Discover the best countries to visit in March and make the most of your travel plans. Find the best destinations for a memorable trip.
Dreaming of an unforgettable March getaway? Wondering where to travel during this popular time of year? Get ready to embark on a journey to the best countries that offer exciting experiences in March.
Are you searching for a place to visit in March that has warm weather, plenty of activities, and affordable prices due to it being the off-season with fewer people? Maybe you’re interested in experiencing unique festivals in March, immersing yourself in nature, spotting wildlife, or embarking on an adventure.
As we travel full-time, we always have to research and consider the best countries to visit in March. This helps us plan our trips and create itineraries. Since we prefer to travel slowly and stick to a budget, we look for destinations that are in their low to shoulder season. This means there are fewer tourists, lower prices, and more value for our money when booking accommodations.
No matter what your requirements and desires, here is our round up of 26 of the best places to visit in March in the world. . Whether you’re seeking sun-soaked beaches or cultural immersion, these top destinations have something for everyone!
Best Countries to Visit in March in Africa
Are you planning a holiday in Africa in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
1. Morocco in March
Contributed by Becki at ‘Meet Me In Departures’
Spring is Ideal Season for Exploration and Wildflowers
Why is Morocco one of the best countries to visit in March?
- Perfect climate with pleasant temperatures ideal for exploring its vibrant cities and stunning landscapes
- The countryside blooms with flowers and greenery
- Fewer crowds and cheaper rates
Situated in North Africa, Morocco provides an exotic getaway that is just a stone’s throw from Europe. This country boasts a stunning Atlantic and Mediterranean coastline and a diverse interior that includes the vast Sahara desert and the towering Atlas Mountains.
Besides its geographical draws, Morocco is packed with cultural heritage and features a blend of Arab, Berber, and French influences. From the bustling souks and historic medinas of Marrakech and Fez to the serene beauty of the blue city, Chefchaouen, throw into the mix the fragrant Moroccan cuisine and the warm hospitality of locals you can easily see why Morocco is a must-visit destination.
Weather in Morocco In March:
- Morocco is in the Spring season in March known for its mild and comfortable weather, making it a perfect time for travelling and outdoor activities.
- The average temperature in Morocco in March fluctuates between 13 – 20 degrees Celsius (55 – 68 degrees Fahrenheit). The temperatures can vary significantly depending on the region, with coastal areas being cooler and the inland desert areas being warmer.
- March sees an average rainfall of about 40mm and an average of 7-8 hours of daylight.
Things to Do in Morocco in March:
- Marrakech: Explore the famous Jardin Majorelle, a stunning garden maintained by the fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent. The vibrant colours of the garden are a perfect match for the spring bloom.
- Chefchaouen: The Blue “Pearl of Morocco” is at its best in the comfortable March climate – especially if you want to go hiking! Wander through the blue streets, enjoy local cuisine, and visit the Kasbah Museum in the city centre.
- Casablanca: Visit the stunning Hassan II Mosque, one of the largest mosques in the world. Take a stroll along the Corniche, the city’s beachfront district, and enjoy a mint tea at the many cafes and restaurants.
- Fes: Tour the historic Medina of Fes, a UNESCO World Heritage site. The cooler temperatures in March make it the perfect time to explore the city’s narrow streets and bustling markets.
- Merzouga: Take a camel trek into the Sahara Desert. March is a great time to visit before the summer heat and enjoy a night under the stars in a desert camp.
Events / Festivals in Morocco in March:
- Ramadan: In 2024, Ramadan in Morocco starts on the evening of Sunday, March 10, and ends on April 8. During this time, Muslims in Morocco fast from sunrise to sunset. Some local businesses, restaurants, and attractions may have reduced hours or be closed during the day. However, after sunset, families and communities gather for Iftar, the breaking of the fast. It’s a special time to experience Morocco’s vibrant culture and traditions. If you’re visiting during this time, it’s a good idea to check attraction opening times.
2. Egypt in March
Contributed by Nat at ‘Natstravel.com’
Perfect for a Beach Vacation
Why is Egypt one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Perfect for a beach vacation
2. Fewer tourists due to the shoulder season
3. Great weather for sightseeing
Egypt is located in Northern Africa with almost 365 days of sunshine yearly. March is an ideal month to visit due to the great weather and fewer tourists. Egypt is a country with the longest history in the world where you can admire temples, monuments, and pyramids. Not only history is a reason to visit Egypt but also lovely beaches that are one of the best with many diving opportunities.
Weather in Egypt in March:
- The end of winter, and the beginning of the summer – the best weather as it is not too hot and also the coldest months are over
- Temperatures range from 20 to 27 degrees Celsius / 68 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit during the day depending on the area and from 12 to 17 degrees Celsius / 53 to 63 degrees Fahrenheit at night.
- Warm days with warm sea are ideal for swimming.
- Possibility of a short sandstorm
Things to do in Egypt in March:
- Visit cities on the Red Sea, like Hurghada or Sharm El Sheikh as it is the best time for a beach vacation.
- While you are on the beach vacation, you can go for a tour to the desert, ride quad bikes, and camels, and have dinner.
- Pay a visit to Cairo and Giza to see the Great Pyramids of Giza, one of the Ancient Wonders of the world, the Grand Egyptian Museum, and the Egyptian Museum of Cairo. Experience Egyptian bazaars, for example, Khan El Khalili.
- Go for a Nile River Cruise.
- Visit Luxor and Aswan where you can explore many popular temples like Luxor temple, Temple of Kom Ombo, Karnak Temple, Temple of Hatshepsut, and many more. March is a great time as there are fewer tourists due to the peak season being over and the weather is not very hot yet.
Events / Festivals in Egypt in March:
Dates of events and festivals in Egypt can be fixed or movable every year due to the lunar calendar they follow. Unfortunately, in March there are no events or festivals happening. The only one that can fall in March is Ramadan, which changes yearly.
- Ramadan – is a religious event when Muslims fast during the day and start to eat and drink with the sunset. At the end of the month, there is an Eid al-Fitr celebration that lasts for three days. People have large meals and sweets and give some presents to each other.
Good Places to Visit in March in Asia
Are you planning to visit Asia in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
3. Malaysia in March
Contributed by Marlieke at ‘Kuala Lumpur with Kids’
Book Your Island Vacation
Why is Malaysia one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Ideal climate for pristine beaches and island getaways
2. Great for spotting the diverse wildlife in Borneo
3. The beginning of the low season for West Malaysia means fewer crowds and lower rates
Located in Southeast Asia, Malaysia is ideal as a winter destination. It’s in March when the northeast monsoon leaves the east coast. This is one of the very few months of the year that both the east and west coast beach destinations are excellent choices. Visiting Malaysia in March means that you will get the best of everything, from cultural experiences to natural wonders and from culinary delights to beachfront escapes.
Weather in Malaysia In March:
- March is the end of the rainy season on the east coast.
- West Coast islands such as Penang and Langkawi are still sunny in March.
- Malaysia’s highlands and Kuala Lumpur are at the start of the monsoon season.
- Temperatures range from 23 degrees to 30 degrees Celsius / 74 to 87 degrees Fahrenheit.
Things to Do in Malaysia in March:
- Visit Malaysia’s capital, Kuala Lumpur, to admire the world’s tallest twin towers: the Petronas Twin Towers.
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage city of Georgetown on the island of Penang, where you can also indulge in some of Malaysia’s best street food.
- Enjoy a luxury beach vacation in Langkawi or stay at a more affordable hotel on the east coast islands (Tioman and Perhentian islands)
- Encounter the diverse wildlife of Malaysia in Borneo.
- Experience cultural villages near Kota Kinabalu.
- Conquer Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the 20th most prominent mountain in the world.
Events / Festivals in Malaysia in March:
There are no major festivals or celebrations in March. In 2024 Thaipussam (Hindu) is celebrated in January, Chinese New Year (Chinese) in February and Idul Fitri (Muslim) in April. As March is the start of the Ramadan it’s highly likely that there won’t be any big events held in this month.
4. Vietnam in March
Contributed by Us at ‘Exit45 Travels’
Warm and Dry Weather – Not Too Hot or Humid
Why is Vietnam one of the best countries to visit in March?
