Here is our list of the best countries to visit in October, no matter where you are in the world!
Wondering which are the best places to visit in October in the world? This will vary greatly from one person to another depending upon what one is looking for in a holiday. Are you looking for a tropical climate, lots of things to do, off season prices with fewer crowds, unique festivals in October, nature, wildlife spotting or adventure?
As fulltime travellers, this is something we are constantly needing to research and consider when doing our travel planning, and designing our itineraries. We like to slow travel and we are on a budget, so we try to choose destinations where it is the low to shoulder season. In most cases, this means less tourists, lower prices and more bang-for-our-buck when it comes to booking accommodation.
No matter what your requirements and desires, here is our round up of 27 of the best countries to visit in October. With an extensive number of options, travellers are spoilt for choice and there is something there to suit every type of traveller!
So why wait? Pack your bags and embark on a journey to one of these best travel destinations in October. Get ready for an adventure like no other as you explore captivating destinations that promise memories to last a lifetime.
Here is Our List of the 27 Best Countries to Visit in October
Are you planning a holiday in October? Check out our list of the best places to travel in October and enjoy your holiday like never before.
Best Countries to Visit in October in Africa
1. Morocco – Mountains and Deserts
Contributed by Erin at ‘Pina Travels’
Why is Morocco one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Warm temperatures and sunny (but not too hot!)
2. Perfect time to hike and go into the desert
3. Can attend the Erfoud Date Festival
Morocco is in the northwest corner of Africa and is bordered by the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. October is one of the best months to visit because the extremely hot summer weather has passed. You’ll experience sunny, warm days, perfect for walking through medinas and markets, going on desert treks, hiking in Morocco’s mountains, and heading to the beach.
Weather in Morocco In October:
- Autumn / Fall
- Temperatures range from a high of 82°F (27°C) during the day to a low of 60°F (15°C).
- Days are usually warm and sunny, but can get cooler in the evening.
- Temperatures will vary depending on where you are in the country, and at what altitude.
Things to Do in Morocco in October:
- Visit the city of Marrakech to see its markets (medinas), museums, and palaces.
- Take a tour down to the Sahara Desert, and sleep under the stars.
- Visit the Blue City of Chefchaouen, known for its blue-painted homes, doors, and more.
- Visit the imperial city of Fez, famous for its leather tanneries and busy medinas.
- Head to the coastal city of Essouaria to enjoy a slower pace and beautiful beaches.
Events / Festivals in Morocco in October:
- Erfoud Date Festival: This annual festival celebrates the harvest of more than a million date palms in the Erfoud region. After the harvest, people celebrate with traditional music, dancing, and processions. Every year, a date queen is crowned, and there are camel races. At this festival you can enjoy date-infused cuisine, and learn about Berber culture. The festival takes place over three days in early October. Check online for the exact dates, as they vary year-to-year.
2. Zanzibar (Tanzania) – The Ultimate Relaxation Destination
Contributed by Kylie at ‘Between England and Everywhere’
Why is Zanzibar one of the best countries to visit in October?
- Great time for kitesurfing
- Beginning of the quiet down in October as it’s the last month of the peak season
- Warm sunny days
Zanzibar is located just off the coast of Tanzania in Africa and is a good place to visit in October. It has a great mix of history, idyllic beaches and wildlife. Zanzibar is commonly tagged onto the end of a safari trip on the mainland, as a great way to relax and wind down after a lot of game drives!
Weather in Zanzibar in October:
- Dry season runs from June to October with the short rainy season starting in November
- Temperature ranges from 23 degrees to 27 degrees Celsius / 73 degrees to 81 degrees Fahrenheit
- Light winds on the east coast, making it a popular time for kitesurfing
- Sea temperature average 26 degrees Celsius
Things to do in Zanzibar in October:
- Paje Beach – Amazing long stretch of white sandy beach, great for kite surfing due to the lagoon.
- Jozani-Chwaka Bay National Park – For spotting the native Zanzibar Red Colobus Monkey.
- Stone Town – To learn about the history of Zanzibar, visit Freddie Mercury’s house (of ‘Queen’ fame), wander the markets and visit the nearby Spice Farms.
- Prison Island – To see the Aldabra Giant Tortoises that have called the island home for over 100 years.
- Michanwi Pingwe – Eat at the infamous ‘Rock Restaurant’, accessed via row boat during high tides.
Festivals / Events in Zanzibar in October:
- Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel holds a popular full moon party every month. Obviously, the exact day changes during the month, but they publish the dates on their website for the full year. They have a beach fire, acrobatics show and drum dancing.
Best Countries to Visit in October in Asia
3. Thailand – Snorkelling and Scuba Diving
Why is Thailand one of the best countries to visit in October?
- Signals the end of a long monsoon season with cooler temperatures and less humidity compared to other months
- October is also the start of the tourist low season in Thailand, meaning that you can enjoy lower prices and fewer crowds at popular tourist attractions.
- October is a month filled with vibrant festivals and celebrations in Thailand, such as the Vegetarian Festival and the Naga Fireballs Festival.
Thailand is known for its stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters. Whether you’re looking to relax on the sandy shores or engage in thrilling water activities such as snorkelling or scuba diving, Thailand offers a wide range of options that can be enjoyed in October.
Additionally, Thailand is home to vibrant and bustling cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai, where you can explore ancient temples, indulge in delicious street food, and experience the vibrant nightlife. Moreover, Thailand is famous for its rich cultural heritage, with numerous historical sites and landmarks to explore.
Lastly, the warm and welcoming Thai people will make your visit even more memorable with their hospitality and friendly nature. So, if you’re seeking a destination that combines natural beauty, cultural experiences, and warm hospitality, Thailand should definitely be on your travel list!
Weather in Thailand in October:
- Thailand transitions into its “cool” season.
- Temperatures range from 22 degrees to 32 degrees Celsius / 72 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You may experience rain storms but they’re usually very quick with thunder and lightning. Expect these in the late afternoon.
Things to Do in Thailand in October:
- Visit Bangkok without the crowds and see the Grand Palace and Temple of the Reclining Buddha.
- No visit to Chiang Mai is complete without meandering through the Night Markets or a visit to Doi Suthep temple.
- Chiang Rai and Pai in Northern Thailand will be wet, but the scenery is beautiful in these mountain locations in October.
- If you are looking to visit a beach, both Phuket on the west coast and Koh Samui in the east are good options. Enjoy the outdoors in the morning when the sun is shining, and if it rains in the afternoon, treat yourself to a massage or go shopping.
- Perfect conditions for snorkelling and scuba diving in the Phi Phi Islands.
- Learn how to cook one of the many traditional Thai food dishes by taking a cooking class.
- Enjoy a massage, or even better still, treat yourself to a Day Spa Experience.
Events / Festivals in Thailand in October:
- Phuket Vegetarian Festival – Most commonly known as the Jay Festival, it is also known as the Nine Emperor Gods Festival or Vegetarian Festival. This Taoist celebration takes place over nine days mostly by the Chinese communities, although locals tend to join in too. During the nine-day period, participants must follow a set of 10 rules, including a vegan diet without pungent ingredients (such as onions or garlic) and abstinence from vices such as drugs, alcohol and sex. The Phuket Vegetarian Festival is infamous for its mutilation rituals including impaling, cutting, skinning and bloodletting.
- Naga Fireballs Festival – This festival takes place every year in October around the full moon, when mysterious smokeless, soundless and odourless fireballs rise into the sky 30 metres from the Mekong River around Nong Khai, with no scientific explanation as to how.
4. Vietnam – Stunning Landscapes
Why is Vietnam one of the best holiday destinations to visit in October?
- Ideal for visiting the North and South of Vietnam
- Low season so one of the cheaper months to visit
- Cheapest month to fly to Vietnam
- Best time to see the golden rice fields in Vietnam it is the harvest time
The weather in October is quite pleasant with cooler temperatures and lower humidity compared to the summer months. This makes it an ideal time to explore the country’s stunning natural landscapes such as Ha Long Bay and the Mekong Delta, without feeling too hot or uncomfortable. In addition, October marks the end of the rainy season in the north and south of Vietnam, so you can expect clearer skies and less chance of rainfall. This means you can fully enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and exploring the vibrant streets of Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City.
October is a month filled with cultural celebrations and festivals in Vietnam. The Mid-Autumn Festival, for example, is celebrated with colourful lanterns, traditional performances, and delicious mooncakes. It offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in Vietnamese culture and witness the locals’ enthusiasm for their traditions.
