing, hiking, and exploring UNESCO World Heritage sites, Indonesia is an alluring haven for adventurers, culture enthusiasts, and nature lovers.
Weather in Indonesia in December:
- In December, Indonesia experiences its rainy or wet season.
- The temperature in degrees Celsius can vary depending on the specific location, but generally, it ranges from around 25 to 30 degrees Celsius (77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The country receives frequent rainfall this season, contributing to the lush landscapes and vibrant greenery. It’s worth noting that while the weather might be wetter, it doesn’t necessarily mean constant downpours; there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities and explore Indonesia’s diverse attractions. Just be prepared with rain gear and flexible plans to make the most of your visit despite the occasional showers.
Things to Do in Indonesia in December:
- Explore Ubud for its art scene, traditional markets, and lush rice terraces.
- Rent a villa or stay in a beachfront hotel in Gili Trawangan, relax on white sandy beaches, snorkel with sea turtles, and experience laid-back island life.
- Immerse yourself in Javanese culture by exploring Yogyakarta’s historic sites, including the ancient Borobudur and Prambanan Temples.
- Climb Mount Rinjani, an active volcano in Lombok.
- Embark on a diving adventure in Manado, home to the Bunaken Marine Park.
Events / Festivals in Indonesia in December:
- Like many parts of the world, Indonesia celebrates Christmas in December. Cities like Jakarta and Bali are adorned with festive decorations, and churches hold special services and events.
- As the year comes to a close, major cities across Indonesia, including Jakarta, Bali, and Yogyakarta, host vibrant New Year’s Eve celebrations. Fireworks, live music, and parties are standard, creating a festive atmosphere to welcome the new year. In popular tourist areas, such as Bali’s Kuta Beach, beachfront parties are a highlight, attracting both locals and visitors.
4. Cambodia in December
Contributed by Ksenia at ‘Explore With Wonder’
Cool, Dry Season Perfect for Sightseeing
- Comfortable temperatures for exploring Cambodia’s many famous sights.
- Cambodian cities come to life with Western New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- The waterways such as the Mekong River and Tonle Sap Lake are still full allowing for boat trips to see floating villages.
- Very low chance of rain perfect for those lazy beach days.
Located in Southeast Asia, Cambodia is the perfect choice for those looking to escape the winter cold. In December, the country is still lush with greenery after the rainy season and the oppressive tropical heat and humidity have not settled in yet.
This is the time to tour the epic Angkor Archaeological Park, explore the vibrant capital Phnom Penh, hike jungle trails and hit the beautiful beaches. Although December marks the beginning of the high season, you will be surprised by how easy it is to find quiet, untouched spots in proximity to tourist hot spots.
Weather in Cambodia in December:
- Cambodia doesn’t have a “winter” season as it’s hot all year round. Instead, December is part of its cool, dry season which is marked by slightly cooler temperatures.
- Average December temperature across Cambodia is 26°C (79°F)
- Sunny and dry days with low humidity, ideal for sightseeing and exploring
- Rain is highly unlikely at this time of the year
Things to Do in Cambodia in December:
- Explore the ancient temples of the Angkor Archaeological Park, including the iconic Angkor Wat.
- Enjoy street food, markets and an incredibly affordable night out at Pub Street in Siem Reap.
- Visit floating villages on the Tonle Sap Lake, the largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia.
- Learn about Cambodia’s more recent, troubled history in Phnom Penh.
- Have the ultimate beach break on paradise island of Koh Rong.
- Visit the Cardamom Mountains to experience unique wildlife and some of the most beautiful scenery in Cambodia.
Events / Festivals in Cambodia in December:
- Although Cambodian New Year is in April, cities like Phnom Penh and Siem Reap have lively Western New Year’s Eve celebrations with fireworks and partying. Some hotels and restaurants also organise Christmas dinners.
5. Sri Lanka in December
Contributed by Dotti at ‘Travel Oasis’
Perfect Weather on the Southern Coast
- Excellent weather on the country’s beautiful southern coast
- Great for trekking in the hill country
- The pilgrimage season begins at the holy site of Adam’s Peak
Located in South Asia, just below India, planning your trip to Sri Lanka in December is a great time as the weather is perfect at the country’s biggest highlights. Frequently referred to as the ‘pearl of the Indian Ocean’, this little island is a delight to visit. People are friendly, it’s safe and affordable, the landscape is stunning, it is easy to plan an itinerary and see lots of the most famous landmarks. There really is something to offer every traveller! From jungle trekking to ancient cities to world-class beaches to amazing Sri Lankan food, this is one country that really has it all.
Weather in Sri Lanka In December:
- December is the dry season for the south, west and hill country of Sri Lanka. This is the best time to visit these regions, with warm, clear and sunny days.
- In the coastal regions, temperatures range from 24 to 27 degrees Celsius / 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the hill country, temperatures are slightly cooler, ranging from 15 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius / 59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s important to note that Sri Lanka has two monsoon seasons, each affecting a different part of the island. During December, the Maha monsoon hits the east coast, making travel less than ideal for this part of the island.
Things to Do in Sri Lanka in December:
- Enjoy Unawatuna Beach if you want to work on your tan, or go for a snorkel in the coral-filled waters.
- Visit the colonial city of Galle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with colonial buildings, grand mansions and boutique cafes.
- If you are looking to go surfing, the breaks at Hiriketiye, Hikkadua and Weligama are at their best in December.
- Relax on the beautiful white sand beaches of Mirissa and enjoy your lunch with the sand in your toes looking out onto the ocean, or go whale watching.
- Visit Yala National Park on a safari and spot the elusive leopard which calls the park home.
- Tackle some of the country’s hardest trekking in the Knuckles Mountain Range, home to the country’s greatest biodiversity and an astonishing number of waterfalls.
- Go for a walk in beautiful Ella, known for its iridescent tea fields.
- Visit one of the many elephant sanctuaries such as Pinnawala and watch elephants swimming and playing in the river below.
6. Korea in December
Contributed by Zhen at ‘A Love Letter to Asia’
Enjoy Korean Culture Without the Crowds
- It’s cold enough to see snow, but now as freezing as it is in January.
- It’s very romantic: Koreans have a saying that if you watch the first snowfall of the year with someone you like, you’ll be in love forever!
- Fewer crowds and cheaper rates
Located in East Asia, South Korea is a terrific country to visit in December. It’s been growing in popularity in recent years, so it can get very busy- and expensive- in spring and fall (Summer is hot and humid, so not very nice!).
Everyone thinks that it’s too cold to visit South Korea in early December but it’s actually quite pleasant (if you like cold weather), especially compared to January!
Korea is very modern, so it has top-notch heating, and it’ll be fun to sleep ondol-style. Traditionally, Koreans run hot water pipes directly under the floor, resulting in underfloor heating. Sleeping or sitting on a warm and cosy floor when it’s cold out feels amazingly comforting!
