Discover the best countries to visit in February around the world and start planning your next unforgettable trip to these unique and adventurous destinations.
Looking to escape the winter blues and embark on an unforgettable adventure in February? Are you looking for a tropical climate, lots of things to do, off season prices with fewer crowds, unique festivals in February, nature, wildlife spotting or adventure?
As fulltime travellers, this is something we are constantly needing to research and consider when doing our travel planning, and designing our itineraries. We like to slow travel and we are on a budget, so we try to choose destinations where it is the low to shoulder season. In most cases, this means less tourists, lower prices and more bang-for-our-buck when it comes to booking accommodation.
Imagine strolling through vibrant streets, basking in pleasant weather, and immersing yourself in rich cultural experiences. February is the perfect time to explore new destinations and create lifelong memories.
From snowy wonderlands to tropical paradises, there are countless options for every type of traveller. Whether you’re seeking thrilling outdoor activities or cozy indoor retreats, these top destinations have it all. So buckle up and get ready for an extraordinary journey!
Best Countries to Visit in February in Africa
Are you planning a holiday in Africa in February? Check out our list of the best places to travel in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
1. Tanzania in February
Contributed by Melanie at ‘The World Travel Girl’
Diversity of Landscapes
Why is Tanzania one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Diversity of wildlife and vast savannahs and parks
- Hot and dry weather
- Stunning beaches
Located in East Africa, just south of the Equator, Tanzania is ideal to visit in February. Influenced by both Arabic and Indian traditions, Tanzania is also a visual masterpiece filled with astounding wildlife, mesmerizing savannahs and pristine beaches.
Weather in Tanzania In February:
- Hot, dry season; nestled between the rainy seasons
- Weather ranging from 77°F – 86°F (25°C – 30°C) in the lowlands and along the coast, and 59°F – 68°F (15°C – 20°C) in the highlands
- Bring a sweater if you will be in the mountains or highlands
Things to Do in Tanzania in February:
- Revel in the sites of Mount Kilimanjaro, the largest free-standing mountain in the world at 5,895 meters (19,340 feet).
- Explore the Serengeti National Park and see a plethora of wildlife including lions, giraffes, cheetahs, wildebeests and over 1000 species of birds.
- Take a guided walk along the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, created when a volcano exploded and collapsed into itself. This natural wonder is home to over 115 wildlife species including the endangered black rhinos.
- Relax on the beaches of Nungwi Beach on Zanzibar Island with its mesmerizing turquoise waters and white sand beaches. Catch a glimpse of the endemic Red Colobus Monkey.
- Take a Spice Tour in Stone Town and be immersed in the cultural diversity and tantalizing cuisine due to the abundance of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and black pepper that are grown there.
Events / Festivals in Tanzania in February:
- Sauti za Busara is a festival held in Zanzibar and is the largest music festival in East Africa. The festival will shut down Stone Town with a carnival that is full of colour and energy. Different artists from diverse backgrounds share their music with all.
2. Morocco in February
Contributed by Dani at ‘The Guide Marrakech’
Mild Weather and Fewer Crowds
Why is Morocco one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Mild weather
- Fewer crowds
- Festivals and cultural events
Set in Northern Africa, Morocco is an amazing country to visit in February as you’ll get to enjoy mild weather, fewer crowds, and lots of festivals and cultural events. This country is known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural landscapes.
Weather in Morocco In February:
- In February, Morocco experiences winter, which is the coldest month of the year.
- Temperatures range from 8 degrees to 20 degrees Celsius (47 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit), making it a great time to explore the cities and the desert without breaking a sweat.
- While there may be some rain, it is usually not heavy and does not last long.
Things to Do in Morocco in February:
- Marrakech in February is a real treat! Visit the historic medina, explore the souks, and relax in a traditional hammam.
- Discover ancient architecture and the tanneries in Fes.
- Wander through the blue-washed buildings of Chefchaouen and hike in the nearby Rif Mountains.
- Explore the beautiful seaside town of Essaouira without the crowds.
- Spend the night in the Sahara desert.
Events / Festivals in Morocco in February:
- One of the coolest festivals in Morocco in February is the Almond Blossom Festival in Tafraoute. During the festival, you’ll be able to enjoy the beautiful pink and white blossoms of the almond trees and participate in traditional music and dance performances.
3. Ethiopia in February
Contributed by Iris at ‘Mind of a Hitchhiker’
Experience Wedding Season
Why is Ethiopia one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Lots of weddings
- Comfortable dry-but-not-hot weather for outdoor activities
- Before the Lent fasting time, when some foods are off the menu
Ethiopia is a country in east Africa just north of the equator. It’s one of the oldest civilizations in the world and one of the first to adopt Christianity. It has a truly unique culture and traditions, incredible food, and so many natural wonders.
Weather in Ethiopia in February:
- Though Ethiopia is in the northern hemisphere and therefore in winter, the temperature will depend on the altitude and humidity
- Most cities are at or above a whopping 2,000m / 6,500ft above sea level and often sunny and rainless in February, making the days a pleasant 23°C / 73°F and the nights chilly
- The country is big and diverse, so you can experience humidity in the forests and dry dustiness in the Ethiopian Highlands
- If you crave extreme heat, the Danakil Depression measures temperatures above 50°C/122°F
Things to do in Ethiopia in February:
- Enter via the capital city Addis Ababa and spend some time acclimating.
- Enjoy the quiet Ethiopian Orthodox spirituality in the monasteries on Lake Tana (and see hippos!).
- Experience an Ethiopian coffee ceremony with a snack and a cloud of incense.
- Travel to Lalibela to see the wonders of the rock-hewn churches such as Bete Amanuel.
- Go from wedding to wedding to celebrate all those newlyweds.
- Watch people harvest and thresh teff—the grain that forms the basis of the Ethiopian diet.
- Take a cooking class to learn how to prepare injera, shiro wat, and all your favourites. Buy ingredients to cook them at home and make the trip last longer.