The best part for visitors to Vietnam at this time of year is it means fewer crowds and lower prices compared to the peak tourist season. You can take advantage of this by experiencing popular attractions like the historical sites of Hanoi, or a cruise on Halong Bay with more ease and at a more affordable cost. Overall, October presents a fantastic opportunity to discover the beauty, culture, and affordability that Vietnam has to offer.
Weather in Vietnam in October:
- North Vietnam – End of the wet season with temperatures dropping sharply (averaging 25°C / 77°F for the month) as the region edges towards the cool, dry winter.
- Central Vietnam – The northeast monsoon is at its peak, with heavy storms and prolonged rains and knee- or waist-high flooding, particularly in Hoi An. Temperatures average around 24 – 27°C / 75 – 81°F.
- South Vietnam – Still expect on average 14 days out of the month of rain, but it is not as heavy as September and grows light as the month progresses. Temperatures hold steady throughout the month, averaging 27°C / 81°F.
Things to Do in Vietnam in October:
- The weather in the popular mountainous regions of Sapa, Mu Cang Chai and Ha Giang is now mostly dry and sunny making it perfect for trekking.
- Explore the beautiful city of Hanoi and take a cruise in Halong Bay.
- Cycle into the countryside to see villagers hard at work bringing the rice harvest in from the rice paddy fields.
- Visit Ho Chi Minh City to learn its prominent history in various museums showcasing Vietnam’s wartime history, or simply wander the streets enjoying its French colonial architecture.
- See the floating markets of the Mekong Delta which are flush with produce in October.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the southern beach resorts of Phan Thiet and Mui Ne, and the islands of Con Dao and Phu Quoc.
- See Green Turtle hatchlings emerge from eggs under the sand and make their first steps to the sea around the island of Con Dao.
- Go birdwatching in Cat Tien National Park and try to spot the 348 different species, or be on the look our for elephant, monkeys, Siamese crocodiles, or the endangered Javan rhinoceros.
Events / Festivals in Vietnam in October:
- Tet Trung Thu (Mid-Autumn Festival) – This fun festival features lion dances and fanciful red lanterns to help a legendary moon-bound figure back to Earth. It’s popular with children, who get special entertainment, toys, and treats such as moon cakes.
- Khmer Oc Bom Boc Festival – Colourful boat races are a highlight of this festival, celebrated by the Mekong Delta’s Khmer community in late October. The best places to witness this festival are on the Soc Trang River and at Ba Dong Beach (in Tra Vinh province).
5. Cambodia – Temples of Angkor Wat
Why is Cambodia one of the best places to go abroad in October?
- Beginning of the dry season
- Cooler temperatures and less humidity
- Shoulder / low season prices and less tourists
- Early season promotional offers, especially in upmarket resorts in Siem Reap
The weather in October is generally pleasant, with cooler temperatures and less humidity compared to other months. This makes it a great time to explore the stunning temples of Angkor Wat and other historical sites without feeling too hot or uncomfortable. Additionally, October is the beginning of the dry season in Cambodia, which means you are less likely to experience heavy rainfall or monsoons. This allows for more enjoyable outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and exploring the beautiful countryside.
October is also a great time to immerse yourself in Cambodian culture and witness traditional festivals such as Pchum Ben, a religious holiday where locals honour their ancestors.
Be aware, flooding, mud, road damage, and slips can impinge on overland travel during this month, so it is best to fly directly to your destination from elsewhere in Cambodia or Asia.
Weather in Cambodia in October:
- The weather during this time is generally pleasant, with cooler temperatures and less humidity compared to other months.
- It is the beginning of the dry season in Cambodia, which means you are less likely to experience heavy rainfall or monsoons.
- The average temperatures are between 25°C to 31°C / 77°F to 89°F.
- Still expect rain, especially on the coast, so be prepared with a waterproof jacket.
Things to Do in Cambodia in October:
- Great time to explore the stunning temples of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap. without feeling too hot or uncomfortable, and with far fewer tourists.
- Visit the historical sights of the Royal Palace and the National Museum in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
- Learn about the not-too-distant history of the Khmer Rouge regime by visiting Prison 21 / Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, and the Killing Fields.
- Best time to visit Tonle Sap when the water of the Mekong River becomes so powerful, the lake’s size increases to about 15,000 km squared with a depth of 8 metres.
- Relax at one of the stunning beach resorts on one of Cambodia’s islands such as Koh Rong.
Events / Festivals in Cambodia in October:
- Bonn Pchum Ben – An important 15 day Buddhist festival which is celebrated throughout the country where locals honour their ancestors.
6. South Korea – Natural Beauty
Contributed by Joel at ‘In My Korea’
Why is South Korea one of the best countries to visit in October?
- Amazing fall foliage viewing spots
- Nature and culture festivals
- Perfect weather for hiking in Korea’s national parks.
South Korea is located in far East Asia, surrounded by coasts on three sides with hundreds of small islands dotted along the south coast. The country is more than 70% mountainous and blessed with natural beauty; from rocky peaks and hiking trails through to its many beaches and coastal walkways.
Korea’s unique culture, which is quickly spreading around the world through K-Pop, K-Dramas, and K-Food, draws in millions of visitors to its cities and countryside. Unlike Japan and South East Asia, which suffers from typhoons and unpredictable weather in October, Korea is warm, with clear skies. Visit Korea in October to enjoy the best that the country has to offer.
Weather in South Korea in October:
- October in Korea is the middle of fall / Autumn.
- Temperatures range from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius / 59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, and may drop to as low as 5 / 41 at night.
- The weather during October is some of the best Korea experiences throughout the year as it’s warm, calm, and mostly sunny.
- Air pollution is at its lowest at this time of year, making it perfect for exploring outside in the Korean countryside.
Things to Do in South Korea in October:
- Head to Korea’s ancient Gyeongju City to see pink muhly bushes, silver reeds, beautiful gardens, and UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Gyeongju Historic Area.
- Visit a night market in Seoul on the banks of the Han River to see Korean busking, try Korean street food, buy local craft products, and soak up the atmosphere.
- Hike in Seoraksan National Park to see the first fall foliage in Korea, leafy valleys, giant Buddhist statues, and ride a cable car to a peak that looks out over the East Sea. Also visit Naejangsan National Park for late-October fall foliage sights. This really is one of the best countries to visit in the Fall!
- Explore Changdeokgung Palace and the Secret Garden in Seoul dressed in Korean traditional hanbok clothes and see palaces bedecked with fall foliage.
- Join a Templestay Experience at one of Korea’s many Buddhist temples, such as Bulguksa Temple in Gyeongju, and experience a weekend of nature, harmony, self-reflection, and healthy temple food.
Events / Festivals in South Korea in October:
- The Jinju Lantern Festival is one of Korea’s biggest lantern festivals with the centre of the town of Jinju covered in thousands of colorful lanterns, some as tall as the dragons and castles they’re based on.
- Learn about Korean traditional culture at the Andong Mask Dance Festival, which showcases Korea’s unique mask performances, in the historic city of Andong. As well as the mask dances, there are also taekwondo performances, traditional games, and music shows.
- Head to the beach resort of Gangneung for the Gangneung Coffee Festival, a celebration of Korea’s love of the black bean, which draws the best baristas, looking to demonstrate their craft. Relax on the beach with a freshly brewed coffee.
7. Japan – Autumn Foliage
Contributed by Nele at ‘The Navigatio’
Why is Japan one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Japan’s autumn foliage is beautiful in October
2. It’s much cheaper to visit in October compared to cherry blossom season
3. The temperatures are great for travelling around Japan
Located in East Asia, Japan is one of the most unique countries to visit. Being an island, Japan was isolated from other countries and cultures for centuries. This allowed it to form unique traditions and customs. While Japan is now welcoming ideas and influences from around the world, it still remains filled with unique history, landmarks and temples. From the sacred Mount Fuji and countless Shinto shrines to its advanced technology and pop culture, Japan is famous for its many contrasts.
Weather in Japan In October:
- Autumn – comfortable temperatures outside of Japan’s rainy season.
- Temperatures range from 15 degrees to 23 degrees Celsius / 59 to 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Typically sunny weather, but best to bring a jacket for the evening as temperatures drop at night.
Things to Do in Japan in October:
- Visit Kyoto’s Kiyomizu-dera viewing platform for a beautiful panorama of red and golden autumn leaves.