- March is one of the best months to visit Vietnam as the weather is generally warm and dry and it’s not too hot or humid.
- March is a month filled with vibrant festivals and celebrations in Vietnam such as the Hoi An Lantern Festival.
- March falls during the shoulder season in Vietnam, meaning fewer crowds and lower prices for accommodations and attractions.
Vietnam is a beautiful country located in Southeast Asia, bordered by China to the north and Laos and Cambodia to the west. With its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture, Vietnam has become an increasingly popular destination for travellers from around the world.
The weather in March is generally very pleasant, with mild temperatures and low humidity. This makes it an ideal time to explore the country’s diverse landscapes, from the bustling cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City to the serene beauty of Halong Bay and the Mekong Delta.
Weather in Vietnam In March:
- In March, Vietnam experiences the transition from winter to spring, making it an ideal time to visit. The weather varies across different places in Vietnam, but overall, it is characterized by mild temperatures and low humidity.
- In Hanoi, the capital city located in the northern part of the country, the average temperature in March ranges from 17°C (63°F) to 23°C (73°F).
- Moving south to Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon, the average temperature in March is slightly higher, ranging from 23°C (73°F) to 34°C (93°F). The city experiences a more tropical climate, with higher humidity levels. It is advisable to dress lightly and stay hydrated while exploring the bustling streets and indulging in the delicious street food.
- If you plan to visit the coastal city of Da Nang, located in central Vietnam, you can expect pleasant temperatures ranging from 20°C (68°F) to 28°C (82°F) in March, perfect for relaxing on the beautiful beaches.
- In the southernmost part of Vietnam, Phu Quoc Island offers a tropical paradise with temperatures ranging from 25°C (77°F) to 31°C (88°F) in March.
Exit45 Travels Top Tip for Vietnam: It is important to note that while March generally brings pleasant weather to Vietnam, occasional rain showers can occur. It is recommended to pack a lightweight rain jacket or umbrella to be prepared for any unexpected downpours.
Things to Do in Vietnam in March:
- Explore the vibrant city of Hanoi: Take a stroll through the charming streets of the Old Quarter, visit historical landmarks such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, and indulge in the local street food.
- Visit the stunning Halong Bay: Take a cruise through the emerald waters and limestone islands of Halong Bay, and marvel at the breathtaking scenery.
- Discover the ancient town of Hoi An: Located near Da Nang, Hoi An is a UNESCO World Heritage site known for its well-preserved architecture and lantern-lit streets. Explore the local markets, visit the Japanese Covered Bridge, and enjoy the delicious local cuisine.
- Relax on the beaches of Phu Quoc Island: With its beautiful white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, Phu Quoc Island is a perfect destination for sunbathing, snorkelling, and swimming. Enjoy water sports activities or simply unwind and soak up the sun.
- Experience the bustling city life in Ho Chi Minh City: Visit the historic Cu Chi Tunnels, explore the vibrant markets such as Ben Thanh Market, and sample the delicious street food. Don’t miss a visit to the War Remnants Museum to learn about Vietnam’s history.
- Trek through the stunning landscapes of Sapa: Located in the northwestern part of Vietnam, Sapa is known for its terraced rice fields and ethnic minority villages. March offers pleasant weather for trekking.
- Take a Tam Coc boat tour in the beautiful area also know as ‘Halong Bay on land’. Enjoy the serenity of floating along and seeing the locals harvesting their rice, limestone karst mountains and grottoes.
Events / Festivals in Vietnam in March:
- Hoi An Lantern Festival: If you are visiting Hoi An in March, you can experience the magical Lantern Festival held every month on the full moon. The town is adorned with colourful lanterns, and there are cultural performances and traditional games to enjoy.
- Perfume Pagoda Festival: This religious festival takes place for a 3 month period from 1 January to 31 March in the Perfume Pagoda, located in the outskirts of Hanoi. It is one of the most important Buddhist festivals in Vietnam and attracts thousands of pilgrims who come to pray for blessings and good fortune.
5. Sri Lanka in March
Contributed by Tom at ‘Trekking the Dream’
Best Time for Exploration
Why is Sri Lanka one of the best countries to visit in March?
- Perfect weather for swimming and relaxing on one of the many beautiful beaches.
- Tea Plantations are at their finest.
- Predominantly dry across the country.
Sri Lanka sits in the Indian Ocean just off India’s southeast coast. Its tropical climate ensures year-round high temperatures and a fair amount of rain! March is the perfect month for planning a holiday in Sri Lanka and explore some of the most stunning scenery on Earth. Sri Lanka is a photographer’s dream from the Southern Savannas to the Northern Plains and the tropical rainforests of the Central Regions.
Weather in Sri Lanka in March:
- There are two seasons in Sri Lanka; Monsoon (Wet Season) and Inter-Monsoon (Dry Season).
- March is one of the driest months, with temperatures usually ranging between 27 to 29°C (82 to 84°F).
- March sees an average of 9 hours of sunshine and a sea temperature of around 29°C / 84°F, the weather is perfect for every activity.
Things to Do in Sri Lanka in March:
- Take a train ride from Ella to Kandy, widely regarded as one of the most scenic in the world.
- Hike through the lush green Tea Plantations of Pilimathalawa and visit the New Giragama Tea Factory.
- Hike up Pidurangala Rock for sunrise in Sigiriya.
- Buff up on your ancient history amongst the stunning ruins of Polonnaruwa.
- Enjoy a perfect beach day, snorkel with turtles and watch hatchlings make their maiden voyage in Mirrissa.
- Stay at Pinnawala and watch the elephants bathing from your hotel balcony.
- Sri Lankan food is amazing, especially if you love seafood! Make sure to try a Sri Lanka Crab Curry, Devilled Seafood, Pol Sambol and Kottu.
Events / Festivals in Sri Lanka in March:
- Holi – Colombo plays host to Sri Lanka’s largest Holi (Hindu) festival. Usually held in March, you can expect an explosion of colour and music!
- Poya – Every full moon is a public holiday in Sri Lanka and each has its own name. Occurring every 30 days, they commemorate key Buddhist events.
6. Cambodia in March
Contributed by Jessica at ‘Uprooted Traveler’
Fewer Crowds at Angkor Wat
Why is Cambodia one of the best countries to visit in March?
- It’s the last month of the dry season, with perfect weather for exploring outdoors.
- Crowds are fewer at some of the most popular attractions, like Angkor Wat.
- You’ll enjoy lower rates for airfare and hotels for this already affordable country.
Cambodia is located in Southeast Asia, near other countries that are popular with budget travellers, like Vietnam and Thailand. The country is known for its spectacular ancient temples but offers so much more than that, including stunning beaches, fascinating history, and bustling cities. Plus, given the pleasant weather in March, you’ll be able to make the most of the country’s incredible features.
Weather in Cambodia In March:
- Cambodia really has two seasons—a dry and a wet season. March is the last month of the dry season, before the hot rainy season takes hold.
- The temperature typically ranges from 23–34°C (73–93°F).
- If you plan on exploring the northeast section of the country, this area typically has much cooler weather during March, so be sure to bring a few warm layers with you.
- Skies are usually clear and sunny, with minimal wind.
Things to Do in Cambodia in March:
- Base yourself in Siem Reap and see the sunrise and spend at least one day in Angkor Wat, the largest religious complex on the planet, with incredible temples like Ta Prohm and Phnom Bakheng.
- Soak up the sun on the stunning beaches with azure waters of Koh Rong, a group of islands off the Cambodian coastline.
- Try Cambodian street food at the Central Market in Phnom Penh.
- Visit the Mondulkiri Province, where you can trek with the indigenous Bunong people to see some of the numerous elephants in this region and to get an interesting glimpse into the culture and history of the Bunong.
- Learn about the country’s horrific history at the Choeung Ek Genocidal Centre in Phnom Penh.
Events / Festivals in Cambodia in March:
- International Women’s Day is celebrated at the beginning of the month in large cities like Phnom Penh. There’s oftentimes parades to celebrate women in Cambodian society, as well as arts and crafts fairs to highlight female artisans.
7. Philippines in March
Contributed by Gladis at ‘Happiness on the Way’
Ideal for Island Hopping
Why is the Philippines one of the best countries to visit in March?