Events / Festivals in Ethiopia in February:
- Between Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas and the start of Lent is the wedding season. Though you can’t just crash a wedding, a local travel guide will be happy to take you on a tour of multiple weddings and explain the customs and abundant food and home-brewed beer called tella.
- If you come a bit earlier, you might catch Timkat in late January; the celebration of Jesus’ Baptism.
4. South Africa in February
Contributed by Anoushka at ‘Anoushka’s Adventures’
Great for Wildlife Spotting
Why is South Africa one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Escape Winter in the Northern Hemisphere to experience a balmy South African Summer.
- A great time to spot wildlife, including whale sharks, migratory birds, and turtle nesting season.
- The best month for exploring the many things to do in Cape Town, with dry weather and great conditions for discovering the local wineries.
Located at the Southern tip of Africa, South Africa is an ideal February destination thanks to its warm temperatures, particularly in the cosmopolitan capital of Cape Town. The diverse country has something to offer every kind of traveller.
From world-class safari drives and cultural experiences in KwaZulu-Natal, to gastronomic delights in the major cities, and renowned vineyards. However it’s particularly suited to nature lovers, due to the sheer breadth of landscapes and wildlife that call the country home, with countless national parks and animal viewing opportunities.
Weather in South Africa In February:
- February in South Africa is Summer
- Temperatures range across the country, with highs of 29 degrees and lows of 16 Celsius / 84 to 60 Fahrenheit.
- Ideal temperature for Cape Town and The Garden Route, with warm, dry days and a slight breeze.
Things to Do in South Africa in February:
- See the sights of Cape Town from Table Mountain and Lion’s Head.
- Explore the wine regions of Stellenbosch and Constantia and discover the country’s rich wine-making heritage through charming local vineyards.
- Spot wildlife on safari at Kruger National Park.
- Top up your tan along the South African coast, with the perfect climate for lazy beach days.
- Nesting seasons along the beaches of iSimangaliso make it a prime time to view turtles.
- February is peak season for bird-watching along the Soutpansberg-Limpopo Birding Route.
Events / Festivals in South Africa in February:
- Cape Town Art Fair: The only international art fair on the continent, this annual event in the Capital showcases local and international artists with a focus on African talent.
Best Places to Visit in February in Asia
Are you planning to visit Asia and deciding on where to go in February? Check out our list of the best places to go on holiday in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
5. Malaysia in February
Contributed by Zhen at ‘Greedy Girl Gourmet’
Fun and Festive Atmosphere
Why is Malaysia one of the best countries to visit in February?
- You get to experience a Chinese New Year celebration! (Well, unless Chinese New Year falls in January, as it sometimes does.)
- The weather is not as hot as it is in the summer months, and not as wet as it is during the end of the year. (Note that Malaysia is a huge country so some parts do get rain in February. However, the most popular cities- Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Melaka- will be dry.)
- Besides Chinese New Year, you can often experience Thaipusam, a Hindu festival, in February!
Located in Southeast Asia, Malaysia is a great place to visit in February. It has a mix of races and cultures, including Malays, Chinese and Indians. Malaysia also has beautiful beaches, lush rainforests and delicious food.
In the cities, most people will speak some basic English, so it won’t feel as challenging to navigate as some other Asian countries. Last but not least, it can cater to every budget! The cost of living is not very high in Malaysia compared to American cities. However, there is also a wide variety of exclusive, luxurious resorts for those who want to live it up!
Weather in Malaysia In February:
- As a tropical country, Malaysia really has only one season: summer! However, in February, it is slightly less hot and less wet than other parts of the year.
- Temperatures range from 79F/ 26C to 86F/ 30C.
- Despite the hot weather, do bring a light cardigan or shawl as the air conditioning in malls can be quite brutal.
Things to Do in Malaysia in February:
- Eat in Penang: Malaysian street food is famous and Penang has some of the best food in Malaysia. Some dishes special to Penang are Assam Laksa and Penang Hokkien Mee.
- Take a cooking class in Melaka: Melaka is a UNESCO World Heritage city. An easy drive from the capital, Kuala Lumpur, it is a great place to admire Peranakan food and architecture. (Peranakans are the descendants of Chinese and Malays, also called Straits Born Chinese.) Peranakan food and culture is a big part of Southeast Asia. Some of the best Peranakan dishes to try include Ayam Buah Keluak- chicken made with a poisonous nut!- and Pandan Jelly.
- Swim in the ocean: With the weather so pleasant (for the tropics), February is a good time to visit one of Malaysia’s beautiful beaches! Some places to consider include Langkwai, Tioman and Borneo.
- Trek in the rainforest: Did you know that you can find 20% of the world’s animal species in the rainforest? Kinabalu National Park is one of the top rainforests to visit.
- Have tea in Cameron Highlands. The weather in Cameron Highlands is much more temperate than the rest of Malaysia, and it’s famous for its strawberries and tea plantations!
Events / Festivals in Malaysia in February:
- Chinese New Year: Chinese New Year is one of the biggest festivals in countries with a significant Chinese population. However, many countries such as Taiwan and China come to a stop during this time of the year, as shops are closed and people travel back to the villages to reunite with their family. In Malaysia, which has several different races, you get to experience the fun of Chinese New Year and none of the inconvenience!
- Thaipusam: In this religious festival, devotees take to the streets and perform acts of self-flagellation whilst appearing to experience no pain. Like Chinese New Year, Thaipusam sometimes falls in late January.
6. Cambodia in February
Contributed by Colleen at ‘Then We Walked’
Milder Temperatures and Fewer Crowds
Why is Cambodia one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Cambodia is rich in history and with a people so resilient and welcoming that it should be on every bucket list; and February is a great time to visit.
- December and January are peak season, so expect fewer crowds in February.
- It’s dry season and temperatures have not yet reached their hottest.
- Ideal for visiting the floating villages on the Tonle Sap.
Cambodia is in Southeast Asia. It shares borders with Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and the Gulf of Thailand. Cambodia’s geographical diversity includes rainforests and the incredible Mekong Delta.