- Take a day trip to Nikko, a great place to enjoy the autumn foliage near Tokyo.
- Hike up Mt Takao – October has perfect temperatures for outdoor activities.
- Visit Lake Kawaguchiko or Hakone for a chance to see Mount Fuji. October is a great time to try and catch this famous volcano, as it often hides behind the clouds during other times of the year.
- Dress in Kimono while exploring Kyoto’s ancient geisha district.
- Cycle the Shimanami Kaido – a famous cycling track that connects Japan’s main island with Shikoku island.
Events / Festivals in Japan in October:
- Tokyo Ramen Festival – Enjoy one of Japan’s best dishes at the official ramen festival. The entree is free, but you pay a small fee per bowl of ramen you’d like to try.
- Halloween – Even though Halloween may be a more Western holiday, it’s also a big deal in Japan. If you happen to be in Tokyo on Halloween, you’ll be in for a treat. Tokyo Disneyland hosts official Halloween events, but you can also go to Shibuya or Shinjuku to see tons of people dressed up.
8. Indonesia – Ancient Temples to Perfect Diving
Contributed by Victoria at ‘Guide Your Travel’
Why is Indonesia one of the best travel destination in October?
1. Crowds are fewer at the major tourist attractions: October falls within Indonesia’s shoulder season, which means that popular tourist destinations like Bali, Yogyakarta, and Komodo National Park are less crowded compared to the peak months. Travellers can enjoy a more relaxed and immersive experience, exploring iconic landmarks such as Borobudur Temple, Ubud’s rice terraces, and the Komodo dragons without the usual throngs of tourists.
2. Low-season rates: As October is considered part of the low season in Indonesia, travellers can take advantage of lower accommodation rates, flight prices, and tour packages. This makes it an ideal time for budget-conscious travellers or those seeking a more affordable vacation without compromising the country’s natural beauty and cultural richness.
Located in Southeast Asia, Indonesia is a captivating destination with its diverse landscapes, vibrant cultures, and warm hospitality. The country is known for its breathtaking beaches, lush rainforests, ancient temples, and unique wildlife. From the famous island of Bali with its stunning beaches and vibrant arts scene to the historical treasures of Yogyakarta and the enchanting beauty of Komodo Island, Indonesia offers a wealth of experiences for every type of traveller.
Weather in Indonesia in October:
- It is the transition period from the dry season to the wet season in Indonesia.
- Temperatures range from around 25 to 30 degrees Celsius / 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit, providing a comfortable climate for outdoor activities.
- Rainfall may increase towards the end of October, particularly in regions like Bali and Java, so it’s advisable to pack a light raincoat or umbrella.
Things to Do in Indonesia in October:
- Join a group tour around Bali and its neighbouring islands.
- Explore the temples of Yogyakarta, including the iconic Borobudur and Prambanan temples.
- Embark on a trekking adventure to Mount Bromo and witness its otherworldly sunrise views.
- Dive or snorkel in the pristine waters of Raja Ampat, known for its extraordinary marine biodiversity.
- Experience the cultural richness of Bali, attending vibrant temple festivals and exploring traditional markets.
- Visit the Komodo National Park to see the ancient dragons and enjoy snorkelling in crystal-clear waters.
Events / Festivals in Indonesia in October:
- Bali Arts Festival: Experience a month-long celebration of Balinese arts and culture, featuring traditional dances, music performances, and art exhibitions.
- Jember Fashion Carnival: Witness a spectacular parade of vibrant costumes and elaborate floats showcasing Indonesia’s diverse fashion heritage.
- Nusa Dua Fiesta: Enjoy a cultural extravaganza in Bali, featuring traditional music, dance performances, and culinary delights.
9. Maldives – Best Place to Travel in October for Warm Weather
Contributed by Mayuri at ‘Fernwehrahee’
Why is Maldives one of the best October holiday destinations?
1. Transition month from wet season to dry season as the rainy season is about to over
2. The sea temperature remains warm and inviting
3. Being Off-peak Season, resort prices will be lower and you can get discounts!
4. October remains a quieter month with fewer crowds compared to the peak tourist season!
Maldives is one of the best tropical islands located in the Indian Ocean, southwest of Sri Lanka. It is an island nation made up of 26 coral atolls, which are composed of more than 1,000 coral islands! It is renowned for its stunning white sandy beaches, crystal-clear turquoise waters, and abundant marine life and is popularly known for its luxury resorts and overwater bungalows!
Maldives is a Muslim country and it is separated into Local Islands where locals live, and Resort Islands which are solely private island resorts with overwater bungalows! It is a no brainer to see why the Maldives is famous as being one of the best honeymoon islands with blue turquoise water!!
Weather in the Maldives in October:
- October is a transition month as the rainy season is over
- Temperatures are getting warmer with 25 to 31 degrees Celsius / 77 to 88 degrees Fahrenheit which is perfect for taking a dip in the ocean.
- Maldives has a tropical climate so you can expect humidity in this month!
- Expect a few short rain showers during the day, but overall days will be sunny and warm!
- The sea temperature remains warm and inviting, ranging from around 27 to 29 degrees Celsius / 81 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit, which is also perfect for exploring the vibrant marine life!
Things to Do in the Maldives in October:
- Despite the occasional rainfall, you can still indulge in water activities like snorkelling, scuba diving, jet skiing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, and windsurfing at one of the islands.
- Go Island hopping – Explore different shades of blue while staying at different resorts and enjoying the amenities!
- The Maldives is famous for its pristine, white sandy beaches, so enjoy some relaxing time while sunbathing on the beach!
- Go for a sunset cruise on the traditional Dhoni boat of Maldives to watch the sunset colours!
- Visit the capital city, Male – explore local culture and traditions, historic sites, and the Maldives National Museum, wander through the colourful local markets, and taste the delicious Maldivian cuisine!
- Go for the Sandbar & Dolphin Watching Tour – One of the must-do activities in the Maldives! You can witness sandbars surrounding the islands at the lowest point and spot the dolphins swimming and leaping in the crystal-clear waters surrounding the islands.
- Visit the local islands of Maldives to see the local way of living! The beaches are dedicated to tourists as bikini beaches but be respectful of their culture being a Muslim country!
10. Nepal – On Top of the World
Contributed by Catherine at ‘Nomadicated’
Why is Nepal one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. End-of-season fewer crowds on popular Himalayan treks like Annapurna and Everest Base Camp
2. Best month for kayaking and rafting excursions
3. Biggest festivals of the year
Nepal boasts an incredible diversity of culture and nature, and October is an excellent time to cross off some bucket list adventures. The weather in October is mild, offering ideal post-monsoon conditions for trekking and river sports before it gets too cold. From the soaring Himalayan peaks to jungle forests and ancient temples, visitors in October can go from adrenaline-pumping activities to participating in traditional cultural festivities in one day.
Weather in Nepal In October:
- Fall / Autumn – Shoulder season between monsoon rains and freezing winter temperatures.
- Daytime temperatures average around 20 degrees Celsius / 68 degrees Fahrenheit and are generally sunny with clear blue skies.
- Nights are chilly, especially at higher elevations.
Things to Do in Nepal in October:
- As the hiking season ends, trek popular Himalayan routes through the Annapurna region, Everest Base Camp, and more with much fewer crowds.
- Heighten your adrenaline on 1 – 10 day rafting expeditions on some of the most challenging rivers in the world, like the Karnali and Trisuli Rivers during the post-monsoon floods.
- Take a jungle safari in Chitwan National Park and spot rare wildlife such as Bengal tigers and one-horned rhinoceroses with much fewer leeches than during monsoon season.
- Go paragliding in the picturesque city of Pokhara.
- Discover traditional Newari architecture and culture in the ancient city of Bhaktapur.
- Witness breathtaking sunrises and sunsets over the Himalayas from Nagarkot.
Events / Festivals in Nepal in October:
- Dashain: This is the biggest festival in Nepal, celebrated over 15 days in late September or early October. It marks the victory of good over evil and is characterized by feasting, music, dance, and colourful lights.
- Tihar: Also known as the Festival of Lights, Tihar is a five-day celebration in late October or early November. Each day is special, with rituals and offerings made to different animals and objects, including cows, dogs, and crows.