- Ideal for island-hopping and beach adventures
- Fewer crowd as compared to other peak months
- Less chance of typhoons
The Philippines, located in Southeast Asia, is a popular destination for those in search of a tropical paradise. March is an ideal month to visit as it offers a variety of experiences. From the pristine beaches of Boracay to the lush jungles of Palawan, the country showcases a diverse range of landscapes, cultures, and adventures.
Weather in the Philippines in March:
- Dry season, transitioning from the cool season
- Average temperatures range from 26°C to 34°C (79°F to 93°F)
- Minimal rainfall, making it ideal for outdoor activities
- High humidity with cooling sea breezes
Things to Do in the Philippines in March:
- Explore the white sand beaches of Boracay, renowned for its water activities and vibrant nightlife.
- Discover the enchanting underwater world in El Nido in Palawan, a haven for divers and snorkellers.
- Embrace the island life in Siargao, Camiguin, and Siquijor.
- Trek through the breathtaking rice terraces of Banaue, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Visit the Chocolate Hills in Bohol, unique geological formations that turn brown during the dry season.
- Head to the southern area of Cebu to swim with whale sharks in Oslob, or go canyoneering at Kawasan Falls in Moalboal.
Events / Festivals in the Philippines in March:
- Moriones Festival – Held in Marinduque during Holy Week, Moriones is a unique and vibrant celebration featuring locals dressed as Roman soldiers. The festival re-enacts the story of Longinus, the Roman centurion who converted to Christianity. Colourful masks and intricate costumes are worn, creating a visually stunning and culturally significant event.
8. India in March
Contributed by Avantika at ‘Wayward Wayfarer’
Ideal Time to Explore From North to South
Why is India one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Perfect for hiking the Himalayas
2. Spectacular diving in the deep south
3. Chance to catch various spring blooms around the country
4. Mild climate throughout most of the country
5. Month of the festival of colours, Holi
Located in South Asia, India is the perfect destination for all kinds of travellers. Whether it is culture, food, festivals or mountains, beaches, lush jungles or adventure you are after, there is something here for everyone. And March is one of the best seasons to visit India. The temperature is mild in March throughout most of the country, making it the ideal time to explore from north to south!
Weather in India In March:
- March falls in the spring season in India.
- Temperatures vary throughout the country. In the mountains in the north, it is usually 25C during the day and 10C during the night. In the South, it’s usually 30C during the day and 25C at night.
Things to Do in India in March:
- Go hiking in the Bup north in places like Manali or Tirthan Valley.
- To experience the winter charm of the Tibetan Plateau without freezing your butt off, visit Spiti Valley or Ladakh.
- Go scuba diving in the south. Pondicherry on the mainland, Lakshadweep Islands off the west coast and Havelock, Andaman Islands off the east coast are perfect.
- If you enjoy waterfalls and crystal blue ponds to swim in, consider visiting Meghalaya.
- Explore the Thar Desert of Rajasthan.
- Go on a wildlife safari in search of leopards, tigers and elephants in Karnataka.
- Search for spring blossoms from the Himalayas in the North to the Khasi Hills in the East.
Events / Festivals in India in March:
- Holi – Holi, the vibrant Hindu festival, celebrates the arrival of spring with joy and unity. People gather in the hundreds together and play with colour powder while dancing to Holi songs, eating traditional sweets like gujiya and drinking bhang lassi — a drink made by churning curd, infused with cannabis paste!
Best Countries to Visit in March in The Caribbean
Are you planning to visit the Caribbean in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
9. Cuba in March
Contributed by Hege at ‘The World By Hege’
Attend the Famous Cigar Festival
Why is Cuba one of the best countries to visit in March?
- March is shoulder season in Cuba; there are fewer crowds, and the prices are lower.
- Temperatures are perfect for adventures and outdoor activities.
- The famous Cuban cigars are being produced after harvesting.
The intriguing island of Cuba, where I was based for two years, lies in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, and the North Atlantic. Only 100 miles from Key West, Havana is a fascinating city with a unique history, excellent hotels, restaurants, and bars, only 25 minutes from paradisiacal beaches.
The influence of Spanish colonialism is evident throughout Cuba, as well as the American presence in the first half of the last century. The island has a unique mix of nature, history, architecture, music, and culture from three continents and four centuries, unlike any destination you have visited before!
Weather in Cuba in March:
- The dry season is almost over, and the hurricane season has not yet started
- The average temperature in Havana is 82°F (28ºC)
- Weather conditions are perfect for exploring, beach life, and adventures!
Things to Do in Cuba in March:
- Take an iconic Classic American Car tour of greater Havana.
- Make a day trip to Vinales, where tobacco leaves are harvested in February, making March ideal for learning to make Cuban cigars.
- Go for a day trip to Playas del Este and enjoy the Cuban beach vibe with the locals.
- Visit the UNESCO-protected colonial city of Trinidad, walk the cobblestoned streets, and explore the ancient sugar capital of Cuba.
- Travel to historic Santa Clara, where the last battle of the Cuban Revolution took place in 1958.
Events / Festivals in Cuba in March:
- The annual Cigar Festival takes place in the last days of February and the first days of March for cigar enthusiasts!
Best Countries to Visit in March in Central and South America
Are you planning to visit Central America or South America in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
10. Belize in March
Contributed by Sally at ‘Sally Sees’
Ideal Snorkelling and Diving Conditions
Why is Belize one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Perfect weather, with warm sunny days and little rain
2. Fantastic visibility underwater for snorkelling and scuba diving
3. Dry weather makes jungle activities and remote Mayan ruins accessible
With one foot in Latin America and one foot in the Caribbean, Belize is a unique destination in Central America. Belize has a diverse blend of cultures, with Afro-Caribbean, Mestizo and Mayan influences seen throughout the country.
With the second largest coral reef system lying offshore, and a lush, jungle-covered inland, Belize is a haven for adventurers. Hang out on idyllic tropical islands, trek through the jungle to ancient Mayan cities and enjoy the thriving underwater world.
Weather in Belize in March:
- Spring – one of the driest months of the year.
- Temperatures range from 23 to 28 degrees Celsius / 74 to 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are usually dry and sunny, with clear blue skies.
- The evenings are pleasantly cool, with light offshore breezes.
Things to Do in Belize in March:
- Relax on Caye Caulker, Belize’s ‘go slow’ paradisiacal island. Hang out at The Split, cycle around the sandy streets, and enjoy fiery sunsets.
- Take a scenic flight over the Great Blue Hole, with perfect conditions to appreciate the view of the hole and the Belize Barrier Reef.
- Go snorkelling in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, and swim amongst rays, nurse sharks, manatees, and turtles.
- Explore the ancient Mayan city of Xunantunich outside the town of San Ignacio.
- Trek and swim through the famous ATM Cave to see sacred Mayan artefacts and sacrificial human remains, one of the most iconic experiences in Belize.
- Rent a car and road trip along the scenic Hummingbird Highway. Make stops at the Inland Blue Hole in St. Herman’s National Park and the waterfall at Billy Barquedier National Park.
Events and Festivals in Belize in March:
- La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge – taking place in early March, this 4-day canoe race follows the route of the Macal River and Belize River from the town of San Ignacio to Belize City.
- Easter – often falling in March, Easter is a big national event in Belize. While Good Friday is a slow and sacred day to be spent with families, come Saturday there are events all over the country. The Holy Saturday Cross Country Cycling Classic is a huge event that shuts down one of the country’s major highways for the day. Caye Caulker hosts a Holy Saturday Regatta and San Ignacio has a weekend-long Easter Fair.
11. Guatemala in March
Contributed by Marjut at ‘The Smooth Escape’
Clear Skies for Enjoying Perfect Landscape Views
Why is Guatemala one of the best countries to visit in March?
- Perfect time for outdoor activities
- Great weather with little to no rain
- Fewer tourists since it’s the shoulder season
The small Central American country of Guatemala is a fascinating destination that combines ancient Mayan ruins, tropical rainforests, majestic volcanoes and vibrant colonial towns. Also known as the Land of Eternal Spring, Guatemala has something to offer to every type of traveller, whether you’re into adventurous hikes, cultural experiences, wildlife spotting or relaxing by the beach.