Weather in Korea In December:
- It’s the start of Winter, but not the coldest month of the year (that would be January).
- Temperatures range from 29 – 38F / -1.6C to 3.3C.
- Thankfully days tend to be dry though cold so it won’t stop you from going out and about.
- Unfortunately, winter and spring are the 2 seasons in which South Korea’s air quality worsens due to pollution. Don’t forget to check the air quality index before you leave your hotel! (You can wear a mask if the air quality is poor.)
Things to Do in Korea in December:
- Strawberry picking! In most countries, you pick strawberries in summer. In Korea, winter is the season for fresh strawberries!
- Skiing, snowboarding or sledding: there are many resorts all over Korea. If you don’t want to travel too far from Seoul, Seoul Land is a great place to take a winter sled ride under the stars!
- See the winter lights: Koreans love romance and there will be plenty of winter light festivals for couples to visit!
- Visit Nami Island: if you’re a fan of the Korean drama, Winter Sonata, you won’t want to miss Nami Island, one of Seoul’s most popular day trips.
- Take a tour of Vivaldi Park, another must-do for Korean drama lovers, Snowy Land in Vivaldi Park has been shown on famous dramas such as “Legen of the Blue Sea”.
Events / Festivals in Korea in December:
- Taebaksan Mountain Snow Festival: You will see lots of interesting snow sculptures and can try winter activities such as snow rafting or hiking (1 of Korea’s favourite activities, regardless of the season).
- Ice Fishing Festival: Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival was actually featured on CNN as one of the “7 Winter Wonders of the World!” If that’s out of the way for you, don’t worry, these festivals are held all over Korea to catch Trout!
- Ice Fountain Festival: the Alps Village in Cheongyang has activities such as sledding and is a great place to enjoy roasted sweet potatoes.
7. Laos in December
Contributed by Suzanne at ‘Suzanne Wanders Delhi’
Enjoy Outdoor Activities and River Cruising
- The weather is excellent in December
- Best time of the year to enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, cycling and kayaking
- River levels are high and perfect for river cruising
Laos is a land-locked country in Southeast Asia, sandwiched between Thailand and Vietnam. It’s the most authentic country in the region, relatively untouched by mass tourism. The natural beauty is exceptional with mountains, rivers and exquisite temples. People are shy but friendly and welcoming.
Weather in Laos In December:
- Dry Season – most pleasant weather
- Temperatures range from 14 degrees to 28 degrees Celsius / 58 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit
- Days are warm and sunny, but early mornings and nights can be cooler
- Very little rain in December – perfect for outdoor activities
Things to Do in Laos in December:
- Visit Pakse and take a 2-3 day Mekong River boat cruise, visiting the Khmer temple site Wat Phou, along the way.
- Explore the sites around quaint Phonsavan like the mystical Plain of Jars and the caves at Viengxay, the revolutionary headquarters of a secret war.
- See the exotic temples of Luang Prabang, the old Royal capital of Laos. Get up early to view the alms giving ceremony, and check out the night market after dark.
- Take a day trip from Luang Prabang to Kuang Si Falls, a cascading series of small falls with jewel-like water. Go before 10:00 am to avoid the crowds and get amazing photos.
- Slow down in Asia’s quietest capital city, Vientiane. Roam French colonial streets, view the temples in Ban Anou District and the Patuxai memorial, Laos’ spectacular version of the Arc de Triomphe.
Events / Festivals in Laos in December:
- National Day – celebrated all over Laos on December 2nd
- Luang Prabang – Blue Chair Film Festival takes place mid-December in indoor and outdoor venues around Luang Prabang. Screenings are free and open to all.
- H’mong New Year (Noh Peb Caug) – this 3-7 day festival celebrates H’mong heritage and traditions with lots of food, music, dancing and traditional games.
8. Thailand in December
Contributed by Tamara at ‘My Elated Odyssey’
One of the Best Places to Go on Holiday for Sun
- The warm and dry conditions create the best weather for the year
- Since it is the peak tourist season, all major sites and tourist attractions will be open
- Opportunity to experience local holidays and festivities
Located in Southeast Asia, Thailand is the perfect destination if you want to escape the cold winter conditions that can be found in many regions. With the end of the country’s wet season, the cool season provides the ideal time to explore the many temples, beaches, and other cultural attractions. Thailand’s versatile landscape allows you to experience mountains, bustling cities, or island life.
Weather in Thailand In December:
- Cool season- the most comfortable season with warm and dry conditions
- Temperatures range from 24 degrees to 31 degrees Celsius / 75 to 88 degrees Fahrenheit
- Most days have sunny, clear skies with warm temperatures; however, in the mountains, it can be cooler
- Lower humidity and less rainy days, perfect for outdoor activities
Things to Do in Thailand in December:
- Explore the bustling city of Bangkok, where you can experience floating markets, The Grand Palace, and electric nightlife.
- Visit the northern city of Chiang Mai to see Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep, and exciting night markets.
- Experience the vibrant nature of Phuket, with its vast array of attractions such as relaxing on the many beaches such as Kata Beach, partaking in the nightlife, and exploring its charming old town.
- See the stunning architecture of the Wat Rong Khun (White Temple) in Chiang Rai.
- Celebrate a New Moon Party on Ko Pha Ngan Island.
- Snorkel and swim around the emerald waters of the picturesque Phi Phi Islands.
- Experience one of the best cuisines in the world and try lots of the traditional Thai food dishes.
Events / Festivals in Thailand in December:
- King Bhumibol’s Birthday – In honour of Thailand’s former king on the 5th. This day celebrates the contributions of King Bhumibol, with locals dressing in yellow and decorating cities across the country.
- Constitution Day – An annual celebration on the 10th of Thailand’s declaration as a constitutional monarchy in 1932. On this day, there are various festivities, such as parades and fireworks shows.
9. Philippines in December
Contributed by NieNie at ‘Adventures With NieNie’
Experience the Best Weather of the Year
- The Philippines go all out during the holidays from Christmas trees in malls to traditional Filipino star decorations. Don’t forget the door-to-door holiday carolling.
- It’s a great tropical location to take a break from the cold winters in other parts of the world. Want to swim on the beach during Christmas, then this is the best destination to visit!
- While it’s crowded with locals, you won’t find as many tourists during these months mainly because most are home with family and friends.
Nestled in Southeast Asia, the Philippines offers a captivating blend of natural beauty and cultural richness. The Philippines is a tropical paradise that’s perfect for travellers seeking warmth and adventure year-round.
With its stunning landscapes and diverse heritage, the Philippines is a top destination for those looking to experience an array of attractions. With over 7,000 islands and warm sandy beaches, there won’t be an outdoor activity you can’t find here.
Weather in the Philippines In December:
- Since the Philippines is a tropical destination, it’s always warm. However, December ends up being one of the cooler months in comparison to the summer months in April.