Many people head to Angkor Wat at Siem Reap, but the capital, Phnom Penh, sitting at the confluence of the Mekong, Tonle Sap, and Bassac rivers, is a fabulous destination too. Alongside these great cities, there are rainforests, mountains and stunning beaches and islands in Cambodia.
Weather in Cambodia In February:
- Cambodia has two seasons; wet and dry and February is the dry season
- Average daily temperature highs range from 31°C / 90°F to 33°C / 93°F and average lows from 22°C / 73°F to 25°C / 76°F
- Very little rainfall is expected however humidity is rising
Things to Do in Cambodia in February:
- Angkor Wat in Siem Reap is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with some of the world’s most famous temples. No visit to Cambodia would be complete without at least one day exploring. Do go with a guide and go early to catch the sunrise.
- Explore the floating villages of the Tonle Sap, the largest freshwater lake in South-East Asia and a designated UNESCO Biosphere.
- Visit the Bunong people and their elephants in the rainforest of Mondulkiri; one of our most amazing travel experiences.
- Tour The Killing Fields and S-21 in Phnom Penh and see first-hand the devastating impact of the Khmer Rouge. Go with a guide to help absorb all that you see.
- Lose yourself Phnom Penh’s incredible markets. The Russian Market is a fabulous maze of tiny shops whilst Central Market has many artisan craft stalls.
Events and Festivals in Cambodia in February:
- Meak Bochea Day is an important Buddhist celebration which takes place on the full moon and commemorates a speech by Lord Buddha.
- Chinese New Year – Whilst not an official holiday it’s widely celebrated by the Vietnamese and Chinese population; some shops close and celebrations are evident in the days leading up to New Year.
7. Vietnam in February
Contributed by Simon at ‘Backpack Moments’
Best Weather for Exploring the North and South
Why is Vietnam one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Best season weatherwise for both North and South Vietnam
- Lunar New Year (Tet Nguyen Dan) could be in February
- Fewer tourists because it’s shoulder season
Vietnam is located in Southeast Asia spanning the length of the region’s South China Sea coast. The sheer length of the country, at more than 1650 km from south to north, guarantees its diverse landscapes, climates, and diverse culture. Some say that the North and the South act as two very different separate countries! As such, an itinerary that takes you through the whole country is bound to offer you a plethora of experiences and sights
Weather in Vietnam In February:
- February is the dry season in South Vietnam and the beginning of Spring in North Vietnam
- Temperatures in South Vietnam range from 26 to 35 Celsius (79 to 95 Fahrenheit) whereas in the North they are between 10 and 22 Celsius (50 to 72 Fahrenheit)
- Weather is very dependent on the region. In February you may be hot in a t-shirt in Ho Chi Minh, but cold in a jacket in Sa Pa.
Things to Do in Vietnam in February:
- Motorcycle on the legendary Ha Giang Loop in the extreme north.
- Take a lift to Fansipan, the highest peak in continental Southeast Asia.
- Try all the Vietnamese food in Hanoi.
- Explore the marvellous Ha Long Bay by boat.
- Ride a bicycle through rice fields in the magnificent Ninh Binh Province.
- Go back in time to the 19th Century in the preserved old town of Hoi An.
- Enjoy the seaside in Nha Trang.
- Lose yourself in the funky, Gaudi-inspired Mad House in Da Lat.
- Learn about the Vietnamese resistance during the Vietnam War by crouching inside the Cu Chi Tunnels.
- Party the Vietnamese way in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Live the slow boat life in the Mekong Delta.
- Enjoy the tropical gem that Phu Quoc Island is.
Events / Festivals in Vietnam in February:
The Lunar New Year, known as Tet Nguyen Dan or simply just Tet in Vietnam, falls somewhere between mid-January and mid-February. Tet is Vietnam’s biggest holiday and the whole country slows down to a halt for 5 days during it. This could be both a curse or a blessing.
If you’re in Vietnam during Tet, it’s best to find a local family to join. Some guesthouses remain open and offer immersive experiences, including celebrations, family dinners, and visiting temples. You should avoid traveling between places in Vietnam during Tet because either there won’t be any tickets or there won’t be any buses/trains running. The best place to be in Vietnam during Tet is hands-down Hoi An.
8. Indonesia in February
Contributed by Robin at ‘Where to Stay Bali’
Low Season Rates and Crowds
Why is Indonesia one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Low season rates.
- Perfect time to explore the coral reefs of Raja Ampat.
- Great for avoiding crowds in the most popular destinations such as Bali.
Consisting of over 17,000 islands, Indonesia is nestled between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. Visiting Indonesia in February is an excellent choice due to the transition from the wet to the dry season in many regions.
Weather in Indonesia in February:
- In February, Indonesia experiences the transition from the wet (rainy) season to the dry season. Rainfall decreases as the country moves towards the drier months.
- Temperatures range from 26°C to 32°C (79°F to 90°F) in the lowlands. In highland areas, temperatures can be cooler, dropping to around 15°C to 22°C (59°F to 72°F) at night.
- The places that experience the wettest time in February are Lombok, Nusa Tenggara and Flores.
Things to Do in Indonesia in February:
- Stay in Ubud and experience the best of Balinese culture. Some of the best activities include the purification ceremony at Pura Tirta Emul and the daily performance of the traditional fire dance – Kecak.
- February in Raja Ampat is a dream come true for underwater enthusiasts. With calm seas and excellent visibility, it’s the perfect time to snorkel or dive amidst the vibrant coral reefs.
- Explore Gunung Leuser National Park, located in Sumatra, for unforgettable encounters with orangutans.
- Trek up and explore Mount Bromo’s surreal landscapes and the ethereal Ijen Crater, famous for its blue flames. These volcanic wonders, located in East Java, promise excellent hiking opportunities and stunning vistas.
- Visit Yogyakarta, the cultural capital of Java. Explore Prambanan Temple and delve into the historical heritage of the Kraton Palace and Taman Sari Water Castle.