11. Turkey – Dramatic Landscapes
Contributed by Haley at ‘Haley Blackall Travel’
Why is Turkey one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Mild / warm sunny weather
2. Crowds are fewer at the major tourist attractions in the mornings
3. Shoulder season rates
Turkey has one of the most unique locales in the world. Spanning both the European continent and Asian continent, it presents a beautiful melting pot of cultures. When visiting Turkey’s metropolis of Istanbul, you can take a scenic 20-minute ferry ride across the Bosphorus straight and see both continents in one day. Turkey is one of the best countries to visit on a budget, with fantastic street food, beautiful housewares and incredibly diverse landscapes all at a decently affordable price.
Weather in Turkey In October:
- Fall / Autumn season
- Temperatures range from 20 – 27 degrees Celsius / 68 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit
- You will find hotter temperatures in the beach towns like Antalya to the south
- You can expect sunny days and chilly evenings in Istanbul in October
Things to Do in Turkey in October:
- Partake in a scenic hot air balloon ride over the otherworldly landscapes of Cappadocia.
- Visit the famous Pamukkale thermal baths and take a dip in Cleopatra’s pool.
- Visit the ancient ruins of Ephesus dating back to the 10th Century BC.
- Take a beach day on Antalya’s 7km stretch of Konyaalti Beach.
- Take a delicious street food tour in Istanbul and peruse the iconic spice market.
- Relax at a beach resort such as Marmaris.
- Visit the many historical and natural attractions in Alanya.
Events / Festivals in Turkey in October:
- The Air Games – The southern beach towns of Fethiye and Oludeniz host the Air Games. Visitors can watch in awe as skydivers, hang gliders and paragliders all take to the sky in a festival of colour and movement. Travellers can also expect a display by the Turkish Air Force as they zip through the clouds.
12. India – Festival Season
Contributed by Mariellen at ‘Breathe Dream Go’
Why is India one of the best countries to visit in October?
- It’s festival season.
- Temperatures are hot in the daytime, but pleasant in the morning and evening. Towards the end of the month, the temperature becomes pleasant all day.
- Tourist season is just beginning so it’s less crowded.
India is the seventh largest country on earth, the most populous, and is home to one of the oldest continuous cultures. A subcontinent, India also boasts a very wide range of landscapes from the snow-capped Himalayan range to lush jungles, and from vast deserts to white sand beaches. The climate changes dramatically across India, and from season to season, but in October it is almost universally pleasant, though it can be hot in the afternoon in many places.
Weather in India In October:
- October is the transition month from summer to winter
- In India, the temperature depends a lot on where you go. In the capital Delhi, temperatures range from 20 to 33 degrees Celsius / 68 to 91 degrees Fahrenheit
- Days are hot and sunny, mornings and evenings are pleasant
- Monsoon has recently ended and everywhere is lush and green
Things to Do in India in October:
- Spend 3 days in Delhi diving into the many fascinating historic sites and neighbourhoods of this megalopolis.
- Explore the Western Ghats, a mountain range in southwest India, as it will be incredibly green following the monsoon.
- Try to spot a tiger in one of India’s many tiger reserves – they open on October 1st each year (after being closed for monsoon).
- Enjoy the coolness of Coorg, a highland region in the south known as the “Scotland of India”.
- Take the toy train to Darjeeling and visit some of the famous tea gardens.
- Visit the city of Amritsar to see the Golden Temple and enjoy the incredible culinary scene.
- Join a Yoga course in Rishikesh, the Yoga capital of the world.
Events / Festivals in India in October:
- Diwali – Usually, Diwali falls in October (some years it is in early November so you have to check). The date is based on the lunar cycle, which is why it changes. Diwali is the biggest festival of the year, though it is celebrated in unique ways across the country, depending on the local culture. Called the Festival of Lights, Diwali is a Hindu festival that celebrates the return of Lord Ram and Sita from exile. Families gather and light diyas (candles), eat sweets, and watch plays called Ram Lilas. There are lots of ways tourists can celebrate Diwali and the other festivals of India by staying in a local guest house and following the customs and festivities with the family.
Best Countries to Visit in October in Central and South America
13. Argentina – Trekking and Vineyards
Contributed by Alex at ‘Career Gappers’
Why is Argentina one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. The trekking season in Patagonia begins
2. Cherry blossoms come out in Spring
3. Vineyards bloom as wine season gets under way
Argentina is a country that covers a vast and geographically diverse section of South America. Its natural landmarks are often drastic, from the snow-capped Andean mountains in the west to the colossal Iguassu Falls waterfall system on the Brazilian border in the east, and from the sweeping ancient red rock formations of the tropical north to the glaciers, lakes and granite towers of Patagonia in the deep south.
Weather in Argentina In October:
- The beginning of spring brings moderate climes in the south and warmth in the north.
- Buenos Aires and other cities bloom into flower.
- Temperature ranges vary from 12–27 degrees Celsius / 54 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit in Salta (far north) to 1–10 degrees Celsius / 34 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit in Ushuaia (far south).
- Trails open in the far south as the fierce winds begin to relax and the temperature becomes mild enough to trek.
Things to Do in Argentina in October:
- Spend the month in Patagonia and explore the sprawling landscapes of Torres Del Paine and Los Glaciares National Park.
- Set off to Antarctica on the first cruise ships of the season.
- See Magellanic penguins in season along with other wildlife like condors, pumas and Patagonia foxes.
- Explore blooming vineyards in Mendoza or Cafayate as wine season begins.
- See the gargantuan Iguassu Falls at its peak during the wettest month in the region.
Events / Festivals in Argentina in October:
- Oktoberfest Argentina – the country may be more renowned for its wine, but craft beer is huge in Argentina too. The small town of Villa General Belgrano in the Córdoba province welcomes tens of thousands of visitors for one of the world’s biggest Oktoberfest celebrations.
14. Colombia – National Parks
Contributed by Giorgy at ‘gextremetravel’
Why is Colombia one of the best countries to visit in October?
- There are fewer people visiting the main tourist sights.
- Great for exploring the country’s incredible National Parks.
- Due to low season, affordable prices.
Colombia is located in the north-western region of South America. Colombia’s diversity is impressive, with two coastlines, a variety of climates, bustling urban areas, incredible wildlife, and numerous activities to enjoy, such as kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, paragliding, surfing, diving, and dancing.
Weather in Colombia In October:
- October is considered a part of the dry season, characterized by hot days.
- Temperatures reach up to 28°C / 82°F.
- The relative humidity in October reaches its peak at 80%.
- This is a good time to visit this country because there are fewer tourists.
Things to Do in Colombia in October:
- Visit the city of Medellín and learn about the city’s rich street art history in Comuna 13.
- Explore the Walled City of Cartagena on foot while enjoying the Caribbean atmosphere.
- Go on a jungle trek through Tayrona National Park. Explore Taganga village and its beaches. But be aware of weather reports and rainfall during this period!
- Experience Cali’s vibrant nightlife and learning Salsa dance class.
- In October, you can go on a whale watching tour in Nuquí and Buenaventura to witness this amazing experience.
Events / Festivals in Colombia in October:
- Yipao Festival: Every October, Armenia celebrates an annual festival called Yipao. During this event, participants drive their colourful jeeps and trucks through the streets of Armenia as a symbol of pride for the region’s culture and heritage.
- Theatre Festival: Colombia hosts an international theatre festival in October in Leticia. This festival showcases promising local talent such as playwrights, actors, directors, and set designers.
- World Coleo Encounter: This event is held in Tunja, Colombia every October and celebrates the country’s traditional sport of colero. It includes competitions between riders and their horses.
- Mompox Jazz Festival: Every October, Mompox hosts an annual jazz festival that features some of the best jazz musicians from the region.”
15. Peru – Hiking and Ancient Sites
Contributed by Claudia at ‘My Adventures Across the World’
Why is Peru one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Great for hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
2. Shoulder season with lower crowds but close to perfect weather
3. Low-season rates
Located in South America, Peru is one of the best places to visit in October thanks to a combination of almost perfect weather throughout the country (it’s the end of the dry season, so chances of rain are still low) and cheaper rates. Known for the dramatic peaks of the Andes, Peru is a fabulous mix of beautiful colonial cities such as Arequipa and Cusco; magnificent archaeological sites such as Machu Picchu and the other ruins of the Sacred Valley; pristine landscapes such as those of the Amazon basin, and delicious food.
Weather in Peru In October:
- It is Spring, and the very end of the rainy season.