- Temperatures range between 77°F and 91°F (25°C and 32°C). The cooler temperatures would be in more mountainous areas.
- Most of the time it’s quite warm and we are found wearing shorts and a tank top.
- Some things to consider when travelling in tropical countries are typhoons or monsoon seasons. There are times when ferries may be cancelled due to bad weather and finding an alternative can be difficult. Travel can be quite high during the holidays due to Filipinos traveling to see their families – often times ferries are the only affordable way for most families.
Things to Do in the Philippines in December:
- Swim with Whale Sharks in Donsol – avoid going to Oslob as they feed and disrupt migration patterns for whale sharks.
- Visit the Puerto Princesa Underground River and island hop in El Nido in Palawan.
- Party on the island of Boracay.
- Visit Bohol, one of the most magical islands in the Philippines where you can see the Tarsier monkeys and stunning Chocolate hills.
- Check out the Christmas displays in Tangub City at night.
- Visit Moalboal and snorkel with schools of sardines, turtles and see some amazing coral formations. Just outside of town you can enjoy the cool waters of Kawasan Falls.
- Surf and swim with jellyfish in Siargao.
- Eat all of the tropical fruit and Filipino delicacies.
Events / Festivals in the Philippines in December:
- Kasadyaan Festival (Mardi Gras) – This festival is a colourful extravaganza that takes place in the province of Capiz, capturing the essence of joy, unity, and creativity. Much like Mardi Gras, Kasadyaan Festival is marked by elaborate parades, exquisitely adorned floats, and energetic street performances that encompass music, dance, and visual arts. This festive event is a dazzling amalgamation of local traditions, history, and contemporary flair, reflecting the Filipinos’ zest for life and their commitment to honoring their cultural roots.
- San Fernando Giant Lantern Festival – The San Fernando Giant Lantern Festival is a captivating event held in San Fernando City, Pampanga, Philippines. Each year, the festival draws thousands of visitors, both local and international, who gather to witness the mesmerizing beauty of these giant lanterns. These lanterns are meticulously crafted by skilled artisans, often using a combination of intricate designs, vivid colours, and innovative lighting techniques.
Best Countries to Visit in December in The Caribbean
Are you planning to visit the Caribbean in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
10. Curacao in December
Contributed by Sabrina at ‘Shades of Summer’
Great Weather and Better Rates
- Outside of the hurricane season
- Agreeable temperatures, slightly less hot than in summer
- Lower rates because it is not high season
Curacao is located in the Dutch Caribbean and is part of the ABC-island chain. The beautiful Caribbean paradise is famous for its many cultural influences that can be witnessed all over the island, especially in buildings, food, and language. Not only is Curacao culturally interesting, but it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Weather in Curacao in December:
- Temperatures range on average from 75 F (24 C) to 88 F (31 C)
- December is in the dry season in Curacao, rainfall is not very common
- December is famous for many sunshine days with little clouds
- Trade winds make the temperatures bearable during this month
Things to do in Curacao in December:
- Take a boat trip to Klein Curacao and enjoy the sunshine on this quiet, uninhabited island.
- Hike the Mount Christoffel for a stunning view.
- Visit Mambo Beach and enjoy the beautiful Christmas decorations and festivities everywhere.
- Take a guided walking tour through Willemstad and explore the beautiful neighbourhoods of Punda, Otrobanda and Pietermaai. You can even get some Christmas shopping done.
- Go snorkelling on Tugboat beach and see a stunning shipwreck. Visibility underwater is amazing during that time of the year.
Events / Festivals in Curacao in December:
- Curacao shares many holidays with the Netherlands. The beginning of the month is the celebration of Sinterklaas (Santa Claus). Sinterklaas ends on 6. December.
- New Years Eve in Curacao is quite special, they have firecrackers in Willemstad and many other parties around the island.
11. The Bahamas in December
Contributed by Eleanor at ‘Elevate Your Travel Co’
One of the Best Places to Travel in December for Warm Weather
- More comfortable tropical weather with low rainfall
- Amazing beaches
- Incredible snorkelling
Located in the Caribbean, the Bahamas is a country of 16 major islands, 700 islands total. The Bahamas are known for crystal clear water and jaw-dropping white sand beaches.
The Bahamas is one of the best countries to visit in winter for many travellers from the Northeast US, Canada, and Europe seeking to escape the cold. Winter is the most pleasant weather time with cooler temperatures than summer and low rainfall.
From relaxing on the beach, to snorkelling and other water sports and activities, there’s so much to see and do while enjoying a winter trip to the Bahamas.
Weather in the Bahamas in December:
- It’s winter in the northern hemisphere but it’s always warm in the Bahamas, as the country has a hot, tropical climate
- Temperatures generally range 73°F / 23°C to 80°F / 27 °C
- Days are warm and rainfall is low, as December is dry season
Things to do in the Bahamas in December:
- Visit Bimini for the most beautiful beaches and rich history,
- See world’s largest open-air marine habitat, Aquaventure, featuring sharks, rays, barracudas, and eels at Atlantis, Paradise Island.
- Snorkel Clifton Heritage National Park and get a photo from your travel guide.
- Relax at Blue Lagoon Island, where you’re find rich tropical foliage in December.
- Swim with pigs at Rose Island, just a 25 minute boat ride from Nassau.
- See Dean’s Blue Hole – a natural limestone cavern that extends 663 feet deep in Clarence Town.
Events in the Bahamas in December:
- Junkaroo – This vibrant festival celebrating Bahamian culture runs over the final week of the year. Expect colourful costumes and impressive dance routines. Though the festival is celebrated throughout the country, attend the largest party on Bay Street in Nassau.
Best Countries to Visit in December in Central and South America
Are you planning to visit Central America or South America in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
12. Chile in December
Contributed by Lydia at ‘Lost With Lydia’
Ideal Time to Visit Patagonia
- It’s summer in the Southern Hemisphere, so you’ll have nice weather.
- It’s a fantastic time to hike in the Patagonia region
- There will be a lot of greenery and you have a great chance to spot wildlife.
Chile stretches over 4,000 km from North to South along the Western coast of South America. It makes a wonderful destination in December because it’s summertime in the Southern hemisphere.
Chile is a very diverse country with towering mountain ranges, beautiful coastline and a great food scene in the capital city of Santiago. One of the most famous regions of Chile is Patagonia, located in the Southern portion of the country. The area is known for glaciers, alpine landscapes and epic hiking trails.
Weather in Chile In December:
- Summer weather – it will be warm during the day and cool at night
- Temperatures in the Patagonia region range from 30 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit / 6 to 20 degrees Celsius. It may be quite a bit warmer in other parts of the country, such as Santiago.
- High winds are common in Patagonia during the summer and can reach over 120 miles per hour / 193 km per hour.
- While summer offers the best weather, it’s still not uncommon to see snow (the weather is unpredictable!). Be sure to bring layers.