Weather in Guatemala In March:
- March is the end of Guatemala’s dry season and one of the warmest months of the year.
- Temperatures range from 15-27 degrees Celsius / 59-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures vary quite significantly across the regions in Guatemala. Coastal areas and lowlands tend to be hotter and more humid whereas highlands have milder temperatures.
- The skies are clear, which is perfect for enjoying the views of the beautiful landscapes of Guatemala.
Things to Do in Guatemala in March:
- Explore the thousands of years old temples and pyramids in the ancient Mayan city of Tikal, a highlight of every Guatemala itinerary.
- Visit the UNESCO-listed town of Antigua, which is known for its colourful colonial architecture, cobbled streets and rich history.
- Do the 2-day Acatenango volcano hike to see breath-taking views of the neighbouring lava-spitting Fuego volcano.
- Visit Lake Atitlan to enjoy the beautiful mountainous scenery and explore the traditional Mayan towns around the lake.
- Head to El Paredon on Guatemala’s Pacific coast and take a surfing class as March offers some of the best conditions for surfing.
- If you’re interested in bird-watching, March is a great time to see the beautiful resplendent quetzal, the national bird of Guatemala.
Events / Festivals in Guatemala in March:
- Semana Santa – Depending on the year, Guatemala’s Easter celebrations known as Semana Santa or Holy Week can fall in the month of March. It is the most important religious holiday and the biggest celebration of the year in Guatemala. The best place to experience the festivities is Antigua, where you can expect to see colourful flower carpets laid down on the streets and elaborate processions taking over the town.
12. Costa Rica in March
Contributed by Lucy and Dan at ‘Thoroughly Travel’
Explore Without the Crowds
Why is Costa Rica one of the best holiday destinations for March?
- The weather is beautiful
- The crowds are dispersing
- Great for wildlife watching
Located in Central America, Cost Rica is a diverse country known for abundant jungle, exciting adventure activities and variety of wildlife. With one coast on the Pacific Ocean and the other facing the Caribbean Sea, Costa Rica is a pioneer in ecological conservation. Home to sprawling beaches, lush mountains and vibrant towns, Costa Rica is the perfect place for a vacation in March.
Weather in Costa Rica in March:
- March in Costa Rica is moving to the end of dry season.
- The weather is warm and pleasant with consistent temperatures of 24 – 35 degrees Celsius / 75 – 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- March is also the tail end of peak season so there will be fewer crowds to contend with too.
Things to do in Costa Rica in March:
- Go wildlife watching at Manuel Antonio National Park, one of the best places in Costa Rica to see sloths.
- Bathe in hot pools in La Fortuna, which are naturally heated by geothermal activity.
- Go ziplining in the Monteverde Cloud Forest, a complex ecosystem of over 9000 species of plant.
- Chase waterfalls at Nauyaca, a short drive from the sleepy beach town of Dominical.
- Hike Arenal Volcano, one of Costa Rica’s most popular national parks.
Events / Festivals in Costa Rica in March:
- San Jose Day: Celebrated on the 19th March each year, San Jose day celebrates the patron saint of the Universal Church with funfairs, Catholic masses, bullfights and festivities.
Best European Countries to Visit in March
Are you planning to visit Europe in March? Check out our list of the best countries to visit in March Europe and enjoy your holiday like never before.
13. Greece in March
Contributed by Martina at ‘PlaceofJuma’
50% off the Entrance to Most Museums
Why is Greece one of the best places in the world to visit in March?
- Pleasant spring weather: March brings the Greek spring, offering comfortable temperatures in the 20 °C+ range for outdoor exploration, without the scorching summer heat.
- Quieter Attractions: March is a peaceful time to visit, with fewer crowds at tourist sites, allowing for a more authentic Greek experience. Even the Acropolis can be visited without the queues and stress.
- Budget friendly: Accommodation and travel expenses are significantly cheaper in March, making it an affordable way to enjoy Greece. Also, most museums offer 50% off until the end of March.
Located in south-eastern Europe on the Balkan Peninsula, Greece beckons visitors with a glorious mix of rich history, its breath-taking landscapes and beautiful islands. From the iconic Acropolis to the enchanting beaches, Greece offers a variety of experiences while still enjoying a gorgeous green, blooming landscape in March.
Weather in Greece in March:
- Season: Early spring
- In March, Greece experiences early spring with temperatures ranging from 8 to 20 degrees Celsius (47 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The days are often sunny, but it can be windy at times.
Things to Do in Greece in March:
- Visit Athens and explore the historic Acropolis without the summer crowds. Stroll through the charming Plaka neighbourhood and enjoy outdoors dining at the city’s vibrant cafés.
- Enjoy the iconic island of Santorini for stunning sunsets, pleasant weather and fewer tourists. Explore the picturesque villages of Oia and Fira and enjoy the lush green countryside.
- Explore Delphi and step back in time at the archaeological site, which is especially pleasant in March. Marvel at the Temple of Apollo and the stunning mountainous surroundings.
- Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of Mykonos. Explore the historic old town and take spectacular pictures of the famous windmills.
- Relax in the historic Chania Old town in Crete and learn about its fascinating history whilst indulging in tasty Cretan cuisine.
- Visit some of the smaller islands like Folegandros to enjoy authentic Greece flair, charming villages and tranquil beaches. March on Greece islands is also ideal for hiking!
Events / Festivals in Greece in March:
- Clean Monday (Kathara Deftera): Clean Monday marks the beginning of Lent in the Greek Orthodox Church and is celebrated with a variety of vegetarian dishes and outdoor activities. It’s a day for picnics, kite flying and enjoying traditional Lenten foods such as olives, bread and vegetables.
- Independence Day (March 25): A national holiday in Greece, Independence Day commemorates the Greek War of Independence against the Ottoman Empire in 1821. Celebrations typically include parades, school events, and the raising of the Greek flag.
14. Italy in March
Contributed by Jess at ‘Sight Seekr’
Why is Italy one of the best countries to visit in March?
- March is the low season for tourism in Italy so you’ll be able to visit major tourist attractions with fewer crowds.
- Italy has a huge range of stunning cities with shops and restaurants where you can find shelter from the cooler weather.
- Travelling to Italy in March means it is the low season for tourism so flights, hotels and excursions will be more affordable.
Italy is located in Southern Europe, bordered by France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia. From Rome, the bustling capital packed with history and heritage, to the Dolomites, breath-taking mountains, this country has something to satisfy every traveller.
Weather in Italy in March:
- Italy is in the season of Spring in March, so the weather is starting to become milder throughout the country.
- Temperatures can range all the way from lows of 2 degrees Celsius / 35 degrees Fahrenheit during the night-time and rise up to 17 degrees Celsius / 63 degrees Fahrenheit during the day
- The weather can vary widely depending on which area of the country you’re visiting. Make sure to check out the specific forecast for your destination closer to the time.
- There are around 7 days of rainfall in the month of March, so it’s possible that you could get some showers.
Things to do in Italy in March:
- Visit the incredible capital city of Rome and explore the Colosseum and Vatican City.
- Head to Sicily for a relaxing, coastal break and warmer weather.
- Hop on a train to Bologna and see an authentic Italian city, and try some traditional Italian food.
- Hike through the Dolomites and experience the incredible Italian countryside. The views are breath-taking!
- Visit Milan and see the Duomo which took 600 years to complete.
- Head to Venice to experience the floating city, full of romance and excitement!
- Eat pizza, pasta and gelato until you simply can’t anymore!!
Events / Festivals in Italy during March:
- Sometimes Easter week can fall in late March. As a catholic country, Easter is celebrated across Italy with masses, processions and ceremonies. These will be amazing to experience, especially in the capital city, Rome, but visiting in Easter week will definitely make your stay more crowded and expensive.
15. England in March
Contributed by Paulina at ‘UK Everyday’
Why is England one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. The countryside is bursting with spring colours, and the cliffs are covered in beautiful spring flowers.
2. Variety of events and festivals take place in March.
3. The weather is typically mild, making it a great time to enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and sightseeing.
