This blog post will review The North Face Borealis Backpack, specifically the women’s version, we travel with.
When we decided to head off travelling for the year, one of the essential items we needed to purchase was a backpack which we would use as a day pack, but also as a carry on for the items we like to have on the plane with us i.e. valuables, laptop, i-Pads, extra change of clothes. Jonas carries most of the tech and camera gear so this backpack would primarily be used by me. As such, we were looking to buy a backpack recommended for women.
During our initial search, The North Face backpacks kept coming up with stellar reviews. We know The North Face brand has an amazing reputation for making quality products for outdoor use, but we had never had one of their backpacks. Over the years, we have purchased their clothes and have been very happy with the quality.
The result of our research and testing various recommended backpacks was the purchase of The North Face Borealis Backpack in the women’s version. The women’s and men’s versions are basically the same except for the shoulder strap design which has been modified to suit the differences in chest size and shape. The details about the men’s version of this backpack can be found on the official The North Face website and also on Amazon.
As with any products that you purchase, The North Face Borealis Backpack can undergo changes over time both in terms of design and functionality. As such, you may notice that some of the features described here do not match those found in your backpack as you may simply have a different version, either newer or older.
The North Face Borealis Backpack Specifications
Model / Product Code
Shell – Nylon, Cordura and Ripstop fabric, Lining – 100% Polyester
50.2 x 33.7 x 24.8 cm (19.75” x 13025” x 9.753”)
1160 Grams (2 Lbs 9.9 Oz)
Capacity / Volume
27 Litres of carrying space
33.7 x 45 cm (13.25” x 17.75”)
Features of the The North Face Borealis Backpack
- Large zip front compartment with various internal organizer slots, including an extra padded tablet sleeve, an organiser ideal for pens, mobile phone etc., and additional zip pockets
- Large main compartment for books and binders with a dedicated, highly protective 15″ laptop compartment
- Small external zip pocket on the upper front great for items like sunglasses and phone
- Solid padded back made of Airmesh and cut outs for maximum support and ventilation
- FlexVent suspension system featuring ergonomic shoulder straps
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Adjustable and removable waist strap
- Lateral straps to compress the bag
- Padded top carrying handle
- Elastic bungee system on the front with mounting options for external storage
- Two elastic mesh water bottle holders on either side of the bag which can be used as multi-purpose pockets
- Reinforced bottom
- 360 degree reflective elements for safety
- The North Face logo embroidery on the front
- The North Face logo print on the right carrying strap
Suppliers of the The North Face Borealis Backpack
Do We Recommend The North Face Borealis Backpack for Travel?
We both love The Northface Borealis Backpack and even though I am the one who primarily uses it, the modified straps in the women’s version are comfortable on Jonas also. We have found it to be lightweight, durable and water resistant. In addition, it easily holds everything we need it to carry.
The backrest and shoulder, sternum and waist strap technology allow the weight to be optimally distributed, thus making daily use extremely comfortable. The only downside we have found is the fact it does not stand upright on its own.
Overall, we have been extremely happy with this purchase. It has been used on almost a daily basis for more than 2 years and it shows little to any signs of wear and tear. This backpack has many more years left in it yet.
Do you own and travel with The Northface Borealis backpack? What do you love about it? Leave a comment below.
EXIT 45 RATING
The Exit45 Rating scale runs from a low of 1 to a high of 5 in each of the 9 categories. As such, the higher the score out of 45, the better the Exit45 Rating. N.B. These scores are our own personal opinions and are based on our experiences, budget constraints and what we love doing.
|Value for Money||5|
|Would We Buy Again||5|
|TOTAL EXIT45 RATING||43 / 45|
LIKE THIS ARTICLE? PIN IT!
TECH AND TRAVEL GEAR WE LOVE: RELATED BLOG POSTS
If you are looking for more detailed info on the products we love and recommend? Check out all the product reviews we’ve written to help you avoid inconvenient, and potentially costly mistakes.