Things to Do in Chile in December:
- Visit Punta Arenas and take a day trip to see the penguins on Isla Magdalena.
- Explore Torres Del Paine National Park and hike to the famous view of the Towers.
- Visit Glacier Gray by hiking, going on a glacier trek or kayaking next to the glacier. It’s located in Torres Del Paine National Park in a different area from the Towers.
- Explore Santiago by taking a gondola or cable car to the top of Cerro San Cristobal, trying new foods at the Central Market and taking a stroll around Parque Forestal.
- Take a day trip from Santiago to the mountains, the coast or surrounding wineries. One fun day trip is a visit to the Inca Lagoon, a bright blue lake that involves 29 hairpin turns to reach the top.
Events / Festivals in Chile in December:
- Fiesta Grande – This festival takes place in the small and remote village of Andacollo, near the coastal city of La Serena. Every year on December 26, hundreds of thousands of pilgrims visit the town to honour a statue of the Virgin Mary. The tradition began in 1584.
13. Brazil in December
Contributed by Fernanda at ‘Mauka Travels’
Peak Season for Enjoying the Beaches and Islands
- Incredible New Year events happening throughout the country
- Summer season
- Best time of the year to explore most beach destinations
Located in South America, Brazil is a famous tropical destination for tourists from the Northern Hemisphere wanting to escape the winter cold. December is the peak of the summer in Brazil and it is the best time of the year to fully enjoy the seaside, beaches, and islands.
Brazil is a very diverse country. Within one trip, you can experience the jungle in Amazon, attend a Samba in Rio, and explore the mountains in the Southern states of the country. It all depends on your specific travel style and preferences.
Weather in Brazil in December:
- Summer – one of the hottest months of the year
- Temperatures may vary a lot per region, but on average range between 23°C and 32°C (73 to 89 Fahrenheit)
- Summer days in many regions of Brazil are accompanied by summer rainfalls, which is why December is considered a rainy season in the Amazon and the Iguazu Falls. In practice, you will most likely experience rainfall at the end of the afternoon or evening, but otherwise hot summer weather
Things to Do in Brazil in December:
- Visit Fernando de Noronha, a paradise island where you can visit “Baia do Sancho”, which was elected the most beautiful beach in South America in 2023.
- Go to Iguazu Falls, one of the largest waterfalls in the world located on the border between Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay.
- Visit Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World and the best viewpoint of the city of Rio.
- Go to Gramado and Canela in the South of Brazil to experience the Christmas lights and Christmas markets.
- Get lost in the paradise beaches of the coast of Bahia, starting at Morro de São Paulo and exploring further into the south.
- Experience one of the largest New Year celebrations in the world at Copacabana Beach.
Events / Festivals in Brazil in December:
- Christmas – Most cities throughout the country get colourful and decorated for the Christmas holidays, but one of the most renowned Christmas festivals is called Natal Luz and it happens every year in the city of Gramado.
- New Year Celebrations – Brazil takes the New Year celebrations very seriously. Copacabana is one of the most famous destinations to see fireworks, but there are many festivals and events happening all over the country.
Best European Countries to Visit in December
Are you planning to visit Europe in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
14. Iceland in December
Contributed by Melanie at ‘Postcards and Places’
Visit the Christmas Village in Hafnarfjordur
- Iceland has unique Christmas traditions like a “book flood” and mischievous trolls that steal leftover food,
- It’s a good time to view the Northern Lights, and
- There are plenty of adventure activities, including lava caving, glacier hiking, and snorkelling.
Iceland is a small island located between the Greenland Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean. Despite its location in the north, its winters remain relatively mild, so don’t let the fear of cold keep you away!
Instead, its already dramatic landscapes from volcanoes to waterfalls become even more magical when draped in snow, and the dark days of winter are made brighter with festive Christmas lights and fiery New Year’s Eve fireworks.
Weather in Iceland In December:
- December is winter, one of the coldest months of the year
- Temperatures vary between -2°C to 4°C / 28°F to 49°F
- Even though the temperature is relatively mild, the ferocious wind Iceland is known for can make it feel colder
- The shortest day of the year occurs on or around 21 December, when the sun rises around 11am and sets again around 3pm
Things to Do in Iceland in December:
- Spend time in the capital, Reykjavík, where you can go ice skating at Ingólfstorg Square and warm up in one of its many public geothermal pools.
- Visit the Christmas Village in Hafnarfjordur to buy some Icelandic souvenirs in a winter wonderland setting.
- Snorkel between two continental plates at Thingvellir National Park, which is possible to do in December because the water never freezes and remains between 2 and 4°C / 36 and 39°F year round.
- Take a day trip to the Snæfellsnes Peninsula and see the iconic Kirkjufell mountain and Kirkjufellsfoss waterfall.
- Explore one of the country’s ice caves, like at Myrdalsjokull or Vatnajokull, which are only possible to visit in winter.
Events / Festivals in Iceland in December:
- Yule Lads – The annual holiday visits from the 13 mischievous Yule Lads begins on 12 December, starting with Stekkjastaur (Sheep-Cote Clod). Children should leave a shoe outside the door to receive a small gift (or a potato if they’ve been naughty!).
- St. Thorlak’s Day – The feast day of the Patron Saint of Iceland (23 December) is celebrated in Iceland by eating fermented skate, a traditional fish dish that is described as smelling like ammonia.
15. Finland in December
Contributed by Pamela at ‘The Directionally Challenged Traveler’
Official Home of Santa Claus
- Official Home of Santa Claus
- Plenty of snow-related activities to enjoy the outdoors
- Seeing the Northern Lights
Located in the Nordic region of Europe, Finland is ideal as a winter destination. From the history of Helsinki and the breathtaking nature of the Lapland region highlights the beauty of the winter season.
There are plenty of things to do in Rovaniemi for travellers of all ages. Enjoy the snow-covered trees and mountains. Learn about the indigenous Sami people and their way of life. During the day, enjoy dog-sledding through the forest or take a reindeer ride through the countryside.
Weather in Finland In December:
- Winter is one of the coldest months of the year in Finland.
- Temperatures range from -6 degrees to -3 degrees Celsius / 20 to 26 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The sunlight is only up for about 6 hours a day.
Things to Do in Finland in December:
- Explore Santa Claus Village with festive decorations and even meet Santa Claus himself!
- Meet the huskies and go for a dog-sledding ride!
- Go snowmobiling through the countryside or on some of the frozen lakes.
- Learn about Arctic wildlife at Ranua Wildlife Park.
- Discover the history of the area at the Arktikum Museum.
- Stay up late and try to see the Northern Lights. Either go out on a safari or stay at a glass igloo.
Events / Festivals in Finland in December:
- St. Lucy’s Day – On December 13th, there is a large celebration at Helsinki Cathedral for St. Lucia Day (St. Lucy’s Day). You’ll find parades leaving from the Cathedral and heading through the city centre.