Events/ Festival in Indonesia in February:
- Chinese New Year: Celebrated by the Chinese-Indonesian community, Chinese New Year is a vibrant and colourful festival. You can witness traditional dragon and lion dances, visit temples adorned with lanterns, and savour delicious Chinese cuisine in areas with a significant Chinese population, such as Jakarta and Semarang.
9. Sri Lanka in February
Contributed by Amy at ‘The Sunrise Dreamers’
Best Time to Visit the South Coast
Why is Sri Lanka one of the best countries to visit in February?
- It’s the best season to relax on the beautiful beaches of Sri Lanka
- The weather isn’t too hot yet, so it’s easy to explore the cultural sights
- Sri Lanka is in peak season, but the country isn’t that popular yet!
Located in South Asia, underneath its neighbour India, Sri Lanka is one of the best places to visit in the winter months. The country has two monsoons at different halves of the year and in February the South Coast is the perfect time to visit. Sri Lanka is home to ancient sites, jungle safaris, amazing beaches and incredible cuisine.
It’s best to spend at least 1 week in the country, but if you have two to three weeks in Sri Lanka, you can experience so much! The country is small, but there’s a lot to see.
Weather in Sri Lanka In February:
- Sri Lanka is a tropical destination with warm weather all year round!
- Temperatures range from 25°C to 27°C / 77°F to 90°F
- The country is humid most of the year, although February is slightly more fresh than the hot summer months.
- Sri Lanka has mountains and tea plantations which are quite a lot cooler and sometimes rainy in February!
Things to Do in Sri Lanka in February:
- Explore Sigiriya and climb the ancient rock fortress.
- Go on an animal safari to see elephants, crocodiles, leopards and more!
- Relax or surf on the beaches of the South Coast of Sri Lanka. Eat traditional Sri Lankan cuisine with your toes in the sand at Mirissa, our favourite beach destination in Sri Lanka.
- Hike in the beautiful mountains of Ella and see incredible sunsets.
- Experience the hustle and bustle of Colombo.
- Visit Buddhist temples in Kandy and all over the country.
Events / Festivals in Sri Lanka in February:
- Shankra Festival – Created for the love of Psychedelic Trance, this immersive festival brings people from all around the world to dance to their heart’s content (12 – 18 February, 2024).
10. Thailand in February
Contributed by Steffi at ‘Beach Bum Adventure’
Cooler With Less Humidity
Why is Thailand one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Fabulous clear blue skies
- One of the less humid times of year
- Avoid peak season in December / January
Thailand, located in South East Asia, is a wonderful city to visit in February. Many visitors learn to love Bangkok, the capital, but initially find it overwhelming and the heat doesn’t help. February can be a great time of year to visit because it is not as hot and humid as other times of the year. Furthermore, combining a trip to Bangkok with a visit to the South of Thailand to check out areas like Krabi or Thai islands like Koh Lipe is definitely worth it.
Weather in Thailand In February:
- It is dry season
- The temperature in Thailand is usually around 30 degrees Celsius / 86 degrees Fahrenheit
- Very often cloudless, blue sky days
- The humidity is less than during rainy season
Things to Do in Thailand in February:
- Explore Bangkok, from the bustling metropolis of skybars and market shopping, to ancient temples and alleys in Chinatown.
- Fly from Bangkok down to Krabi and hike national parks, swim in blue lagoons, island hop Thailand’s famous beaches without the crowds.
- If you have time head to the paradise island of Koh Lipe for white sand, clear turquoise water and healthy coral reefs for snorkelling or scuba diving.
- Enjoy the many things to see and do in Phuket, including a Phi Phi island hopping tour.
- Two hours from Bangkok, lies the oldest National Park of Khao Yai. Head here in February for a good chance to see wild elephants.
- Avoid the North of Thailand as it is very often burning season which means a lot of air pollution around this time of year.
Best Countries to Visit in February in The Caribbean
Are you planning to visit the Caribbean in February? Check out our list of the best places to travel in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
11. Belize in February
Contributed by Daria at ‘The Discovery Nut’
Perfect for Snorkelling and Diving
Why is Belize one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Belize is a perfect destination for a February trip if you want to escape the cold winter.
- It’s known for its spectacular natural landscapes, including lush rainforests, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters that are perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
- It’s still less crowded than some of the most popular destinations in the region like Costa Rica, Mexico or Panama, so if you are looking for a less-explored place, Belize should be on your bucket list.
Located in Central America, Belize is a perfect destination for a February trip if you want to escape the cold winter. The country is located in the Caribbean along the doorstep of the second-largest barrier reef in the world.
That means that prices on accommodations and tours are usually higher than during the low season, however, the upside is that you will be able to enjoy some of the best weather with minimal rain and plenty of sunshine which is perfect for spending time outdoors.
Weather in Belize In February:
- February is the middle of the high season in Belize.
- Daytime temperatures typically range from the mid-70s to mid-80s Fahrenheit (24 – 29°C), making it an ideal time to enjoy outdoor activities without the sweltering heat and humidity of the wet season.
- February offers plenty of warm, sunny days with little chances of rain which is perfect for spending time outside.
- Days are often warm and sunny, but can get chilly in the evening
Things to Do in Belize in February:
- Explore the Mayan Ruins: February’s dry weather makes it an ideal time to explore Mayan archaeological sites like Xunantunich, Caracol, and Altun Ha. You can learn about the ancient Mayan civilization and marvel at the impressive ruins.
- Snorkel and Dive: Belize is renowned for its crystal-clear waters and the Belize Barrier Reef. February is a fantastic time for snorkelling and diving, with excellent visibility and diverse marine life. Explore the Great Blue Hole, Hol Chan Marine Reserve, and Shark Ray Alley.
- Enjoy the Beaches: Relax on the beautiful beaches of Belize, especially on the cayes (islands) like Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. You can swim, sunbathe, or simply unwind in a hammock by the sea.