England is a country located in the United Kingdom, which is situated in north-western Europe. If you are planning a trip to England in March, there are several reasons why it is a great time to visit. From exploring beautiful countryside, celebrating St. Patrick’s Day to watching iconic sports events, there is something for everyone.
Weather in England In March:
- It is Spring in England in March and well-known for its unpredictable weather so it can range from sunny and pleasant to rainy and chilly.
- Temperatures range from 9 degrees to 15 degrees Celsius / 48 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You may experience some showers during this time, so it’s always a good idea to bring an umbrella or raincoat with you.
Things to Do in England in March:
- Explore Hartland Quay cliffs in North Devon which are adorned with spring flowers that add a pop of colour to the already beautiful scenery.
- Take a leisurely stroll around one of the many picturesque areas in Lake District.
- Visit the Kew Gardens in London that are filled with colourful flowers and plants.
- Admire rhododendrons and azaleas in Virginia Water.
- Enjoy the beauty of the cherry blossoms in London.
Events / Festivals in England in March:
- St. Patrick’s Day – Celebrated on March 17, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade is held in many cities across England, including London, Manchester, and Birmingham. The parade features traditional Irish music, and plenty of food and drink.
- Cheltenham Festival – The Cheltenham Festival is one of the biggest horse racing events in the England, attracting thousands of visitors each year. Held over a few days, the festival features some of the best horses and jockeys in the world and is a must-see for racing enthusiasts.
16. France in March
Contributed by Kylie at ‘Life in Rural France’
Great Ski Conditions
Why is France one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Ski Season in the French Alps
2. Spring festivals and events
3. Museums, wineries and attractions are quieter
France is situated in Western Europe, bordered by Belgium and Luxembourg to the north, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy to the east, and Spain and Andorra to the south. To the west, it has the stunning Atlantic Ocean coastline, and to the southeast, it’s bordered by the Mediterranean Sea. From the rolling vineyards of Bordeaux and the snow-capped Alps to the museums of Paris and the Chateaux in the Loire Valley, it’s the perfect place to visit in March.
Weather in France In March:
- Spring – it’s starting to get warmer with plenty of sunny days.
- Temperatures range from 44°F to 78°F / 7°C to 26°C.
- The days are longer so the sun is around for longer, although the Northern part of the country can still see a fair amount of rain.
Things to Do in France in March:
- Enjoy skiing in the French Alps in Val Thorens and Tignes where there is still plenty of snow.
- Explore the village of Annecy in Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes and take part in the Venetian carnival.
- Discover the violet fields in Tourrettes-sur-Loup in the Alpes-Maritimes and celebrate the end of the violet season.
- Visit the Périgord region and the historic village of Sarlat-la-Canéda where the Goose Festival happens in March.
- Take a trip to the town of Podensac home to the famous Lillet liqueur and take part in Fête de l’Orange, the Orange Festival.
Events / Festivals in France in March:
- Rock the Pistes Festival – takes place in March in Portes du Soleil, offering a fabulous blend of skiing and live music in the French Alps. The festival brings together winter sports enthusiasts and music lovers, all set against the stunning backdrop of snow-covered mountains. With stages actually located on the ski slopes, accessible only by ski or snowboard, it’s an experience unlike any other music festival.
17. Portugal in March
Contributed by Samantha at ‘Find Love and Travel’
Blooming with Spring Colours
Why is Portugal one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Portugal is starting to bloom with spring colours
2. Fewer crowds at major attractions
3. Low-season rates
Portugal is located in Europe and is well known for its sandy beaches and hot, sunny weather. However, there is so much more to Portugal than just sea, sand, and sun. Portugal has many famous landmarks, charming architecture, and some of the best-hidden gems you will ever find.
This is a fantastic location to visit during March as there are far fewer crowds, and hotel prices tend to decrease during this time. Spending 10 days in Portugal is ideal to get a great feel for this incredible country.
Weather in Portugal in March:
- Temperatures usually range from 54°F to 65°F.
- The mornings start cool and get warmer towards the afternoon.
Things to do in Portugal in March:
- Admire and climb the 16th-Century tower, Belem Tower.
- Take a day trip to Douro Valley. Douro Valley has great wine-tasting tours and incredible views.
- Spend time at Lagos’s famous beaches. Climb the cliffs, swim in the ocean, and sunbathe on the shore.
- Visit Old Town Lagos. Enjoy local performances, explore colourful alleys, and bag yourself a souvenir!
- Discover the charming town of Óbidos and try Ginjinha, Portugal’s famous cherry liqueur.
Events / Festivals in Portugal in March:
- Carnival – This event was first introduced way back in the 16th century. Today, it is still the most popular event in Portugal. The festival is an Easter celebration that marks the beginning of Lent. The event consists of costumes, parades, dances, and street parties! You’ll also get to taste a bunch of different traditional snacks that are served throughout Portugal during this time. This event is usually at the very end of February going into early March.
18. Iceland in March
Contributed by Janae at ‘Adventures with TuckNae’
One of the Best Places to See the Northern Lights in March
Why is Iceland one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Great chance to see the Northern Lights
2. Crowds are fewer at the major tourist attractions
3. Longer days
Located in the North Atlantic Ocean, Iceland is a magical destination and is one of the best places to see the Northern Lights in March. Iceland, often dubbed the “Land of Fire and Ice,” is a country of contrasts and natural wonders.
Weather in Iceland In March:
- March signals Iceland’s transition from winter to spring. It’s still considered winter but not as cold as the peak winter months.
- Temperatures generally range from -2° to 3° C / 28° to 38° Fahrenheit.
- As March progresses, daylight hours increase, offering longer days to explore Iceland’s many amazing natural wonders.
Things to Do in Iceland in March:
- The vibrant capital city, Reykjavik, is alive with art, culture, and history. Visit the Hallgrímskirkja church for panoramic city views.
- Near the town of Höfn, you can witness the magical sight of icebergs floating in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and keep an eye out for seals.
- March is an excellent time to head to Húsavík, the whale-watching capital of Iceland. Sail the frigid waters and try to spot humpbacks, orcas, and minke whales.
- Taking a horseback ride on the black sand beach is one of the best things to do near Vík. It will be an adventure you will never forget.
- Head to Akureyri in the north for skiing or snowboarding in the nearby Hlíðarfjall mountain. Akureyri is also close to many natural hot springs, ideal for a relaxing dip after a day of adventure.
Events / Festivals in Iceland in March:
- Food and Fun Festival – Held annually in Reykjavik, this culinary event sees international chefs collaborate with local restaurants to concoct dishes using only Icelandic ingredients. The festival culminates in a chef competition where the participants try to out-cook each other for the title of “Food and Fun Chef of the Year”.
19. Ireland in March
Contributed by Kaz at ‘The Honeymoon Guide’
St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations
Why is Ireland one of the best destinations for March?
- Emerald Beauty: Lush green landscapes that look straight out of a fairytale. In March, Ireland is covered in verdant hues and nature is starting to bloom.
- Mild Weather: While it’s not the warmest time of the year, March in Ireland is relatively mild, perfect for exploring without the summer crowds.
- Cultural Delights: Ireland is ultimately a country of culture and history year-round, but in March, the St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in the middle of the month mean you can fill your days with parades, music, art and legendary Irish hospitality,
Ireland’s landscape is dotted with rolling hills, historic castles, and lively cities. Whether it’s epic hikes or cosy pubs, ancient history or luxurious castle hotels, you’ll find it on the western edge of Europe.
Weather in Ireland In March:
- Early Spring
- Temperature range from 6 °C to 12°C (43°F to 54°F)
- March is known for its changeable weather with a mixture of sunny and rainy days. Bring a quality rain jacket!
Things to Do in Ireland in March:
- Dublin: Visit the Guinness Storehouse. Explore the thriving dining scene and literary history. Watch the biggest parade in the country. Visit County Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland.
- Galway: Enjoy traditional Irish music in lively pubs and discover the beauty of Connemara.
- Clare: Visit the Cliffs of Moher and if you can bear the cold Atlantic Ocean, go surfing in Lahinch. Don’t miss the wildflowers in the Burren.
- Ring of Kerry: Drive along one of Europe’s most scenic and wildest landscapes.