- Christmas Celebrations – Throughout the month, but especially close to Christmas, you’ll find a number of celebrations throughout the country. Whether it’s a Christmas Eve tasting or story night with Santa, check the events calendar where you are to see what is happening.
16. Spain in December
Contributed by Joanna at ‘The World in My Pocket’
Best of Both Worlds – Beaches and Snow
- It has both warm weather in the South, with mild temperatures, but also snow and skiing opportunities in the mountains.
- The winter holiday festivities are incredible
- Smaller crowds
Located in the South of Europe, Spain is an ideal winter destination because of its diverse climate and many festive celebrations that you can have here in winter. The country offers very different experiences, depending on which part of Spain you are visiting: the south if famous for the mild weather and the Moorish heritage and architecture, whilst the north is known for the great food and the rugged coastal terrain.
Weather in Spain In December:
- December is not the coldest month during winter time in Spain.
- Temperatures range from -4 degrees to 3 degrees Celsius in the North of the country / 24 to 37 degrees Fahrenheit], and 8 to 17 degrees / 46 to 62 degrees Fahrenheit in the South of the country.
- The Canary Islands, which are located in the Atlantic Ocean, average a temperature between 15-20 degrees Celsius / 59 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Things to Do in Spain in December:
- Take part in the Christmas lights turning on in Malaga, which is usually done by Antonio Banderas. The lights tunnel is one of the most impressive sights on Costa del Sol in winter.
- Enjoy a relaxing massage and a kessa treatment at Hammam Al Andalus, in Granada, after a long day in the cold weather.
- Learn how to surf in El Palmar, in Cadiz. Winter is the best time for mild waves, and most of the surf schools run courses from November until March only.
- If you are looking to go skiing in the Southernmost ski slopes in Europe, you should visit the Sierra Nevada Ski Resort. December brings plenty of snow.
- December is time to play El Gordo, the famous lottery in Spain. You will notice men walking around the streets of all cities, trying to sell the tickets.
- Winter is perfect to sunbathe on one of the beaches in the Canary Islands, where the temperature remains warm.
Events / Festivals in Spain in December:
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception: This is one of the most important celebrations in December, besides Christmas and New Year’s. The religious celebration takes place on the 8th of December, and it’s a national holiday, so all shops and businesses are closed.
17. Germany in December
Contributed by Sydney at ‘A World In Reach’
Magical Christmas Markets
- Magical Christmas markets all around the country
- New Year’s Eve (Silvester) celebrations in Berlin and other German destinations
- Smaller crowds and lower prices due to being the off-season
It’s no wonder why Germany is one of the most popular Western European destinations. The country is home to exciting cities, thought provoking historic sites, quaint villages, spectacular natural sights, and so much more. Germany is a great destination year-round, but much of the country comes alive in December, with festive fairy lights and Christmas markets around every corner.
Weather in Germany In December:
- December is the start of the winter season in Germany. Cold temperatures are beginning to set in, but they’re typically not as cold as the ones in the later winter months.
- Average temperatures for the entire country range from -3 degrees to 5 degrees Celsius / 27 to 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Some areas of the country, including the southwest and cities like Frankfurt, typically have a bit warmer temperatures than the areas on the northern coast or in the Bavarian Alps.
- Expect some rainy days when visiting Germany in December, and a snowfall isn’t out of the question. Make sure to pack a warm coat and waterproof boots!
Things to Do in Germany in December:
- Visit Nuremberg, home to the oldest and one of the most famous Christmas markets in the world.
- Celebrate Silvester, or New Year’s Eve, in Berlin, home to one of the biggest NYE parties in the world.
- Visit Wallberg and go sledding on Germany’s longest toboggan run.
- Explore the historic sites in Berlin by day and check out the Christmas Markets by night.
- Marvel at the magical Neuschwanstein Castle, with fewer crowds and the possibility for snow-covered scenery!
- Go skiing in Garmisch Partenkirchen, an Alpine ski town home to some of the best ski resorts in the country.
Events / Festivals in Germany in December:
- German Christmas Markets: a variety of traditional German Christmas Markets are held across the country, from the big cities like Berlin and Frankfurt to smaller villages like Rothenburg and Rüdesheim. Most markets open in late November and run through the end of December.
- Silvester: New Year’s Eve in Germany is a celebration unlike any other! The best place to celebrate is in Berlin, when the entire city celebrates with fireworks.
- chocolART: Germany’s biggest Chocolate Festival, is held each December in the city of Tübingen.
18. England in December
Contributed by Hannah at ‘Art Distance’
For Christmas Lovers
- Incredible Christmas light displays in London
- Cosy villages in the countryside bring Christmas cheer
- Holiday decorations at stately homes across the country
An island in Western Europe, England has many cultural and historical sites worth visiting, and is the perfect winter destination for those who love the Christmas season. England is cold in the winter, and the sun sets early, but at Christmastime these are the perfect conditions for cheerful light displays and warming evenings sipping mulled wine. From Christmas light trails in London to holiday charm in the countryside, England does Christmas well.
Weather in England In December:
- It is winter in December in England
- Temperatures range from 3 degrees to 7 degrees Celsius / 30 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Days grow short in December, with the sun setting before 4PM
- It doesn’t always snow in England in the winter, but if there are wet and very cold days, snow is likely.
Things to Do in England in December:
- Explore the Christmas lights on display across central London.
- Visit the Christmassy city of Bath and enjoy the warm spas.
- Enjoy Christmas in the Cotswolds with its small and picturesque villages and cosy hotels.
- Visit Blenheim Palace and marvel in its Christmas market and incredible displays of decorations.
- Venture farther north to experience amazing Christmas markets in Manchester, Birmingham or the medieval city of York.
- Go ice skating at picturesque rinks across the country, from Somerset House in London to the Royal Crescent in Bath.
- See period film locations, such as Shere and Godalming in Surrey from the classic film The Holiday.
- Or, visit Harry Potter Studios to see Hogwarts decked out in Christmas decor.
Events / Festivals in England in December:
All special events in December revolve around the Christmas season. From Christmas markets to special holiday concerts and fun pantomime performances, there are countless events across the country to celebrate the Christmas season. Keep in mind that England celebrates Boxing Day the day after Christmas, so things will be very quiet and many places closed the 24 – 26th.
19. France in December
Contributed by Esther at ‘The Adventurous Feet’
From Skiing to Christmas Charm to Winter Sun
- Christmas season is beautiful in France
- Perfect for skiing in various ski towns
- Less crowded compared to summer
Located in Western Europe, France might be beautiful all year round, but its charm comes on full display in December! Yes, it’s a bit cold and grey, but the bustling Christmas markets and lights dotted around most of its beautiful cities, particularly in the Alsace Region make it picture-perfect!
