If you’re in the market for a versatile bag, you can’t find anything better than the Deuter Helion 80, a rolling suitcase/backpack hybrid. Get the benefits of both straps and wheels!
We have been using ours since its purchase in December 2017 and we absolutely love it! They are mainly used as a rolling suitcase but there have been numerous times when the backpack feature has been a godsend.
For example, in Asia we often travel by ferry / boat and the very narrow gangways (or strip of timber which require tightrope walking skills to cross) mandate the use of the backpack to ensure you and your bag don’t end up ‘in’ the ocean.
The backpack feature has also been great when the road / walkway surface is not suitable for wheeling the bag i.e. soft sand, pebbled, rough, busy with pedestrians etc.
We chose to go with the Deuter Helion 80L model however, there is a 60L model also available for those of you that prefer to travel light.
Disclosure: Exit45 Travels are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This means that if you click on our affiliates / advertisers links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission, but at no extra cost to you. AND, many times, you will receive an offer. Win/win! The products and services we write about and mention are the ones we love. We only recommend items that we feel are of good quality and would be helpful to our readers. While we pay for our travels out of our own pockets, these small commissions do assist in keeping us on the road. Thank you!
PIN THIS ARTICLE TO READ LATER
Deuter Helion 80 Specifications
Model / Product Code
80 L: 35852-7260
75 x 40 x 36 cm
80 L of carrying space
Lifetime on Materials and Workmanship excluding zippers
Features of the Deuter Helion 80
- Can be wheeled or carried
- Large profile wheels with quality bearings can be covered by the hip wings when carrying
- Easily converts into a backpack by zippering back the harness cover to reveal the comfortably padded carrying system i.e. sturdy straps, a lumbar pad, and hip belt
- Sternum strap is adjustable
- Sturdy construction with a solid full-sized base plate – guarantees the bag stands safely
- Internal luggage straps to stabilise clothes and belongings from shifting
- External compression straps to tighten the bag up and make it easier to carry
- Three padded grab handles on top, sides and front – made to be carried any way you like
- Pocket at the top of the panel for your passport and other documents
- Inside large inner mesh pocket can be accessed from the front panel
- Inside small zipped mesh pockets on the side
- Lockable main compartment zip with padlock anchor to prevent unwanted access to your possessions
- Wheels are replaceable
- Metal ring for address label
Suppliers of the Deuter Helion 80
Summary of the Deuter Helion 80
We love our Deuter Helion 80 bags! They have shown very little wear even with the amount of travel we do. When the time comes to replace our bags, we will more than likely buy exactly the same bag.
- MARES X-VISION DIVE MASK
- ABLY APPAREL – THE BEST CLOTHES FOR TRAVELLING WE HAVE FOUND
- THE NORTH FACE BOREALIS BACKPACK
The Exit45 Rating scale runs from a low of 1 to a high of 5 in each of the 9 categories. As such, the higher the score out of 45, the better the Exit45 Rating. N.B. These scores are our own personal opinions and are based on our experiences, budget constraints and what we love doing.
|Value for Money||4.5|
|Would We Buy Again||5|
|TOTAL EXIT45 RATING||41 / 45|
Like This Article? Pin It !
PREVIOUS BLOG POSTS
- Life Chapter 2: First Steps as Nomadic Retirees
- Best Airport Lounges in the World
- Exploring Historic Chania Old Town – Crete
- 18 Famous Landmarks in Ireland
- Life Chapter 2: Joining the Digital Nomad Community
- 24 Famous Australian Landmarks to Add to Your Bucket List