- Cave Tubing: Go cave tubing in the Cayo District, where you can float through underground river caves surrounded by stalactites and stalagmites. It’s a unique adventure experience.
- Wildlife Watching: Belize is home to a rich variety of wildlife. February is a great time for birdwatching, and you can spot colourful birds like toucans and parrots. You might also encounter howler monkeys, iguanas, and manatees.
Events / Festivals in Belize in February:
San Pedro Carnival – San Pedro Carnival is a traditional celebration held in San Pedro around Feb. 6-9. This carnival is one of the most popular and lively events in Belize. It is a colourful and vibrant festival that combines elements of Mestizo, Maya, and Garifuna cultures, as well as influences from European traditions.
Best Countries to Visit in February in Central and South America
Are you planning to visit Central America or South America in February? Check out our list of the best places to travel in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
12. Brazil in February
Contributed by Chanelle at ‘Chasing Chanelle’
Why is Brazil one of the best countries to visit in February?
- There’s beautiful beach weather
- February is Carnival season
- It’s the liveliest time of year in Brazil
As the biggest country in South America, Brazil has so much to see and do. And February is the height of summer in Brazil, making it one of the best destinations for warm weather seekers. With a 4,500-mile-long coastline, there are thousands of pristine beaches to escape the winter and soak up the sun. Plus, February is the height of the festive season in Brazil as it’s when the country’s famous Carnival takes place. So, it’s also the most fun time of year to visit!
Weather in Brazil In February:
- Summer – the hottest month of the year
- Temperatures range from around 22 to 31 degrees Celsius / 72 to 88 degrees Fahrenheit
- Although one of the sunniest times of year, it’s also the height of the wet season, so you should expect some rain
Things to Do in Brazil in February:
- See Brazil’s most notable landmarks in Rio de Janeiro including Christ the Redeemer, Guanabara Bay, Sugarloaf Mountain and the Lapa Steps.
- Celebrate the most famous Carnival in the world in Rio de Janeiro or one of Brazil’s other major cities.
- Stroll up and down Rio’s Copacabana with itsiconic 4 kilometre black-and-white wave patterned boardwalk.
- Spend 2 – 3 days at Iguaçu Falls to see the largest series of waterfalls in the world when water levels are at their highest and most impressive.
- Relax on the beach, drink caipirinhas and soak up the sun in Florianópolis – a stunning 54-kilometre-long island in the Santa Catarina State, with pristine beaches, untouched forest, and small seaside towns.
Events / Festivals in Brazil in February:
- Carnival – This annual festival is the most popular holiday in Brazil and the whole country stops to celebrate. Held over the four days before lent, with celebrations including parades, street parties, dances, and concerts, which have earned it the reputation of the best party in the world. Although Rio de Janeiro is the most famous Carnival destination, celebrations take place across the country, and you will be able to enjoy the festivities no matter where you are in Brazil.
13. Argentina in February
Contributed by Maria at ‘Map and Camera’
Go Wildlife Watching in Ushuaia
Why is Argentina one of the best countries to visit in February?
- The days are still long, providing plenty of daylight hours for city walks and outdoor activities.
- Perfect time for hiking, bird-watching and animal-watching in Ushuaia.
- High water levels and therefore impressive Iguazu falls.
Located in South America, Argentina is the ideal place to enjoy summer in February, as the seasons are opposite to the northern hemisphere. Argentina is a huge country and it has it all: stunning architecture, diverse wildlife, beautiful beaches, breathtaking landscapes, wonderful national parks. Delicious food, excellent wines, vibrant nightlife and friendly people make the Argentina experience unforgettable.
Weather in Argentina In February:
- Last summer month – pleasant weather throughout the country
- Temperatures vary widely throughout the country. They range from 20°C to 27° C / 68°F to 80°F in Buenos Aires to 8°C to 16°C /46°F to 60°F in Ushuaia.
- The weather in Patagonia is unpredictable all-year round, so pack appropriate clothing
Things to Do in Argentina in February:
- Walk along the streets of Buenos Aires to admire the architecture, go to a soccer game at the Boca Juniors stadium and attend a tango show in the evening.
- Go wine-tasting in Mendoza.
- Take a Beagle Channel boat tour in Ushuaia to see penguins, whales, dolphins and sea-lions.
- Sail along glaciers in Los Glaciares National Park. You can even hike there.
- Ride the End of the World train and hike to the End of the World Post Office in Tierra del Fuego National Park.
- Take a boat ride at Iguazu Falls – the largest waterfall system of the world.
- Enjoy a gaucho day experience at a farm in San Antonio de Areco.
Events / Festivals in Argentina in February:
- Carnaval Porteño – Buenos Aires’ annual carnival takes place in February. Parades are held in various parts of the city. They begin on the first Saturday in February and continue every weekend throughout the month.
14. Chile in February
Contributed by Ellie at ‘This Remote Corner’
Best Weather for Outdoor Adventures
Why is Chile one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Warm temperatures and long days for trekking in Patagonia.
- Summer festivals and cultural events throughout the country.
- Best weather for outdoor adventure sports such as rafting, horseback riding, and canyoning.
Extending over 4,000 kilometers along the western edge of South America, Chile is a fantastic country to visit in February. From the high-altitude Atacama Desert to the world-famous Torres del Paine National Park in Patagonia, Chile has an incredible variety of landscapes to explore.
Weather in Chile in February:
- One of the warmest months of the year.
- Temperatures vary quite a bit depending on where you are in the country. In the capital of Santiago, average February temperatures range from 11 to 30 degrees Celsius / 52 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. In southern Patagonia, this range is significantly cooler: 4 to 13 degrees Celsius / 39 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Always be prepared for rain when trekking in the mountains. Bring rain gear and layers!
Things to Do in Chile in February:
- See flamingos, go sandboarding, and explore unique landscapes in the Atacama Desert. At night, clear skies and high altitude make this one of the best places in the world for stargazing.
- Wander Valparaíso’s hilly streets and admire its colourful urban art.