- Temperatures range from 16 degrees to 21 degrees Celsius / 61 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit but the country has several climates and areas, so the Amazon tends to be much warmer and the Andes can be colder.
- Days are mostly sunny, but it can get cold in the evening in the Andes region. Lima is still quite cold. Towards the end of the month, there are higher chances of rain.
- It is still very hot and humid in the Amazon basin.
Things to Do in Peru in October:
- Fly over the Nazca Lines and try to uncover one of the many mysteries of Peru.
- Explore the Colca Canyon: visit the villages and markets, enjoy hiking to the most isolated places, admire condors as they fly high in the sky.
- Visit Arequipa, the White City of Peru surrounded by mighty volcanoes, and learn the story of Juanita at the Museo Santuarios Andinos.
- Walk the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with a fraction of the usual crowds and see Machu Picchu enveloped in clouds for an even more unique experience.
- Spend a night or two with a local family in the Lake Titicaca region and learn about the daily challenges, the culture and the lifestyle of the Aymara people of Peru.
- Enjoy all the Peruvian flavours during a street food tour of Lima.
- Go in search of caymans and sloths in Tambopata Nature Reserve.
Events / Festivals in Peru in October:
- In October, Lima sees the Procesión del Señor de los Milagros (Procession of the Lord of Miracles in English). The festival celebrates a miracle of the 18th Century, when Lima was almost entirely destroyed by an earthquake which however spared an iconic image of Jesus Christ. To celebrate the miracle, a procession takes place in the city with thousands of people dressed in purple. The festival takes place for several days at the end of the month, and culminates with the parade of 28 October which is the date of the actual earthquake.
Best Countries to Visit in October in Europe
16. Spain – Sensory Overload
Contributed by Kristin at ‘Global Travel Escapades’
Why is Spain one of the best holiday places in October?
1. Can comfortably enjoy your activities without extreme heat or excessive rainfall.
2. Wine harvesting season
3. Discounts on accommodation/ housing compared to the summer season
Located on the Iberian Peninsula, Spain is a fabulous destination to visit during October. During October, there are lots of celebrations happening across the country that provide you with an authentic look into the local culture. Additionally, the country has a fascinating history and some of the most impressive architecture and is an overall lovely place to explore during October.
Weather in Spain in October:
- Fall / Autumn – mild and pleasant
- Temperatures range from 15° to 26° Celcius / 59 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit
- In Northern Spain, you can expect a few rainy days a month, and mostly warm and sunny days in Southern Spain.
Things to Do in Spain in October:
- Visit the vibrant city of Barcelona, where you can indulge in tasty street food and see the impressive works of art by Antoni Gaudí.
- Admire the striking architecture and artwork inside the world-famous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.
- Wander through the Catedral de Sevilla, a Roman Catholic Cathedral that is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Soak up the sun at Playa de la Concha and Playa de Ondarreta, two of San Sebastian’s most picturesque beaches.
- Explore the Museo El Prado or boat across the lake in El Retiro Park in Spain’s capital city, Madrid.
- Stroll through the bustling, local Mercat Central d’Alacant and taste the flavours of Alicante.
Events / Festivals in Spain in October:
- Fiestas del Pilar: A week-long annual festival in Zaragoza that is held at the beginning of October. This vibrant and joyous celebration honours the city’s patron saint, the Virgen del Pilar, and includes a diverse range of events, such as colourful parades, offering of flowers, and religious ceremonies and masses.
17. Italy – Amazing Cuisine
Contributed by Louisa at ‘Eating Around Italy’
Why is Italy one of the best holiday destinations for October?
1. Indulge in flexibility. Not being tied to mandatory reservations of restaurants, museums, trains, etc., allows you to enjoy Italy at ease, without the stress of seeing it all and traveling and eating based on recommendations or other agendas.
2. Beat the Italian heat which can be over 43°C / 109°F in the hottest months. Much of Italy’s greatest monuments are outdoors, making them hard to enjoy under scorching sun.
3. Safer and easier to navigate because of fewer crowds and enormous cruise tour groups.
The Italian peninsula has a Mediterranean climate that is, for the most part, comfortable and lovely to travel in, no matter the region or area you are visiting. Located within the EU, Italy is one of the warmest countries, bordering Africa and surrounded by the Mediterranean sea. Because of this, the fall / Autumn climate is mild and temperate, making it ideal for travel.
Italy’s location and its ‘stepping stone’ role between Africa and other European countries, has made Italy a solid melting pot for history and culture. Italian culture is rich and engaging throughout the entire country yet at the same time you don’t need to travel far to find enormous differences in regional cuisine, language, art, architecture, traditions and activities.
Italy’s landscape is diverse, offering a vast variety of experiences in the mountains, on the seaside and on the mainland, making it the ideal location for the whole family. And you can’t forget about all the amazing Italian food, which is a whole reason in itself to visit!
Weather in Italy in October:
- Fall / Autumn – temperate, mild and comfortable
- Temperature ranges are quite large depending on your location. Northern Italy ranges from 7-18°C / 45-64°F, averaging in at about 13°C / 55°F, between 13-21°C / 55-70°F, 17°C / 63°F on average, in the central regions and between 18-24°C / 64-75°F in southern Italy and its islands, with an average of 21°C / 70°F.
- Days can be quite warm but the evenings tend to cool off quite a bit
- Expect some rainy days
Things to Do in Italy in October:
- Visit the Amalfi Coast, Herculaneum and Pompeii in Campania. Many popular destinations such as the Blue Grotto on the Island of Capri or the ruins at Pompeii are significantly less busy and the colours are much more vibrant. Summer heat tends to dull everything in southern Italy and the tourist kick up a lot of dust. But with a bit of rain and with school back in session, these amazing experiences are brought back to life.
- Book a seaside beach front in Sicily (cefalù recommended) when the weather is still warm enough to spend your days under umbrellas.
- Indulge in a long wine tasting in one of Italy’s famous vineyards in either Chianti, Piemonte or Sicily, just to name a few. Many wineries allow visitors to experience the vendemmia or grape harvest in many parts of the peninsula at this time of year, followed by a grand wine tasting, winery visit and estate tour, all of which is much more enjoyable on cooler days.
- Take part in the olive harvest in Tuscany, go to a frantoio to see how extra-virgin olive oil is milled and feast on an olive oil harvest meal with the locals.
- Visit Italy’s most popular tourist destinations such as Florence, Venice and Rome without the crowds of visitors. Be sure to book museum visits and enjoy actually reflecting and viewing the art instead of trying to beat around the overwhelming number of tour groups. Give way to vast piazzas and panoramic overlooks, free of floods of tourists, and enjoy an aperitivo or cocktail in one of these central locations (Piazza San Marco in Venice, Piazza Navona in Rome or Piazza della Signoria in Florence).
Events / Festivals in Italy in October:
- Alba White Truffle Festival (Piedmont): Starting in October, this is the largest and best truffle fair in Italy in which you can partake in classes, view demonstrations, sign up for lectures and of course, taste and purchase any kind of truffle ever found!
- Boccaccesca Food and Wine Festival (Certaldo, Tuscany): this food and wine festival is a trip through time. Watch Medieval re-enactments as you eat and drink your heart out in the small, idyllic streets of the small town of Certaldo. Featuring local products and farmers, this festival is a great way to try authentic, traditional Tuscan dishes while getting lost in the local culture and traditions. You certainly won’t run into many tourists here.
- The Venice Biennale (Venice): This is a world-famous international contemporary art exhibit running for about half the year, organized every two years.
- International Rome Film Fest (Rome): If you love cinema, buy tickets in advance and feast your eyes on some of the best cinematic creations of the year.
- The International Eurochocolate Festival (Perugia, Umbria): One of the largest chocolate festivals in all of Italy. Get a tasting pass and sample various artisan chocolates before purchasing your favourite treats to bring home.
- Lucca Comics and Games International Convention (Lucca, Tuscany): For all video game, comic and cartoon enthusiasts. Sign up for re-enactments, partake in games or view various exhibitions in one of Tuscany’s most underrated destinations.
- New Olive Oil Festival (throughout Italy): Check dates and locations for a local olive oil festival when you are visiting in October. What better way to eat in Italy than at a local festival with a food that is the cornerstone to Italian cuisine and local economy?
- Sagra dell’Uva (Marino, Lazio): Just outside of Rome, this grape festival is just an example of the many food festivals that you might come across while traveling in Italy in October. Enjoy not only several dishes made with newly harvested grapes but also, regional specialties that will knock your socks off. There is no better experience than a sagra to feel a part of Italy.