Whether it’s Strasbourg, the self-proclaimed Capital of Christmas, Paris and its departmental store window Christmas display, or Riquewihr which looks like it’s been plucked straight out of a Christmas storybook, France in winter is an actual dream.
Weather in France In December:
- December marks the beginning of winter in France!
- Temperatures in France in December vary a lot. In the North (think Paris and the nearby cities), temperatures range from 4 – 8 degrees Celsius / 39 – 47 degrees Fahrenheit but can go down to 0 – 3 degrees Celsius / 32 – 37.4 degrees Fahrenheit in the East (think Strasbourg and the nearby cities). Meanwhile, in the French Riviera (think Nice and the nearby places), temperatures can go as high as 14 degrees Celsius / 55.4 degrees Fahrenheit and drop to 9 degrees Celsius / 48.2 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are quite short.
- December is one of the rainiest months in France, with an average of 15 rainy days, though this can vary from city to city.
Things to Do in France in December:
- Visit Paris to admire its Christmas markets and well-decorated window displays in its department store.
- If there is one place you must visit in France in December, it is Strasbourg! The Christmas markets are authentic, and its French and German influences mean that you’ll find beautiful half-timbered houses and delicious winter dishes.
- Prefer skiing or snowboarding instead? You won’t find a better ski village than Chamonix in the French Alps!
- Head to the French Riviera if you want to enjoy some winter sun!
- A trip to France is not complete without exploring its gastronomy, and Lyon is the perfect city for that!
Events / Festivals in France in December:
- Festival of Lights (Fête des Lumières) in Lyon: For 4 nights, the city of Lyon transforms into a beautiful sight with lights projected on various buildings all around the city! It started as a way of showing gratitude towards Mary, the mother of Jesus every 8th of December but today, it has become a tradition that everyone in the city looks forward to.
- Christmas Window Displays: Starting at the end of November all through December, major department stores, particularly Galeries Lafayette and Printemps Haussmann in Paris put on a colorful show in their window display, an event people travel to from far and near to witness.
Best Countries to Visit in December in the Middle East
Are you planning to visit the Middle East in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
20. United Arab Emirates in December
Contributed by Alison at ‘Glimpses of UAE’
Perfect time to Explore Without the Heat and Humidity
- Great for outdoor and adventure activities
- Perfect weather for exploring the cities
- Seasonal events
The UAE is an ideal winter destination in the Arabian Gulf, with many outdoor activities and lush hotel pools. Consisting of seven emirates, each has something different to offer. From beautiful beaches, dinner in the sky and fabulous art galleries to spectacular hikes, mountain zip-lines, impressive architecture and Bronze Age ruins, there’s always something to see and do.
Weather in UAE in December:
- The weather in December is perfect, with the heat and humidity of summer a distant memory.
- Daytime temperatures range from 24-28°C or 74 to 83°F but occasionally drop to 20°C or 70°F.
- The temperature inland is around 5°C or 9°F cooler. It can get chilly at night, especially inland or near the sea.
- Although December occasionally sees rain, the weather is generally sunny.
Things to Do in the UAE in December:
- Visit the city of Sharjah and its many museums and art spaces, explore Buhairah and Al Qasba.
- Dubai – explore the old town, chill at Bluewaters Island or take an evening desert safari.
- Hike the stunning Hajar Mountains – wear appropriate footwear, carry plenty of water and check the weather forecast.
- Enjoy the stunning architecture of Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Qasr Al Watan and the Louvre in Abu Dhabi.
- Take a tour of Al Suwaidi Pearl Farm in Ras Al Khaimah and enjoy a scenic boat trip between the mangroves.
- Explore Khor Fakkan on the east coast, including Rafisa Lake, sunrise hikes, the amphitheatre and the old souq.
Events / Festivals in UAE in December:
- Global Village – large market with international pavilions
- National Day – heritage activities and fireworks, 2 December
- New Year’s Eve – fireworks, celebrations
21. Turkey in December
Contributed by Tamar at ‘World by Weekend’
Low Season Pricing
- Prices for tours, excursions, and hotels are significantly lower than at other times of the year.
- Cooler temperatures (Turkey is HOT in the summer).
- Major tourist sights are open on Christmas.
Located at the meeting point of Europe and Asia, Turkey is a fantastic winter destination and a great place to visit in December. As a crossroads of civilizations, Turkey has influences from Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and Africa. These influences can be experienced by eating the local cuisine, exploring historic sights, or traversing through archaeological marvels.
Turkey encompasses many diverse ecosystems, which include beaches, mountains, and deserts. Places like Antalya and Fethiye along the Mediterranean remain warm throughout the year, whereas Cappadocia in December is transformed into a winter wonderland.
Weather in Turkey In December:
- December is winter in Turkey and brings with it some of the coldest days of the year. Temperatures fluctuate across the country, with mountainous regions such as Kars and Cappadocia covered in snow, whereas places along the Mediterranean remain mild.
- Central and northern Turkey have the coldest temperatures in December. Kars, in far eastern Turkey, has temperatures ranging from -10 degrees Celsius / 14 degrees Fahrenheit to 0 degrees Celsius / 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures in Istanbul range from 5 degrees Celsius / 41 degrees Fahrenheit to degrees 10 Celsius / 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The warmest place to visit in Turkey in December is Antalya and Alanya, with temperatures ranging from 11 degrees Celsius / 52 degrees Fahrenheit to 16 degrees Celsius / 61 degrees Fahrenheit.
Things to Do in Turkey in December:
- Visit the city of Istanbul and take a cruise on the Bosphorus.
- Take a sunrise hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia.
- Tour the ancient Roman ruins of Ephesus.
- Walk in the travertine pools at Pamukkale.
- Shop for spices in the markets of Izmir.
- Head to Antalya to eat mezze and drink Raki on the Mediterranean.
- Ski the slopes of a dormant volcano at Mount Erciyes.
Events / Festivals in Turkey in December:
- Mevlana Festival – A celebration of the life of the famous Persian poet and Sufi mystic Rumi. Hosted every December in Konya, this spiritual ceremony is attended by thousands. Instead of mourning the death of their spiritual leader (“Mevlana” translates to “the master”), the whirling dervishes celebrate his life through their characteristic spinning dance.
22. Oman in December
Contributed by Ausra at ‘The Road Reel’
Pleasant Warm Temperatures Perfect for Exploring
- It is an excellent time to explore the countries historical and natural treasures.
- Great time for hiking the rugged Hajar mountains or exploring the desert.
- Perfect time for camping or sunbathing by the sea.
Nestled on the southeastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula, Oman is a captivating Middle Eastern country perfect for visiting in December due to the pleasantly warm temperatures in this part of the world. The contrast between rugged mountains, lush palm oases, water-filled canyons (wadis), pristine shores, and endless rolling dunes of the desert form a unique blend of landscapes.