- Go river rafting, soak in hot springs, or climb an active volcano in Pucón.
- Take a day trip to Isla Magdalena from Punta Arenas. During the warm weather months, 120,000 Magellanic penguins live here!
- Complete one of the famous full day or multi-day treks in Torres del Paine National Park.
Events / Festivals in Chile in February:
- February is full of summer events and festivals throughout Chile. The most famous is probably Tapati Rapa Nui, a two-week cultural celebration on Easter Island. This festival features singing, dancing, costumes, sporting events, and traditional food!
15. Costa Rica in February
Contributed by Jess at ‘Uprooted Traveler’
Warm and Pleasant Weather for Outdoor Activities
Why is Costa Rica one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Warm weather with clear skies
- Lively events
- Excellent surfing, due to consistent waves
Located in Central America, Costa Rica is the perfect place to escape the winter cold and, instead, soak up the sun on the country’s famed beaches. Given the warm and pleasant weather, it’s an awesome month to take advantage of all of the outdoor adventures you can have here. For example, one of the best things to do in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica’s most iconic national park, is to try to spot the wildlife this country is so famous for, from spider monkeys to sloths.
For something a bit more heart-pounding, try a multi-day white water rafting adventure along the Pacuare River. Whether you’re looking for beach time or to go on a proper adventure, Costa Rica is an excellent wintertime getaway.
Weather in Costa Rica In February:
- Instead of having a more traditional four season calendar, Costa Rica really has two seasons—dry and wet. Luckily, February falls squarely into the dry season. However, the Caribbean side tends to be a bit more rainy—so be sure to still bring a rain jacket along!
- Because of the lack of rainfall during this period of time, some of Costa Rica’s waterfalls will not be flowing quite as much as during a rainier period.
- Daily highs typically range from 86°F to 94°F (30 to 34° C) and daily lows range from 76°F to 84°F (24 to 29° C).
Things to Do in Costa Rica in February:
- Go surfing in Tamarindo, arguably the most famed surf spot in Costa Rica.
- Soak in a natural hot spring while gazing up at a volcano in La Fortuna, like Tabacon Resort and Hot Spring.
- Hike through the Monteverde Cloud Forest and keep an eye out for wildlife, like red-eyed tree frogs and even jaguars.
- Relax on a stunning white sand beach while turquoise water laps at your feet in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.
- Swim under one of the country’s many waterfalls, like the Nauyaca Waterfalls near Dominical.
Events / Festivals in Costa Rica in February:
- Ash Wednesday, marking the start of Lent, is a huge annual celebration in Costa Rica. While many towns hold carnivals for the occasion, the biggest one is in Puntarenas, offering bombastic parades, fireworks, live music, and lots of food.
Best Countries to Visit in February in Europe
Are you planning to visit Europe in February? Check out our list of the best places to travel in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
16. France in February
Contributed by Kristin at ‘Global Travel Escapades’
Prime Conditions for Winter Sports
Why is France one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Beautiful winter landscapes in the French Alps and prime conditions for winter sports
- Significantly fewer crowds to deal with since Christmas market season is over
- Cheaper hotel rates since demand is lower
Located in Western Europe, France is a wonderful winter destination to visit in February. You can find a diverse range of weather and climates that cater to almost everyone’s interest. In addition, there’s no shortage of places to visit as the country is renowned for its gastronomic scene, incredible architectural landmarks, and thriving art culture.
Weather in France In February:
- During the winter season, February is usually the coldest month of the year.
- Average temperatures range from 2 degrees to 9 degrees Celsius / 35 to 48 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can expect mostly brisk winter weather, but it’s unlikely you’ll experience snowfall.
Things to Do in France in February:
- Visit the small hidden gem city of Biarritz, which is known for its surf culture and strong winter swells.
- Wander through the winding streets of Nice‘s Old Town and taste the regional Niçoise food. You’ll also be able to enjoy relatively warm temperatures here compared to Northern cities in France.
- Ski or snowboard down the freshly powdered slopes in Chamonix.
- Explore the coastal city of Marseille, which is famous for its soap industry that dates back about 700 years!
- Spend a few days in Paris enjoying significantly less crowds at all the iconic sights
Events / Festivals in France in February:
- Carnaval de Nice – Partake in one of the largest festivals of the year that occurs along the French Riviera. This grand two-week celebration features lively parades, vibrant musical performances, captivating dances, and enchanting flower floats.
17. Austria in February
Contributed by Paul at ‘Paulmarina’
Unique Alpine Experience
Why is Austria one of the best February holiday destinations?
- Great for skiing and après-ski
- Known for unique Fasnach carnival celebrations
- Snow landscape
Sandwiched between Germany and Italy, Austria is a fantastic landlocked alpine country to visit in the colder February month. Villages are covered in a white blanket of snow, and the winter atmosphere is sure to make every winter sport enthusiast happy. A blend of unique alpine cultural experiences and Belle Époque vibes can be still experienced in Austria, and all the more in February.
Weather in Austria In February:
- Winter – one of the coldest months in the year.
- Temperatures range from -10 degrees to 10 degrees Celsius / 14 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s cold and if the sky is clear at night, it’s even colder. The sun in the day can be strong and a good sun block is recommended.
- The air is crystal clear.
Things to Do in Austria in February:
- Visit Vienna, the capital of Austria. Admire the Belle Époque architecture and visit some of the most well-known art museums.
- Go down-hill skiing in Tyrol. The region is known for some of the best ski resorts, such as Kitzbühel.
- Enjoy other winter sports such as country cross skiing, sledging, ice skating, snow shoe hiking or ski touring.
- Experience a thermal hot spring in the alps and learn about the sauna etiquette.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture and visit a traditional carnival parade.
Events / Festivals in Austria in February:
- Fasnach is an age-old celebration in Tyrol during the carnival period. Strange-looking beings and spirits are said to usher in warmer days and their dances and odd noises chase away the cold and dull dark days. Local men and children dress up with wooden masks and colourful themed costumes during the carnival period. Some of these parades can only be experienced every few years. For example, the one in Imst takes again place in 2024.