18. France – The Art and Architecture
Contributed by Lisa at ‘Waves and Cobblestones’
Why is France one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Less crowds, so you’re able to experience more top attractions
2. Colourful fall foliage
3. Lower hotel rates, so your budget goes further
Located in Western Europe, France is the perfect country to visit in October. The weather is generally mild in October, so you can spend your days exploring the art, culture, and cuisine of this amazing country. Dive into France’s rich history by visiting stunning châteaux or incredible Roman ruins. From the excitement of the iconic landmarks and museums of Paris, to the world-class gastronomy of Lyon, to the sunny beaches of the French Riviera, the options are endless!
Weather in France in October:
- Autumn – temperatures are generally still mild
- Temperatures range from 10 degrees to 17 degrees Celsius / 50 to 63 degrees Fahrenheit in Paris and the north of France, with temperatures ranging from 13 degrees to 21 degrees Celsius / 55 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the south of France.
- Most days are sunny, but pack layers and be prepared for the occasional rain shower.
Things to Do in France in October:
- Visit Paris, the glittering capital city of France, and take an incredible Paris night tour to see iconic monuments such as the Eiffel Tower brilliantly illuminated!
- Enjoy the beautiful Loire Valley and take a hot air balloon flight over fairy-tale châteaux.
- Dine at Michelin-starred restaurants in Lyon, dubbed a capital of French gastronomy.
- Explore the history of Romans in France and marvel at the incredible Pont du Gard aqueduct, or the fabulous Roman Amphitheater in Nîmes.
- Relax on the beaches of the sunny French Riviera with a stay in Nice, which became popular as a winter resort destination.
- Enjoy some of the finer things in life with a Champagne tour in Reims, the heart of France’s Champagne region.
Events / Festivals in France in October:
- Oktoberfest – France shares a border with Germany, and the Alsace region has changed hands between the two countries over the centuries. Enjoy Oktoberfest celebrations with beer and traditional Bavarian dishes in the Alsace region and beyond!
- Festival Lumière – This film festival takes place in the city of Lyon, in honour of the Lumière brothers’ contributions to the field of cinematography.
19. Iceland – Chase the Northern Lights
Contributed by Theresa at ‘Fueled by Wanderlust’
Why is Iceland one of the best places to visit in the world in October?
1. There is enough darkness to see the Northern Lights
2. The crowds of summer will have thinned at top attractions
3. Temperatures are mild with good conditions for road tripping
A European island in the North Atlantic, Iceland is ideal to visit in October. With the northern lights, waterfalls, black sand beaches, and geothermal activity, this country is alive with incredible nature to witness. Base yourself in the cheery capital city, Reykjavik, for easy day tripping to the Golden Circle and South Coast.
Weather in Iceland in October:
- Fall / Autumn – a moderate weather month that can be chilly and damp.
- Temperatures range from 1.9 degrees to 6 degrees Celsius / 35 to 43 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Average rainfall is 4 inches (118mm).
- Be prepared for volatile weather, including occasional strong winds and slippery conditions. Always check road conditions before heading out and drive with caution.
Things to Do in Iceland in October:
- Wander the city of Reykjavik to see the Hallgrimskirkja church, Sun Voyager sculpture, and Harpa Concert Hall.
- Take a night-time excursion to see the northern lights either on your own or with a tour company.
- Drive the Golden Circle and make stops at Thingvellir National Park, Strokkur geyser, and the Gullfoss waterfall.
- Soak in the milky warm waters of the Blue Lagoon and try a silica mud mask.
- Road trip along the South Coast to check out the Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skógafoss waterfall, Reynisfjara black sand beach, and charming town of Vik.
Events / Festivals in Iceland in October:
- Reykjavik International Film Festival (RIFF) – Occurs annually from late September through mid-October. The festival is a celebration of independent filmmaking, featuring dramas and non-fiction films from over 40 countries. Screenings take place in Reykjavik various cinemas, and even at swimming pools.
20. Portugal – Everything in One
Contributed by Nancy at ‘Ericeira Family Adventures’
Why is Portugal one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. It has the only World Surf Reserve in Europe, so is great for surfing since the swell starts to increase
2. Crowds are fewer at the major tourist attractions
3. Shoulder-season means lower rates
Portugal is an amazing destination for travellers in October. Located on Europe’s southern Atlantic coast, this beautiful country boasts stunning beaches, magnificent palaces and historical sites, delicious cuisine and great prices.
For those who love the surf, Portugal has Europe’s only World Surf Reserve. Ericeira is known as the Portuguese surf capital with Nazare and Peniche also attracting slews of surfers due to their world class waves. With fewer crowds filling tours like Lisbon sunset cruises and lower rates in the shoulder season, October is a perfect time to explore all that Portugal has to offer!
Weather in Portugal In October:
- It is the end of summer so it’s still fairly warm and is often beach weather.
- Temperatures range from 15 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius / 59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are often warm and sunny, but can get chilly in the evening.
Things to Do in Portugal in October:
- Visit the city of Porto and its historical centre.
- Explore the Douro River and partake in wine tastings or a lovely cruise to see the tiered banks where wine is made along the river.
- Visit bustling Lisbon and take in its gastronomy and historical monuments.
- Enjoy the Algarve with its never ending golden beaches and calm warm waters.
- Visit the medieval city of Obidos and walk its ancient castle walls.
- If you are looking to go surfing, don’t miss Ericeira, Peniche and Nazare for their charming village feel and world class waves.
Events / Festivals in Portugal in October:
- The National Gastronomic Festival in Santarem – Celebration in late October to early November The National Gastronomic Festival in Santarem. Started in 1980, this festival dedicates each day of the event to a different region and its gastronomy.
- Obidos International Literacy Festival – In October Portugal celebrates its official UNESCO city of literature with the Óbidos International Literature Festival.
21. Germany – Oktoberfest!
Why is Germany one of the best countries to visit in October?
- Shoulder season so less costs
- Reduced tourists so less queuing and more exploring
- Changing colours of Autumn
The weather in Germany during this time of year is generally mild and pleasant, making it perfect for outdoor activities and exploring the beautiful landscapes that Germany has to offer. Outdoor lovers will particularly enjoy the picturesque scenery that comes with Autumn’s / Fall’s changing colours. October is also a great time to visit because it is less crowded compared to the peak tourist season, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the local culture and experience the country at a more relaxed pace.
What better way to experience the country’s rich culture than through one of the many beer and wine-tasting festivals? Oktoberfest, which takes place in Munich, is one of the most famous and exciting festivals in the world. This festival attracts millions of visitors from all over the globe who come to enjoy traditional German food, music, and of course, beer.
Weather in Germany In October:
- Average daily temperatures in Germany range from 6°C to 16°C / 43°F to 61°F.
- Expect pleasant weather with cool air and warm sunshine.
- Be prepared for a few wet and chilly days.
Things to Do in Germany in October:
- Experience the Berlin Light Festival and see Berlin’s most famous landmarks lit up such as the Brandenburg Gate and Berlin Wall.
- Take a road trip through Rhineland-Palatinate, arguably Germany’s most famous wine region, to enjoy wine-testing sessions as well as beautiful hikes.
- Explore the Black Forest and see the sites that inspired the legendary Brothers Grimm fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Hansel and Gretel.
- No trip to Germany is complete without visiting the magnificent Zugspitze summit, but be prepared for very cold temperatures that come with the high altitude (2,962 meters).
- Enjoy hiking and mountain biking in the Bavarian Alps.
- Visit one of the many castles scattered all over Germany such as Neuschwanstein.
- If you are looking for a more cultural experience, visit one of the five museums at Museum Island such as Pergamon.
- Hamburg is known for its photogenic canals in its UNESCO heritage-listed warehouse district.
Events / Festivals in Germany in October:
- Oktoberfest – Oktoberfest is by far the world’s most famous beer festival, and it takes place in Munich from mid-September to early October each year. Make sure you book your tickets and accommodation early if you wish to be among the six million having the time of their lives while experiencing the rich Bavarian culture. Oktoberfest makes Germany one of the best countries to visit in September and October!
- Cannstatter Volksfest – Although less acclaimed than the Oktoberfest, this festival in Stuttgart still promises a display of colourful costumes, fairground attractions, and more than enough beer to go around.