- Belfast: Take a Black Cab tour to learn about the city’s troubled history. Take a side trip to the Giant’s Causeway.
Events / Festivals in Ireland in March:
- St. Patrick’s Day: Experience the world-famous St Patrick’s Day Festival which runs over 5 days. As it’s a national holiday, you’ll find not only traditional Irish culture but an array of events featuring local and international artists and musicians.
Best Countries to Visit in March in the Middle East
Are you looking at where to travel in March in the Middle East? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
20. Turkey in March
Contributed by Louisa at ‘The Tukey Traveler’
Warm Weather Without the Crowds
Why is Turkey one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. Beat the crowds before the summer season, but still experience warm weather.
2. Experience the festivities of Ramadan, particularly Eid al-Fitr, the three-day event that ends the Ramadan festival.
3. A great time to go hiking without overheating.
Located at the crossing point between Europe and Asia, Turkey is the ideal choice for a destination to visit in March, since it boasts a warm, Mediterranean climate. Turkey has a unique culture, being the historical crossing point on the old Silk Road, its influences stem from far and wide.
Many of the attractions and historic landmarks date as far back as the Greek and Roman periods of the 7th Century BC, before the Byzantines and Ottomans ruled the lands. Remnants of this past are still a prominent part of Turkish culture, whether that’s by relaxing with a Turkish bath or sinking your teeth into succulent Turkish kebabs, Turkey is a country that deeply respects its traditions and roots.
It’s also diverse in terms of landscapes, with azure turquoise waters and golden sand beaches to expansive deserts and snow-capped mountain peaks. Nature lovers, history buffs, and beach enthusiasts will fall in love with Turkey.
Weather in Turkey In March:
- March is the end of the winter season and is the turning point towards Spring. Depending on where in Turkey you visit, you may find the weather to be a warm, Mediterranean climate, or a chilly, wintery climate.
- In cities such as Istanbul and Ankara, the weather can reach lows of 2°C (35.6°F) and highs of 13°C (55.4°F) in March. In Antalya, temperatures are warmer, from highs of 18°C (64.4°F) and lows of 11°C (51.8°F). In Cappadocia, Turkey’s desert region, you’ll find the coldest temperatures of 12°C (54°F) at the highest and 0°C (31°F) as the lowest. In fact, it can still snow in Cappadocia in March. While this does mean the iconic hot air balloons can’t fly, seeing snow on the vast desert floors and covering the historic fairy chimney rock dwellings is a sight to behold.
- Days are often dry with little chance of rain, though temperatures can get chilly in the evening.
- Daylight hours are longer, meaning more time for exploring attractions and providing more sunlight for hikers.
Things to Do in Turkey in March:
- Visit Istanbul and explore The Grand Bazaar without huge crowds. Be sure to visit the mosques outside of prayer times, though check the opening times during Eid-al-Far, the last three days of Ramadan.
- Explore the Red and Rose Valley in Cappadocia, either by hiking or on a Quad Safari. Visit Uchisar Castle and the Underground Cities to see how the former settlers lived.
- Hike the Lycian Trail, an incredible multi-day hike that takes you from Oludeniz to Antalya along the coast, passing historic sites, tombs, and ruins along the way.
- Enjoy Cleopatra Beach, a famous beach in Alanya where Queen Cleopatra was said to have swam from. While it may not be warm enough to catch a tan, you can still appreciate the beauty of the beach with fewer crowds.
- Catch the end of ski season at Erciyes or Uludag, two of Turkey’s biggest ski resorts.
- Explore the Ancient Ruins of Ephesus, a popular day trip from Izmir and one of the most important historic landmarks in Turkey. See the UNESCO World Heritage Site and marvel at one of the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World, The Temple of Artemis.
- Relax in the hot springs at Pamukkale’s Cotton Castle, otherwise known as the Travertine Terraces.
Events / Festivals in Turkey in March:
- Ramadan is the biggest festival of the year in Turkey and is celebrated across the entire country. During this 30-day period, Muslims across the world partake in a fast, prayer, and a period of contemplation, which is said to bring them closer to their faith and Allah. During Ramadan, not much changes in Turkey in terms of tourism, only restaurants will be quieter during the day since the locals do not eat until the sun sets. The last three days, Eid-al-Far, or simply Eid, are celebrated by sharing candy, having big family feasts, and prayers, and visiting family graves. During these last three days, those visiting Istanbul during Ramadan may find its attractions will close or have differing opening times. Mosques will be busy and some may not be open to tourism.
21. Jordan in March
Contributed by Becki at ‘Meet Me In Departures’
Visit Petra Without the Crowds
Why is Jordan one of the best countries to visit in March?
- Visit Petra when the crowds are lower
- Spring flowers will be around making ruins like Jerash and the Citadel of Amman look incredibly photogenic
- Experience Wadi Rum Desert at a more comfortable temperature
Jordan, a captivating nation in the Middle East, is located at the crossroads of Asia, Africa, and Europe. The country is known for its ancient monuments, nature reserves, and seaside resorts. Unarguably, the most famous site is Petra which dates back to around 400 B.C. Other unmissable things to see include Wadi Rum – also known as ‘Mars on Earth’. It’s been the backdrop for numerous films including Lawrence of Arabia and The Martian. It’s worth experiencing Wadi Rum on a 4×4 Jeep Safari. Also, spend a day at the lowest place on earth and bob about in the mineral-rich Dead Sea.
Weather in Jordan In March:
- March signals the beginning of spring in Jordan.
- Average temperatures hover around 17°C (63°F), although daytime temperatures can comfortably reach up to 20°C (68°F), while nights are cooler, often dropping to around 10°C (50°F).
- The weather is generally dry, but occasional showers can occur.
Things to Do in Jordan in March:
- Amman: Explore the bustling capital city with its historic Citadel, Roman Theater, and vibrant Rainbow Street. Don’t miss the Royal Automobile Museum showcasing King Hussein’s personal car collection.
- Petra: See the iconic Treasury and Monastery structures in this ancient city. Consider hiring a local guide to learn about the history of this archaeological site.
- Aqaba: Enjoy a diving or snorkelling tour in the Red Sea. The water is clear and teeming with marine life. Also, pay a visit to the Aqaba Fort, a historic 14th-Century structure.
- Jerash: Visit the ruins of this Roman city, where spring flowers add a dash of colour to the stone structures. The Oval Plaza and the Temple of Artemis are must-see sites.
- Madaba: Known for its Byzantine and Umayyad mosaics, Madaba is perfect for history enthusiasts. The city is home to the Madaba Map, one of the oldest known geographic floor mosaics in art history.
Events / Festivals in Jordan in March:
- Ramadan in Jordan for the year 2024 commences on the evening of Sunday, March 10, and concludes on April 8. This sacred period involves Muslims in Jordan observing fasting from sunrise to sunset. You may notice that local businesses, restaurants, and tourist attractions could operate with limited hours or even be closed during daylight hours. Nevertheless, as the sun sets, a transformative atmosphere takes over as families and communities come together to partake in Iftar, the evening meal that breaks the fast. It’s a unique and enriching opportunity to immerse yourself in the vibrant culture and traditions of Jordan. If you plan to visit during Ramadan, it is advisable to verify the opening hours of the various attractions to make the most of your experience.
Best Countries to Visit in March in North America
Are you planning to visit North America in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
22. Canada in March
Contributed by Chanelle at ‘Chasing Chanelle’
Great Conditions for Skiing
Why is Canada one of the best countries to visit in March?
1. It’s a great time for snow sports
2. There are fewer crowds and prices are cheaper
3. Witness the beginning of spring
Located at the top of North America, Canada is a great place to visit in March, as it still offers the best of winter, while transitioning into spring. The ski season is in full swing, but with longer and warmer days, and cheaper prices than during the height of the winter season. Plus, March can see some of the best snowfall of the year in the mountains! Plus, with fewer crowds, this is one of the best times of year to visit Canadian cities and go sightseeing.
Weather in Canada in March:
- It’s the end of winter and the start of spring.
- Temperatures range across the country from -4 to 10 degrees Celsius / 25 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures are usually still freezing in the Northern and inland provinces, but much of the rest of the country is beginning to warm up with sunnier days and milder temperatures.