18. Malta in February
Contributed by Alice at ‘Adventures of Alice’
Mild Winter Weather
Why is Malta one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Mild and even warm weather
- Crowds are much fewer than in the summer months
- Prices are more affordable
Located between Africa and Italy, Malta is one of Europe’s best places to visit in winter. Its location means temperatures are warm year-round, making it fabulous for catching the winter sun. There are also so many great things to do in Malta from exploring historic temples to wandering cobbled streets of the old towns.
Weather in Malta in February:
- It’s technically still winter in Malta in February and it’s one of the coldest months of the year.
- You can expect temperatures of around 16 – 18°C or 61 – 64 °F
- Days are warm but definitely bring a jacket, because the evenings can be chilly
Things to do in Malta in February:
- Wander around Rabat and Mdina, one of the oldest parts of Malta, and explore the historic streets.
- Explore Vallette – climb to the Upper Barrakka Gardens for the views, explore the historic Fort Elmo, or wander the waterfront.
- Take a day trip to Gozo, explore the citadel and visit the Blue Hole.
- Visit Mosta and see the famous Rotunda.
- Explore the temples at Hagar Qim and learn about the history.
Events in Malta in February:
Like Italy, Malta also celebrates Carnival in February. For a week, the people of Malta dress up in costumes and put on parades. You’ll likely see colourful floats being pulled down the streets on trailers, people dancing, live music, and the opportunity to let your hair down.
19. Norway in February
Contributed by Claire at ‘Europe in Winter’
Northern Lights and Winter Sports
Why is Norway one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Lots of snow, with skiing and snow sports!
- Chance to see Northern Lights in the north
- Cultural events like National Sami Week.
Situated in the far north of Europe – the country extends into the Arctic Circle – Norway’s without a doubt one of the best holiday destinations for February. It’s cold – but nobody comes to Norway for warmth – and there’s an abundance of winter-specific attractions, including boring around frosty fjords and gazing at the mountains!
Weather in Norway in February:
- It’s winter and one of the coldest months in Norway
- The temperature varies throughout the country, but expect it to be around -5°C to 5°C / 32°F to 41°F.
- If you head inland, the temperature can be much colder (up to -20°C or -4°F) so dress up warmly!
Things to Do in Norway in February:
- A winter trip to Tromsø is synonymous with seeing the Northern Lights, and they’re often spotted in February.
- Spend a bit of time in Tromso city, too, seeing sights like the Arctic Cathedral, its many museums and learning about Sami culture.
- The fjords are frosty in February, but it’s a cosy time to stay somewhere like Fjaerland and enjoy the views!
- Go skiing in Voss or Lillehammer.
- Visit Bergen for fresh seafood and excellent museums.
Events / Festivals in Norway in February:
Sami Week – This is a celebration of the Indigenous people of Scandinavia, The Sami. Expect cultural events, traditional Reindeer Racing and the renowned Arctic Market! Most of the festivities happen in Tromsø.
Best Countries to Visit in February in the Middle East
Are you planning to visit the Middle East in February? Check out our list of the best holiday destinations in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
20. UAE in February
Contributed by Karen at ‘Secret Abu Dhabi’
Perfect Temperature for Exploration
Why is UAE one of the best February holiday destinations?
- Experience a desert safari
- Cool weather to explore nature
- Fewer crowds in February
Located in the Middle East, the United Arab Emirates experiences perfect temperatures in February, allowing visitors to explore the vast landscape.
There is plenty to explore, from golden desert dunes to the rocky mountains of Jebel Hafeet, and the ocean mangroves to the cosmopolitan cities of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
February is one of the best times to visit UAE. It’s the perfect time to go camping in the desert, whether independently or with a tour guide, and enjoy the beautiful sunsets and the starry sky at night.
November through January tends to be the busiest month for tourists, whilst February is slightly quieter, making it the ideal time to make the most of some significant tourist attractions.
Weather in UAE in February:
- February is winter in the UAE, and the average temperature during the day ranges from 22°C to 27°C (72°F to 81°F).
- Shamal winds can cause dust storms and reduced visibility, but they are uncommon in February.
- Whilst the days are relatively warm, the evenings can get a little chilly, so it is worth bringing an extra layer, especially if you plan to spend time in the desert at night.
Things to Do in UAE in February:
- February is the perfect time to explore the highest peak in the UAE, The Jebel Hafeet in Al Ain is a rocky mountain range right on the border with Oman. Explore the mountain on a bicycle or foot or simply drive to the lookout point at the top and absorb the breath taking views of the city below.
- Another fantastic spot in Al Ain is the Al Ain Oasis, an ancient palm tree plantation that uses age-old irrigation methods. Wander through the shaded cobble pathways or take a surrey rentable from the front gate. Make sure to buy some dates to take home and visit the art store at the end, where Berber women can be seen making traditional crafts.
- No trip is complete to the UAE without seeing one of the most magnificent mosques in the world, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. This magnificent marble structure is awe-inspiring in grandeur, design and architecture.
- Nearby, enjoy the ocean whilst kayaking through the eastern mangroves. Keep an eye out for bird and marine life along the way.
- Enjoy the stunning turquoise waters and white sand beaches of Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi.
- The desert in the UAE has some incredible surprises, such as Long Salt Lake and Fossil Dunes, just a 45-minute drive from downtown Abu Dhabi.
- Visit Dubai and be awed by the modern Arabic architecture, whilst discovering the history and culture of the Emirates. From shopping in the amazing shopping malls, to lazing on the beach, there are so many things to do in Dubai to suit every type of traveller.
Events / Festivals in UAE in February:
The Sheikh Zayed Festival starts in November and runs through to March. This festival is also based 45 minutes from downtown Abu Dhabi. This festival celebrates the late founding fathers of the UAE and features many cultural activities and ultra-modern experiences.