- The German Grape Harvest Festival – Expect wine routes / regions to be extra busy around this time, but you will also get to sample some of the finest wines.
- Berlin Festival of Lights – Enjoy a walk through the streets of Berlin to see more than forty of Berlin’s most famous landmarks and historic buildings illuminated from 7 pm to 1 am.
22. Ireland – Everything in One
Contributed by Cath at ‘Travel Around Ireland’
Why is Ireland one of the best countries to visit in October?
1. Fewer crowds at the major tourist attractions and Irish landmarks such as the Rock of Cashel and Newgrange.
2. Accommodation is more plentiful than in the summer with lower prices.
3. Weather is not too cold and October is generally drier than the coming months with days that aren’t too short.
Located on the western edge of Europe, Ireland is a great destination to visit in October. The cold of winter hasn’t set in yet and the days are still long enough to enjoy sightseeing without the summer crowds. Whether you want to enjoy hiking, take a scenic road trip or simply enjoy the Irish cities such as Dublin, Galway and Belfast, October is a great month to do it in. Ireland also has deep Celtic roots and this is no more evident than at some of the most famous landmarks with lots of Celtic symbology to be seen on things such as High Crosses.
Weather in Ireland in October:
- Autumn – cool but not the coldest month of the year.
- Temperatures range from lows of 8 degrees to highs of 13 degrees Celsius / 46 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are turning chilly but still warmer than the coming months. However, layers wouldn’t be amiss in October.
- Rain is almost guaranteed so don’t forget a raincoat and umbrella.
Things to Do in Ireland in October:
- Visit the capital city of Dublin where crowds are fewer, tourist attractions are all open and you are never far from a warm, cozy pub should the rain set it.
- Explore Galway, dubbed the capital of the West of Ireland. See the Spanish Arch, take a walk along Salthill Promenade or simply explore the nooks and crannies of the city.
- Take a trip to Ireland’s oldest city, Waterford, just over 2 hours south of Dublin and explore the Viking Triangle where you can still see evidence of the people who founded the city in the early 10th century,
- Head to County Wicklow and visit the monastic site of Glendalough. Founded by St Kevin in the 6th Century, you can enjoy autumnal walks to the Upper Lake after seeing the famous Glendalough Round Tower.
- Visit Belfast and immerse yourself in the history of the Titanic in the Quarter of the city named after the ill-fated liner. Visit the Titanic Museum, stay in the Titanic Museum and learn all about the ship that sunk on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic.
Events / Festivals in Ireland in October:
- Bram Stoker Festival – This author is celebrated with a festival dedicated to the man and his most famous character, Dracula. Mysterious, gothic and supernatural-based events take place across the city including food tours, performances and live music.
- Derry Halloween – Halloween is based on the Celtic festival, Samhain, at the end of the harvest season. And the biggest Halloween festival in Ireland takes place in Derry. This multi-day festival takes place across various locations in the city and includes events such as workshops, food stalls and markets, culminating with a festival parade and fireworks display.
- Puca Festival – The Puca Festival is the biggest Halloween event in the Republic of Ireland and takes place in County Meath around places such as Trim and Athboy. It is closely tied to Samhain and brings to life this ancient Irish tradition through folklore, food, music and dance.
Best Countries to Visit in October in the Middle East
23. Israel – Spiritual Seekers
Contributed by Milijiana at ‘World Travel Connector’
Why is Israel one of the best countries to visit in October?
- The ideal temperatures for sightseeing in the towns and cities in Israel
- A perfect time for swimming in the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea
- The ideal weather for trekking the Negev desert, hiking Israeli National Trail and Jesus Trail
Located in the Middle East, Israel is ideal as an autumn destination and is one of the warmest places to visit in October. Israel is best known as the Holy Land, holding the highest number of sacred sites of the three Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
The complex history of Israel can be seen in its architecture, art, and cuisine. Modern Israel reflects a mix of Jewish and Arabic cultures in the first place. Modern Israeli cuisine is the finest example of the cultural blend of the country. The cuisine of modern Israel is a fusion cuisine of traditional Jewish food, traditional Arabic food, and food brought to Israel by Jewish immigrants.
Israel is one of the most fascinating countries in the world today. From its complex and intriguing history and culture to stunning landscapes and delicious foods, Israel offers so much to its visitors. Israel is a top destination for history buffs, cultural enthusiasts, gourmands, and religious and spiritual seekers.
Weather in Israel In October:
- October is autumn in Israel. Autumn months, along with spring months, are the best times to visit Israel.
- Temperatures in Israel in October range from 17 degrees to 29 degrees Celsius / 63 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The average daily temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius / 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Days are warm, dry, and sunny, with a low chance of rain.
- While daily temperatures are perfect for swimming in Tel Aviv and Eliat, nights can be chilly in Jerusalem and Nazareth.
Things to Do in Israel in October:
- Visit the city of Tel Aviv and enjoy its beaches and nightlife.
- Tour the Old City of Jerusalem, its sacred sites, the iconic Mahane Yehuda market, and visit the Yad Vashem museum.
- Hike Masada (a UNESCO site) and float in the Dead Sea on a day tour from Jerusalem.
- Visit Nazareth and trek the four-day-long Jesus Trail.
- Swim and dive in the Red Sea in Eilat.
- Camp under the starry sky in the Negev Desert.
- Admire Bahai Gardens in Haifa.
- Explore the Old City of Akko (a UNESCO site).
Best Countries to Visit in October in North America
24. Canada – Beauty in the Rockies
Contributed by Emily at ‘Journey By Backpack’
Why is Canada one of the best holiday destinations in October?
1. It’s larch season meaning some beautiful golden colours
2. There are fewer crowds
3. The prices tend to be lower
Located in North America, Canada is one of the most stunning destinations to head to in October. Canada’s Rocky Mountains in particular boast some of the most incredible autumn colours the world has to offer. With its turquoise lakes, giant glaciers, towering mountains and powerful waterfalls, Canada truly is an outdoor lover’s paradise.
Despite the summer being over, there is still an array of fun and adventurous activities to choose from including an endless number of hikes, adrenaline filled activities such as white-water rafting, and boat trips around some of the most spectacular lakes in the world. Canada really has something that all the family can enjoy.
Weather in Canada in October:
- It’s Autumn / Fall.
- Canada is a huge place but in most of the popular areas, average temperatures range from 9 degrees Celsius to 15 degrees Celsius / 48 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the mountains including the Rockies, temperatures may drop below freezing at night.
- Historically, the days are clearer and warm, and the nights cold.
Things to Do in October:
- Visit Banff National Park in the Rocky Mountains and admire larch season.
- Embark on a bucket list road trip through the Rockies, inspiration on planning this here.
- Hike the Little Beehive Trail or the Larch Valley Trail to see the best of the autumn colours.
- Head to one of the most famous lakes in the world, Lake Louise and hire a canoe.
- Take a ride on the Jasper SkyTram for jaw-dropping panoramic views of the area.
- Book a cruise on Maligne Lake and visit Spirit Island to witness some breath-taking scenery.
- Spend a day exploring the small town of Canmore and its many cafes and small shops.
Events / Festivals in Canada in October:
- The Jasper Dark Sky Festival takes place every year in October. Offering some of the best stargazing in the entire world, this festival celebrates the spectacular night-time skies above the area and gives guests the chance to learn more about the wonders of our stars.
25. Mexico – Architectural Wonders
Contributed by Jessica at ‘Uprooted Traveler’
Why is Mexico one of the best holiday destinations in October?
1. Cooler weather and drier skies than the wet and sweltering summer
2. Lower crowds than the busy winter holidays.
3. Fun festivals
Located just south of the United States, Mexico is an incredible destination in October, with weather that’s ideal for exploring its beaches, famous landmarks or vibrant colonial cities. Mexico is the perfect mix of fascinating history, thanks to its ancient Mayan roots; jaw-dropping natural beauty, like volcanoes, beaches, and cenotes; and cities that are buzzing with electric energy. Regardless of what kind of traveller you are, there’s the perfect kind of adventure, waiting for you here.
Weather in Mexico In October:
- It is Autumn / Fall.
- Along the coastlines, temperatures typically range from 23 – 31° C / 73 – 88° F, whereas the inland cities at elevations will typically see temperatures from 8 – 21° C / 46 – 70° F.
- Days are warm, but in cities at higher elevations, the early mornings and evenings can feel quite chilly.