- There can still be a lot of snowfall in the mountains, making it ideal skiing weather.
- It’s not uncommon to get heatwaves in Canada in March!
Things to Do in Canada in March:
- Go skiing or snowboarding and enjoy other winter activities like ice skating and tubing in Whistler, Canada’s premier ski resort.
- See more than 40,000 pink and white cherry blossom trees reach their peak in the city of Vancouver.
- Indulge in some of Canada’s best food in Montreal with the Happening Gourmand festival.
- Visit Toronto to go sightseeing, explore museums and do some shopping with fewer crowds and cheaper rates.
- Enjoy a mix of winter and spring activities in Banff, including snow sports in the three surrounding ski resorts and early-season hiking, such as the Johnston Canyon hike.
- See Niagara Falls surrounded by frost and snow (weather-dependent), for a particularly magical view, and without the crowds!
Events / Festivals in Canada in March:
- There are multiple food and wine festivals in Canada in March, including Happening Gourmand in Montreal, International Beerfest in Edmonton, the Vancouver International Wine Festival in Vancouver, and multiple Maple Syrup festivals across the country.
23. Mexico in March
Contributed by Robin at ‘Let’s Travel to Mexico City’
Great Time to Visit the Riviera Maya
Why is Mexico one of the best countries to visit in March?
- March offers ideal weather for exploring Mexico, falling within the dry season that runs from November to April.
- March is an interesting time to visit to experience the religious celebration of Semana Santa (the week of Easter).
- March is also the perfect time to enjoy the gorgeous Mexican beaches of the Riviera Maya.
Mexico is located in North America, bordered by the United States to the north and Belize and Guatemala to the south. It is an enormous country with diverse landscapes, rich history and cultural heritage, making it one of the most exciting destinations to visit.
Weather in Mexico in March:
- March falls within Mexico’s dry season, which starts in November and lasts until April.
- March temperature ranges from 30 degrees during the day to 22 degrees Celsius at night (86 to 72 Fahrenheit).
- With sea temperatures at 26°C (79°F), March is an ideal month for a beach vacation in Mexico.
Things to do in Mexico in March:
- Mexico City: Visit the Zócalo for historical landmarks like the Metropolitan Cathedral. Explore Chapultepec Park and the National Museum of Anthropology. Don’t miss the Frida Kahlo Museum in Coyoacán and try street food like tacos al pastor. Many boutique hotels in CDMX offer pool access for an indulging stay and rooftop bars for sunset views.
- Chichen Itza: Explore the ancient Mayan ruins and one of the seven new wonders of the world – Chichen Itza. Highlights include the iconic El Castillo pyramid, especially captivating around the spring equinox when a “snake” shadow descends its steps.
- Oaxaca: Visit Oaxaca City, known as Mexico’s culinary capital, for a rich blend of indigenous culture and local gastronomy. If you’re there during Semana Santa, experience unique religious traditions that offer valuable cultural insights.
- Tulum: Relax at Tulum Beach for a couple of days. Here, you can explore the Tulum ruins and swim in cenotes, which are plenty in this region.
- Isla Mujeres: Take a day trip to Isla Mujeres, a gem just a ferry ride away from Cancún. This island paradise is known for its stunning white-sand beaches like Playa Norte, and it’s a haven for snorkelers exploring the underwater sculpture museum, MUSA.
Events / Festivals in Mexico in March:
- March is when Mexico celebrates Semana Santa, a testament to the country’s deeply rooted religious traditions. The week is marked by vibrant processions, live enactments, and ornate altars.
Best Countries to Visit in March in Oceania
Are you planning to visit Oceania in March? Check out our list of the best places to travel in March and enjoy your holiday like never before.
24. French Polynesia in March
Contributed by Monica at ‘This Rare Earth’
Perfect for Outdoor Activities
Why is French Polynesia one of the best holiday destinations in March?
1. Lesser crowds
2. The weather starts to get cooler and drier
3. Better deals on flights and accommodations
Located in the South Pacific, French Polynesia is a great place to visit in March. This month’s weather is pleasantly warm with lots of sun and less rain. Outdoor activities are perfect in March, like snorkeling in Moorea and waterfall hikes on Tahiti. The crystal clear water, lush green landscapes, and mountainous peaks make this tropical setting picturesque and perfect.
March is considered a shoulder season, so crowds will be few and accommodation deals can easily be found, making March one of the best times to visit throughout the year.
Weather in French Polynesia In March:
- Shoulder season between summer and winter.
- Rain is lessening and sun is shining.
- Average temperature ranges from a high of 82°F (28°C) to a low of 80°F (27°C).
Things to Do in French Polynesia in March:
- Visit the main island of Tahiti for lush hikes and waterfalls.
- Snorkel in Moorea’s crystal clear lagoons.
- Book a bungalow in Bora Bora for a luxury stay.
- Watch the sunrise and sunset over the Pacific Ocean.
- Visit the Tiki Village Cultural Centre to learn about French Polynesian history.
Events / Festivals in French Polynesia in March:
- Chinese New Year, often celebrated in February or March, holds great significance in French Polynesia, particularly in Tahiti. With a notable Chinese population in the region, the annual lunar New Year celebration is embraced by a large portion of the community, especially in the capital city of Papeete. Festive decorations, including lanterns, adorn the city, while lively parades and breath-taking firework displays unite the population in welcoming the New Year.
25. Australia in March
Contributed by Us at ‘Exit45 Travels’
Mild and Pleasant Weather Ideal for Exploring
Why is Australia one of the top places to visit in the world in March?
- March is Autumn in Australia, and the weather is generally mild and pleasant, making it a great time to explore the country.
- March is considered the shoulder season, meaning there are fewer tourists compared to the peak summer months. This allows for a more peaceful and enjoyable travel experience.
- March is a month filled with festivals and events in Australia.
Australia is a vast and diverse country located in the southern hemisphere, between the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Known for its stunning landscapes, iconic landmarks, unique wildlife, and vibrant cities, Australia is a popular destination for travellers from around the world.
March is a particularly great time to visit Australia due to its pleasant weather and a variety of exciting events and festivals. With the summer season coming to an end, March offers milder temperatures, making it an ideal time for outdoor activities and exploring the country’s natural wonders. Whether you’re looking to relax on pristine beaches, hike through ancient rainforests, or immerse yourself in the lively cultural scene, Australia in March has something to offer for every type of traveller.
Weather in Australia in March:
- The transition from summer to autumn. The weather varies across the country, with some regions still enjoying warm temperatures, while others start to cool down.
- In the northern parts of Australia, such as Darwin and Cairns, March is still considered the wet season. These areas experience high humidity and frequent rainfall, with temperatures ranging from 24 – 32°C (75 – 90°F).
- On the eastern coast, cities like Sydney and Brisbane begin to cool down in March. The average temperatures range from 18 – 25°C (64 – 77°F), making it a pleasant time to explore these cities.
- In the southern parts of Australia, including Melbourne and Adelaide, autumn is in full swing. Temperatures range from 14 – 22°C (57 – 72°F), and there is a higher chance of rainfall. It’s advisable to pack a light jacket or sweater for the cooler evenings.
- In Perth, located in the western part of Australia, March is still warm with temperatures ranging from 17 – 30°C (63 – 86°F). It’s a great time to visit the beautiful beaches and enjoy outdoor activities.
Things to Do in Australia in March:
- March is an excellent month to visit the Great Barrier Reef, as the weather is warm and the water is crystal clear. Take a snorkelling or diving tour to witness the vibrant marine life and stunning coral formations.
- Take a roundtrip from Brisbane to Cairns and visit beautiful towns and sights along the way such Australia Zoo, the Sunshine Coast hinterland towns offering amazing hikes and views of the coastline, 4WD on Fraser Island, visit the mystical Paronella Park, spot an elusive platypus in Yungaburra, and follow the road through Atherton Tablelands and Mareeba before arriving in Cairns
- Experience the vibrant autumn colours of Melbourne and Sydney. Take a stroll through the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne or visit the Royal National Park in Sydney to immerse yourself in nature’s stunning display.