Meanwhile, ancient forts, mud-house villages, mysterious mosques, and lively souks testify to Oman’s deep-rooted traditions and rich cultural heritage. Add one-of-a-kind hospitality offered by welcoming Omani people, and you have a perfect destination to visit during the winter months.
Weather in Oman In December:
- December marks the start of Oman’s pleasant winter season.
- Daytime temperatures in December typically range from around 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F). Night-time temperatures can drop to around 15°C to 20°C (59°F to 68°F).
- Winter days are warm and sunny with occasional clouds and even rain.
- Should always check the weather forecast when planning to trek in the mountains as rains in Oman can cause a dangerous flash flood.
- Nights in the desert and high up in the mountains can be chilly, thus it is a wise idea to bring extra layers.
Things to Do in Oman in December:
- Explore the ancient capital Muscat, make sure to visit Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Mutrah Souq, and Corniche.
- Renta car in Oman and go on a road trip – this is the best way to explore the country beyond its capital.
- Visit Nizwa– and traditional mountain village famous for its impressive Nizwa Fort and Market. If you come on Friday, don’t miss the spectacle of the goat market.
- Stay in the mud village of Birtkat al Mouz. Al Hamra or Misfat Al Abriyn and explore the ancient Falaj water system.
- Go hiking to Jebel Shams – the Grand Canyon of the Middle East. There are many trails, ranging from easy to expert.
- Hike to and swim in mountain pools at Wadi Shab.
- Go snorkelling at Daymaniyat islands.
- Stay overnight at a desert camp in Wahiba sand dunes.
Events / Festivals in Oman in December
- There are no traditional or special events, in particular, happening in Oman in December. However, it is good to know that December 2nd is a National Holiday in the UAE and many of its residents travel to Oman around this time for a short holiday. Therefore, you can expect popular attractions to be crowded. Plan to avoid visiting Wadi Shab, Muscat, or Nizwa in December.
Best Countries to Visit in December in North America
Are you planning to visit North America in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
23. Mexico in December
Contributed by Kitti and Jon at ‘Kitti Around the World’
Explore the Festive Decorations in the Pueblo Magicos
- December is a great month to visit Mexico if you’re after some winter sun since the temperatures are perfect for beach days.
- The weather in December is also ideal for walking around cities, traditional Mexican towns and exploring historical landmarks.
- Most cities and towns will have festive decorations up throughout the month.
Occupying the southern part of North America, Mexico is a popular destination to visit in the month of December. The country is rich in history, culinary traditions and filled with natural wonders. You can enjoy wandering the streets of its bustling cities or more traditional Pueblo Magicos.
If you’re a beach or water sport lover, then you can enjoy a huge variety of activities along Mexico’s thousands of miles of coastline. Mexico is also packed with natural wonders including cenotes, waterfalls, and active volcanoes.
If you love history, then you can visit many ancient sites including one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. Food lovers should also visit Mexico just to try out some of their amazing traditional dishes.
Weather in Mexico In December:
- Coastal destinations along the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean have an average temperature of 24 degrees Celsius / 75 degrees Fahrenheit in December. This is perfect for swimming and other water activities.
- Inland cities such as Mexico City, Guadalajara and Oaxaca will have daytime temperatures ranging between 20-25 degrees Celsius / 68-77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The mornings and evenings might feel slightly chilly in the cities but it will be much hotter during the day. However, it’s still ideal for walking around and exploring popular landmarks.
Things to Do in Mexico in December:
- Spend a few days exploring Mexico City, the county’s capital. You can wander around the massive Chapultepec Park, take a day trip to the popular Teotihuacan Pyramids, or do something more active like hiking in Izta-Popo National Park.
- Being the second largest city in Mexico, Guadalajara in the state of Jalisco is another must-visit destination. There are plenty of popular day trips from Guadalajara you can do too, such as visiting the birthplace of Tequila or relaxing on the beach in Puerto Vallarta.
- Since traditional Mexican cuisine is recognised by UNESCO, Mexico is a food lover’s mecca. If you’d like to try some unique dishes then head to Oaxaca, the culinary capital of the country.
- If you’re already in the state of Oaxaca, then you can also add Puerto Escondido to your itinerary. There are plenty of things to do in Puerto Escondido from surfing on Playa Zicatela to swimming with bioluminescent plankton.
- Of course, you also can’t skip a visit to the Yucatan peninsula either. This area of Mexico is filled with cenotes, picturesque towns, and dreamy beaches. Most importantly this is also where Chichen Itza, one of the new Seven Wonders of the World, is located.
Events / Festivals in Mexico in December:
- Christmas – Although the actual Christmas celebration takes place on 24th December (Noche Buena), the festive season runs from 12th December to 16th January. Whilst there are many western influences, there are just as many Mexican traditions happening across the country in December.
- Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe (Día de la Virgen de Guadalupe) – On the 12th of December celebrations happen across the country to honour the day when the Virgin Mary made an appearance to a young man. It’s a big day for pilgrims who come to see the image of Mary at the basilica in Guadalupe. The day is also a national holiday.
- New Year’s Eve – Just like anywhere in the world, there are plenty of celebrations happening in Mexico on the last day of December.
Best Countries to Visit in December in Oceania
Are you planning to visit Oceania in December? Check out our list of the best places to travel in December and enjoy your holiday like never before.
24. Australia in December
Contributed by Olivia at ‘Defining Decade’
Beaches and Wildlife
- Beautiful warm and sunny weather
- Perfect time to explore fascinating wildlife
- Spend the holidays by the beach
Australia is a vast continent country located in the southern hemisphere, perfect for those seeking a warm holiday season. From its iconic Sydney Opera House to the stunning landscapes of the Outback, Australia is well worth the visit in December. Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, hike the Blue Mountains, or sip coffee in one of Melbourne’s laneway cafes – there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Get ready to embrace the laid-back Aussie lifestyle, and discover a land with stunning beaches, unique wildlife, amazing wine regions, and a mix of cultures.
Weather in Australia In December:
- Beginning of summer
- Temperatures range from 17 degrees to 28 degrees Celsius / 63 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3 – 8 days of rain in the month
- Days are often warm and sunny
Things to See and Do in Australia in December:
- Hit the famous Bondi Beach in Sydney or take the coastal walk from Bondi to Coogee for breathtaking views.
- Dive or snorkel the world-famous Great Barrier Reef from Cairns, where the warm December waters offer good visibility and vibrant marine life.
- Drive along the beaches of Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world, and explore magical lakes, rock pools, pristine beaches and sand dunes.
- Hop over to Rottnest Island from Perth for pristine beaches and to meet the adorable quokkas – a selfie with these smiling creatures is a must.
- Take a road trip on Kangaroo Island off the coast of Adelaide to explore beautiful beaches, bays and spot native wildlife.
- Explore Melbourne’s vibrant Christmas markets, like the Queen Victoria Market, for unique gifts and seasonal treats.