- October is the tail end of the rainy season, so the skies will get clearer as the month wanes on.
Things to Do in Mexico in October:
- Join a Chichen Itza tour in the Yucatan Peninsula to explore North America’s only Wonder of the World. Base yourself in the nearby town of Valladolid and visit the surrounding cenotes and ancient Mayan ruin of Ek’ Balam.
- Catch a Lucha Libre match in Mexico City.
- Chase waterfalls in Chiapas, like Agua Azul or Cascada El Chiflón.
- Experience the kick-off for Día de los Muertoson October 31 in Oaxaca.
- Learn how to surf along the Pacific coastline in Sayulita.
Events / Festivals in Mexico in October:
- Día de los Muertos – While this holiday is officially on November 1-2, many cities that have large celebrations for the holiday will begin preparation around October 27th and kick off their festivities on October 31. Día de los Muertos is a celebration, where families reunite with their deceased relatives and enjoy food, drink, and revelry.
- Fiestas de Octubre – The city of Guadaljara celebrates a month-long event with live music, food, dancing, and other cultural demonstrations, which attracts both visitors and performers from all over the world.
26. United States – Big Cities to Tropical Islands
Contributed by Karen at ‘Forever Karen’
Why is the United States one of the best October holiday destinations?
- Some parts of the country, such as Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Hawaii experience summer temperatures year-round.
- The children are in school so expect fewer tourists, especially families.
- Better hotel availability, and slightly lower rates.
Located in North America, parts of the United States provide a great getaway in October. The Hawaii Islands, Puerto Rico, Florida, and the southern states all experience warm weather and little rain to enjoy the outdoors. It’s a great time to hit the beach with fewer crowds or immerse yourself in local culture.
Whiles areas of the South US are also warm, they are in the Hurricane zone. Storms are prevalent from June to the end of October in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Texas, Louisiana, and the nearby states. However, don’t let this stop you from traveling, as you can benefit from low pricing and fewer crowds.
Weather in the US In October:
- While it’s Autumn / Fall in Hawaii, Florida, and Puerto Rico, expect warmer temperatures.
- Daytime high averages 30 degrees Celsius / 86 degrees Fahrenheit, and lows of 23 degrees Celsius / 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It can rain at any time, but showers are short lived.
Things to Do in the United States in October:
- Explore the Everglades National Park in Florida.
- Take a night snorkel with manta rays in Kona, Hawaii.
- Tour the Tour Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo San Cristobal in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Enjoy the fall foliage in Garner State Park, Texas, on a hike.
- Enjoy the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Visit national parks like Yosemite or Great Smoky Mountains for breath-taking scenery and outdoor activities.
- Take a road trip through New England to states like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine to witness charming towns adorned with colourful fall foliage against clear blue skies.
Events / Festivals in the United States in October:
- Hawaii hosts the Food and Wine Festival. It’s a chance to sample its specialty, Spam Musubi.
- Día de Los Muertos in San Antonio, Texas – Also known as Day of the Dead, this Mexican holiday honours loved ones who have passed away, with special foods and drinks.
Best Places to Visit in October in Oceania
27.Australia – Wine Regions and Wildlife Encounters
Contributed by Leila at ‘Let’s Go See It All’
Why is Australia one of the best destinations to travel in October?
1. Wildlife encounters
2. Pleasant, mild weather
3. Reduced crowds and off-season rates
Located in the southern hemisphere, Australia offers unique experiences for adventure, natural beauty, and diverse wildlife. October is an optimal month to visit, with pleasant weather, abundant events, and affordability with fewer crowds and lower prices outside of school holidays and peak season.
Weather in Australia in October:
- October is mid-spring, making it a perfect time to explore the country’s natural wonders.
- Mild temperatures range from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius / 59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit in most regions, making it ideal for outdoor activities.
- October is part of the dry season in tropical regions like Queensland and the Northern Territory.
- Stingers, such as box jellyfish and Irukandji are less common, making it safer to swim.
Things to Do in Australia in October:
- Witness the annual humpback whale migration along the east coast.
- Visit iconic Uluru in the Red Centre, best explored before summer wet season.
- Explore famous Australian landmarks such as Sydney Opera House and Bondi Beach with less crowds.
- Winery tours and cellar door experiences in the Australian wine regions while vineyards are in full bloom.
- Experience native animal encounters! Australia’s 650+ National Parks await, offering incredible wildlife watching during breeding season.
- Enjoy wildflower season, especially in Western Australia, which showcases spectacular native flora species.
Events / Festivals in Australia in October:
- Big Talk One Fire Festival – showcases the cultures, traditions, and achievements of Australia’s First Nations peoples.
- Flower festivals – such as Floriade in Canberra or Tesselaar Tulip Festival in Victoria.
- Oktoberfest Brisbane – inspired by the world-famous beer festival in Germany.
- International Film Festival – one of the best things to do in the Gold Coast, featuring captivating films, screenings, and premieres.
- Bathurst 1000 – An iconic motorsport event held at Mount Panorama Circuit in New South Wales.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Countries To Visit In October
What are the best places to visit in October in the world?
October is a fantastic time to explore various destinations around the globe. Whether you’re seeking vibrant fall foliage, pleasant temperatures, or exciting cultural events, there are plenty of options to consider. Here are some of the best places to visit in October:
* Marseille in France
* Marrakech in Morocco
* Hanoi in Vietnam
* Seville in Spain
* Munich in Germany
* New England in USA
* Sydney in Australia
* The Rocky Mountains in Canada
Which is the best country to visit in October?
While personal preferences may vary, some top destinations include Switzerland, Turkey, Canada (for fall foliage), and Australia (for springtime).
Where in Europe is warm in October?
While Europe tends to cool down during October, some regions like Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Cyprus, Malta and Croatia still offer pleasant temperatures for outdoor activities.
What are the top honeymoon places in October outside Asia?
If you’re planning a honeymoon outside of Asia in October, there are several romantic destinations to choose from including the Maldives, Seychelles, Paris in France, Greek Islands, Amalfi Coast in Italy, and a safari adventure in South Africa.
What are the best places to visit in India during October?
India offers a diverse range of experiences throughout its vast territory. Rajasthan offers the opportunity to explore the vibrant cities of Jaipur, Udaipur, and Jaisalmer. Kerala will allow you to experience serene backwaters, lush tea plantations, and Ayurvedic wellness retreats.
Is October a good time to visit Switzerland
If you’re wondering whether October is a good time to visit Switzerland, the answer is a resounding yes. With pleasant weather conditions, breath-taking landscapes, and a variety of activities to enjoy, Switzerland offers an unforgettable experience during this month.
Should I go to Thailand in October?
Rains continue throughout the beginning of October and temperatures begin to drop. However, the more comfortable cooler temperatures and lower humidity, along with less chance of rain at the end of the month, make October a good month to travel.
In Summary – Best Places to Visit in October
There are many beautiful countries to visit in October, but it depends on what you want from your destination. Whether you are looking to embrace the cold, relax on a beach, or do some sightseeing in the low-season when prices are cheaper, there are plenty of places to explore around the globe in the month of October.
There are many additional destinations that we could have listed as the best places to travel in October, but we feel that this list covered a variety of warm and cold weather destinations, activities, festivals and events.
Are you planning a holiday in October? Have you visited any of the recommended countries to visit in October listed above, or have we missed a country we should add to this list? Post your tips and questions below.
Trip Planners For The Best Of World Travel: Related Blog Posts
Want more info to help you plan your next trip? Check out all the articles we’ve written about the ‘Best of World Travel’ in all parts of the world.
- 35 Of The Best And Biggest Festivals In The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best January Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 20 Of The Best February Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Amazing March Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Of The Top April Festivals Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best Festivals In May Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best June Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- The Ultimate Guide To Festivals In July Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best August Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Popular September Festivals And Events Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best October Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best November Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 13 Of The Best Festivals In December Around The World In 2023 | 2024
Essential Travel Planning Resources
Below are our favourite companies to use for planning our travels. They consistently turn up the best deals, offer great customer service and amazing value, and overall, are better than their competitors. These are always our starting point when we need to book a flight, hotel, tour, car rental etc.
Book a Tour:
We mostly travel independently, however, some places are better to visit with a guided tour. We prefer GetYourGuide for its easy-to-use interface and solid reputation, but we also use Viator.
DISCLAIMER: This article contains affiliate links and Exit45 Travels are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. That means if you click a link and make a purchase, we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.