- Witness the breathtaking beauty of Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock, as you explore the Australian Outback. This iconic landmark is even more awe-inspiring in March when temperatures are milder, making it easier to explore. Take a guided tour around Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and learn about its cultural significance while enjoying panoramic views of this natural wonder.
- March offers pleasant weather for outdoor activities, making it an ideal time to visit the Blue Mountains. Embark on scenic hikes, admire breathtaking views, and discover the region’s stunning waterfalls and wildlife.
- Explore the vibrant city of Perth and enjoy the beautiful beaches, visit the famous Kings Park, and explore the buzzing food and bar scene.
Events / Festivals in Australia in March:
- Melbourne Food and Wine Festival: The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival showcases the region’s finest food and wine, featuring tastings, cooking demonstrations, and special dining events.
- Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras: This iconic event takes place in early March and is a celebration of diversity and equality. Join the colourful parade, attend parties and performances, and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of this inclusive festival.
- Adelaide Fringe Festival: Known as Australia’s largest open-access arts festival, the Adelaide Fringe Festival showcases a wide range of performances including comedy shows, live music, theater, and visual arts. Get ready to be entertained by talented artists from around the world.
- Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix: Motorsport enthusiasts shouldn’t miss the opportunity to witness the excitement of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix. Held in Melbourne, this high-octane event attracts racing fans from all over the world.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Australians love to celebrate St. Patrick and it won’t be too hard to find a bar that will welcome you in!
26. New Zealand in March
Contributed by Oli at ‘New Zealand South Island Travel Insider Guide’
Perfect Weather for Outdoor Activities
Why is New Zealand one of the best countries to visit in March?
- While many parts of the USA and Europe experience chilly weather in March, New Zealand offers a warm and pleasant getaway.
- The early autumn weather is perfect for outdoor activities like hiking and water sports.
- March is one of the best times to visit New Zealand. January and February are the peak seasons, so March, the shoulder season, is a great option to avoid the crowds.
This enchanting country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean is an ideal destination during March. New Zealand beckons with its breathtaking landscapes, from the stunning Southern Alps to the pristine beaches, making it a haven for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
Weather in New Zealand in March:
- March is the beginning of autumn in New Zealand. The weather is pleasantly warm, with mild temperatures and clear skies. The average daytime temperature is 70°F (21°C), while the nights bring cooler lows around 59°F (15°C).
- Sunny weather and less rainfall in March make it an excellent time for outdoor adventures.
- The longer days, with daylight savings, mean you get more hours to explore.
Things to Do in New Zealand in March:
- South Island, New Zealand: Explore New Zealand’s South Island on a road trip, offering many outdoor adventures like hiking and camping. In March, the landscape transforms from summer’s lush greenery to vibrant autumn colours, especially enchanting on the South Island.
- Auckland: Explore the city’s vibrant culture, visit Waiheke Island, and savour local cuisine with harbour views while dining al fresco.
- Rotorua: Rotorua is an ideal destination to experience Maori culture and marvel at renowned geothermal wonders while enjoying thermal hot springs.
- Queenstown: Take part in thrilling outdoor adventure activities, including jetboating, bungee jumping, and mountain climbing.
- Kaikoura: Go whale watching, see the seal colonies or swim with dolphins.
Events / Festivals in New Zealand in March:
- Many outdoor events in March include arts, boating, and food festivals.
- Music festivals such as Homegrown in Wellington and WOMAD in New Plymouth offer a chance to immerse yourself in Kiwi culture and music.
FAQs: The Best Countries to Visit in March Worldwide
Now that you have explored the best countries to visit in March around the world, you might still have a few questions. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some frequently asked questions about March travel.
What are the best countries to visit in March?
The best countries to visit in March include Thailand, Mexico, Australia, and the Maldives. These destinations offer beautiful beaches and family-friendly resorts for a perfect vacation.
Where is a good tropical place to travel in March?
In March, the Maldives is a great tropical destination with its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and luxurious resorts.
Where in Europe is warm in March?
The Canary Islands, southern Spain, and southern Portugal are warm destinations in Europe in March.
What are some budget-friendly beach destinations in March?
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly beach getaway in March, consider destinations like Bali, Thailand’s Phuket Island, or Mexico’s Riviera Maya. These locations offer stunning beaches without breaking the bank.
Is it safe to travel during March?
Travel safety can vary depending on the destination. It’s essential to stay updated with travel advisories from reputable sources like government websites or international organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO). Research local safety measures and take necessary precautions before embarking on your journey.
What are some popular activities during March vacations?
March vacations offer plenty of exciting activities depending on your chosen destination. You can enjoy water sports like snorkelling or surfing in beachside paradises like Hawaii or explore cultural landmarks such as ancient temples in Southeast Asia. The possibilities are endless!
Can I find family-friendly beach resorts for a vacation in March?
Absolutely! Many beach resorts cater specifically to families and offer a range of amenities tailored for children. Look out for resorts with kids’ clubs, water parks, and family-friendly entertainment options to ensure a memorable vacation for everyone.
What is Spain like in March?
Spain in March offers mild weather, fewer crowds, and lower prices. It’s a great time to explore cities, enjoy outdoor activities, and visit family-friendly beach resorts.
What’s Italy like in March?
Italy in March offers pleasant weather, fewer crowds, and lower prices. Explore historical sites, enjoy delicious food, and experience local culture.
What is Greece like in March?
Greece in March offers mild weather, fewer crowds, and lower prices. While some beach resorts may not be fully operational, there are still family-friendly options available.
How is Santorini in March?
Santorini in March is generally quiet and less crowded, with mild temperatures and occasional rain. It’s a great time to explore the island’s beauty and enjoy a peaceful vacation.
What is Paris like in March?
Paris in March is a mix of chilly weather and blooming spring. You can explore famous landmarks, visit museums, and enjoy cosy cafes.
Is March a good time to visit Italy and Greece?
Yes, March is a good time to visit Italy and Greece. The weather is mild, there are fewer tourists, and you can enjoy family-friendly beach resorts.
How is Portugal in March?
Portugal in March is mild and pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 10-18°C. It’s a great time to visit for a family-friendly beach vacation.
How is Turkey in March?
Turkey in March is a great time to visit. The weather is mild and there are fewer tourists. It’s a good time to explore historical sites and enjoy the beautiful beaches.
What countries are good to visit in March?
Some countries that are good to visit in March include Thailand, Mexico, Australia, Greece, and Brazil.
In Summary – The Best Countries to Visit in March Worldwide
Now that you have a glimpse of the amazing destinations to visit in March, it’s time to pack your bags and embark on an unforgettable beach holiday. Whether you choose the sun-kissed shores of Australia or the enchanting landscapes of Vietnam, these destinations offer something for everyone. So, grab your swimsuit, slather on some sunscreen, and get ready for an adventure like no other!
Trip Planners For The Best Of World Travel: Related Blog Posts
Want more info to help you plan your next trip? Check out all the articles we’ve written about the ‘Best of World Travel’ in all parts of the world.
- 24 Great Scenic Railway Journeys In The World
- Best Airport Lounges In The World
- 21 Of The Best Countries To Visit In January
- 25 Best Countries to Visit in February
- 26 Best Countries To Visit In September Around The World In 2023
- 27 Of The Best Countries To Visit In October
- 27 Best Countries To Visit In November
- 25 Best Countries to Visit in December
FESTIVALS AROUND THE WORLD IN…
- 35 Of The Best And Biggest Festivals In The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best January Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 20 Of The Best February Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Amazing March Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Of The Top April Festivals Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best Festivals In May Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best June Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- The Ultimate Guide To Festivals In July Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best August Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Popular September Festivals And Events Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best October Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best November Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 13 Of The Best Festivals In March Around The World In 2023 | 2024
Essential Travel Planning Resources
Below are our favourite companies to use for planning our travels. They consistently turn up the best deals, offer great customer service and amazing value, and overall, are better than their competitors. These are always our starting point when we need to book a flight, hotel, tour, car rental etc.
Book a Tour:
We mostly travel independently, however, some places are better to visit with a guided tour. We prefer GetYourGuide for its easy-to-use interface and solid reputation, but we also use Viator.
DISCLAIMER: This article contains affiliate links and Exit45 Travels are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. That means if you click a link and make a purchase, we make a small commission at no extra