Events / Festivals in Australia in December:
- From beachside concerts and markets ,to indigenous cultural events, December showcases Australia’s festive spirit and diverse cultural offerings in every corner of the country. The iconic Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks show steals the spotlight, with spectacular displays illuminating the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Melbourne hosts the Australian Open Tennis Championship, drawing top players from around the world. And Adelaide comes alive with the Adelaide Fringe Festival, a vibrant celebration of arts, music, and comedy.
25. New Zealand in December
Contributed by Roxanne at ‘Love Queenstown NZ’
Caption: Tolaga Bay in Tairāwhiti Gisborne in December
Experience a Summer Christmas
- Good weather for outdoor activities
- Fewer people at major sites in the first half of the month
- Long days to make the most of your time
Located in the southwestern Pacific Ocean, New Zealand is a southern hemisphere country, meaning December falls during summer. This is a great time to enjoy the country’s lush, green landscapes and white, sandy beaches in full bloom – and experience a summer Christmas.
New Zealand is also known for its adventure sports and filming locations, having been the backdrop for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films.
Weather in New Zealand In December:
- Weather is warm but not as hot as it gets later in summer.
- Temperatures range from 15-25 degrees Celsius / 59-77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are typically long and sunny, ideal for outdoor adventures.
- There will be some rain and evenings can be cooler earlier in the month.
Things to do in New Zealand in December:
- Explore the Bay of Islands for pristine beaches and water activities.
- Go for a lake cruise in Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world.
- Visit Rotorua, known for its geothermal wonders and rich Māori culture.
- Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for otherworldly volcanic landscapes.
- Cruise the spectacular Milford Sound – its waterfalls are stunning after the spring rain.
- See the turquoise Lake Tekapo surrounded by colourful lupins.
- Relish the vineyards of Marlborough and savour world-class Sauvignon Blanc.
Events/Festivals in New Zealand in December:
- Christmas lights on Franklin Road in Auckland.
- Rhythm and Vines – A renowned music festival for New Year’s Eve that takes place in Gisborne from 29th to 31st December.
FAQ’s: The Best Countries To Visit In December Around the World
Now that you have explored the best countries to visit in December in the world, you might still have a few questions. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some frequently asked questions about December travel.
Which places in the USA are worth visiting in December?
Some popular places in the USA to visit in December include New York City for its festive atmosphere, San Francisco for its mild weather, and Aspen for its excellent skiing.
Which are the best places to visit in December in India?
Some of the best places to visit in December in India include Goa, Kerala, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, New Delhi, and Uttarakhand. These destinations offer pleasant weather, beautiful landscapes, and various cultural and adventure activities.
Is Bali good in December?
Yes, Bali is a great destination in December. The weather is warm and sunny, perfect for exploring the beautiful beaches and outdoor activities. Plus, it’s the low season, so you can find great deals on accommodations and flights.
Is December a good time to visit Greece?
Yes, December is a good time to visit Greece. The weather is mild, there are fewer tourists, and you can experience the festive atmosphere of Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Is Spain good in December?
Yes, Spain is a great destination in December. The weather is mild, there are fewer crowds, and you can enjoy festive celebrations like Christmas markets and New Year’s Eve parties.
Is Thailand good in December?
Yes, Thailand is a great destination in December. The weather is pleasant, with cooler temperatures and less rainfall. It’s a perfect time to explore the beautiful beaches, visit cultural sites, and enjoy outdoor activities.
Where is warm in Europe in December?
In Europe, some warm countries in December include the Canary Islands, Cyprus, Malta, and southern parts of Spain, Portugal, and Italy.
Where is best to go during Christmas?
The best places to visit in December for Christmas are New York City, Paris, London, Rome, and Tokyo. These cities are known for their festive atmosphere, beautiful decorations, and various holiday activities.
What is the most Christmassy place in the world?
The most Christmassy place in the world is Lapland, Finland. With its snowy landscapes, reindeer sleigh rides, and the chance to meet Santa Claus himself, Lapland offers a truly magical Christmas experience.
What is the #1 best Christmas town?
The #1 best Christmas town is often debated, but some popular choices include Rovaniemi in Finland, Santa Claus Village in Lapland, and Strasbourg in France. Each offers unique holiday experiences and festive atmospheres.
Which countries like Christmas most?
Countries like Christmas most: United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Spain.
Where is the most magical Christmas town?
The most magical Christmas town is Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, Finland. It is the official hometown of Santa Claus and offers a variety of festive activities and attractions for visitors of all ages.
What country has a unique Christmas?
Mexico has a unique Christmas celebration with vibrant traditions like Las Posadas, piñatas, and the colorful decorations of Dia de los Muertos.
Which country gets Christmas first?
The country that gets Christmas first is Kiribati, an island nation in the Pacific Ocean.
Which countries do not celebrate Christmas on December 25th?
Some countries that do not celebrate Christmas on December 25th include: Russia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Serbia, and Armenia.
Which country is best to visit in December?
It depends on your preferences, but popular December destinations include Germany for their Christmas markets and Thailand for warm weather.
In Summary – Best Countries to Visit in December
There are many beautiful countries to visit in December, but it depends on what you want from your destination. Whether you are looking to embrace the cold, relax on a beach, or do some sightseeing in the low-season when prices are cheaper, there are plenty of places to explore around the globe in the month of December.
There are many additional best holiday destinations in December / best places to travel in December that we could have listed, but we feel that this list covered a variety of warm and cold weather destinations, activities, festivals and events.
Are you planning a holiday in December? Have you visited any of the recommended countries to visit in December listed above, or have we missed a country we should add to this list? Post your travel tip and questions below.
Trip Planners For The Best Of World Travel: Related Blog Posts
Want more info to help you plan your next trip? Check out all the articles we’ve written about the ‘Best of World Travel’ in all parts of the world.
- 24 Great Scenic Railway Journeys In The World
- Best Airport Lounges In The World
- 21 Of The Best Countries To Visit In January
- 27 Of The Best Countries To Visit In October
- 27 Best Countries To Visit In November
FESTIVALS AROUND THE WORLD IN…
- 35 Of The Best And Biggest Festivals In The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best January Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 20 Of The Best February Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Amazing March Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Of The Top April Festivals Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best Festivals In May Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best June Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- The Ultimate Guide To Festivals In July Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best August Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Popular September Festivals And Events Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best October Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best November Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 13 Of The Best Festivals In December Around The World In 2023 | 2024
Essential Travel Planning Resources
Below are our favourite companies to use for planning our travels. They consistently turn up the best deals, offer great customer service and amazing value, and overall, are better than their competitors. These are always our starting point when we need to book a flight, hotel, tour, car rental etc.
Book a Tour:
We mostly travel independently, however, some places are better to visit with a guided tour. We prefer GetYourGuide for its easy-to-use interface and solid reputation, but we also use Viator.
DISCLAIMER: This article contains affiliate links and Exit45 Travels are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. That means if you click a link and make a purchase, we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.