The dichotomy of the experiences is an accurate representation of life in the UAE today, with many Emiratis living a modern life in the city whilst many Berber families continue to live in the city extremities.
21. Oman in February
Contributed by Alison at ‘Scotterati Footsteps’
Excellent Weather for Exploring Cities, Deserts and Mountains
Why is Oman the best holiday destination in February?
- Excellent weather for exploring cities and historical sites
- Best time for hiking and other outdoor activities
- Muscat Nights continues into early February
Located in the Middle East, Oman is an ideal winter destination and great for slow travel. With a rich history, Oman has impressive forts, archaeological sites, traditional architecture and a distinct lack of skyscrapers.
A diverse landscape includes deserts, mountains and lakes inland, fjords in the north, beaches to the east and lush greenery in the south. Adventure, inspiration and relaxation await.
Weather in Oman In February:
- February is one of the cooler months but overall pleasant.
- Daytime temperatures range from 20 to 28°C or 68 to 83°F and can be slightly cooler inland. It can go down to 8°C or 47°F at night up on the mountains.
- Days are generally warm and sunny, but nights can be cold near the mountains. Some days may be cloudy or rainy.
- There is no humidity in the winter.
Things to Do in Oman in February:
- Explore the capital, Muscat, including the Royal Opera House, Sultan Qaboos Mosque, Al Alam Palace and the older district of Muttrah.
- Go up Jebel Akhdar (Green Mountain), inhale the mountain air, go hiking, visit old villages, enjoy lunch with a view, stay overnight .
- Hike at Wadi Bani Khalid, swim, have lunch, relax.
- Visit Nizwa and stay in a restored Omani house. Visit the fort, souq and nearby oases.
- Visit the northern enclave of Musandam, sail the fjords on a dhow, go snorkelling and watch dolphins .
- Visit Wahiba Desert for dune-bashing, camel-riding, barbecue.
Events / Festivals in Oman in February:
- Muscat Nights continues into the first week of February with performances, fireworks, water shows, etc.
- Dakhiliya Festival offers heritage and cultural events in February.
Best Countries to Visit in February in North America
Are you planning to visit North America in February? Check out our list of the best holiday places in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
22. Canada in February
Contributed by Stephanie at ‘The World As I See It’
Bucket List Worthy Winter Activities
Why is Canada one of the best holiday destinations for February?
- Fun snow-related activities
- Crowds are fewer at the major tourist attractions
- Low-season rates
Located in North America, just north of the United States, Canada is the perfect winter destination to visit in February. Canada offers a long list of bucket list worthy winter activities like skiing, snowshoeing, and frozen waterfall chasing.
Even if you’re not looking to explore the incredible outdoors, there are plenty of cities serving up a wealth of incredible food and festivals. Some of the best places to visit in Toronto are indoor attractions, like museums and massive shopping centres.
Weather in Canada in February:
- Winter – coldest month of the year
- Temperatures range from -11 degrees to -2 degrees Celsius / 12 to 28 degrees Fahrenheit
- Winds are often the most frigid in February, carrying wind chills to make it feel colder
- Much of the country is covered in snow
Things to Do in Canada in February:
- Ski and snowboard in Whistler, British Columbia.
- Visit Churchill, Manitoba to see the Northern Lights.
- Go ice skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Attend the Quebec Winter Carnival.
- See an epic frozen waterfall in Johnston Canyon in Banff National Park.
- Explore the Allan Gardens Conservatory in Toronto, Ontario.
Events / Festivals in Canada in February:
- Winterlude – One of the top festivals in Canada in February is Winterlude. This annual festival takes place in the nation’s capital, Ottawa. This free event is full of fun activities like skating the world-famous Rideau Canal Skateway. There’s also a giant snow playground, ice sculptures, free hot chocolate, and plenty of food vendors. One of the top things to eat at Winterlude is one of Canada’s favourite desserts, the Beaver Tail!
23. Mexico in February
Contributed by Ashlea at ‘She Roams About’
Celebrate Carnaval With the Locals
Why is Mexico one of the best holiday destinations in February?
- Gorgeous weather
- Carnaval celebrations
- The crowds of holiday tourists have gone home
Located just below the US, Mexico is the largest Spanish speaking country in the world and boasts vibrant culture, a world-renowned food scene, unique places to visit, and a stunning, diverse landscapes. Although the beaches are gorgeous, there’s a lot more to Mexico from charming towns to bustling cities. There’s a place and something for everyone here.
Weather in Mexico In February:
- Winter – One of the driest months in Mexico with comfortable temperatures
- Hot areas like Yucatan average 28C / 80F and areas further north or in the mountains are cooler around 20C / 70F
- Water temperatures are perfect for swimming in February, being comfortable but still refreshing
Things to Do in Mexico in February:
- Visit Cabo San Lucas in the northeast of Mexico to swim with the whale sharks in February.
- February is a fantastic time to visit the gorgeous colonial city of Queretaro, birthplace of the Mexican Revolution, with perfect weather and the Festival of 100 Mexican Wines which takes place in the wine region just south of the city every two years.
- Mexico City gets more rain during rainy season than London, England gets all year and with February being one of the driest months, it’s the best time to explore the city on foot.
- Pacific surfing town of Sayulita plays host to Festival Sayulita every February, a beachside international film festival with movie screenings and live music.
- February is peak season for the Monarch butterfly migration and El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary in Michoacan is the best place to see these beautiful creatures.
- Go snorkelling or scuba diving on Cozumel, an island just off the coast of Playa del Carmen.
Events / Festivals in Mexico in February:
- Carnaval is Mexico’s answer to Mardi Gras and is celebrated every February. While it’s celebrated in many places across the country, Mazatlan and Veracruz hold the biggest and most vibrant celebrations. Expect to see huge parades, elaborate costumes, dancing, and parties in the streets.
Best Countries to Visit in February in Oceania
Are you planning to visit Oceania and wondering where to go on holiday in February? Check out our list of the best places to travel in February and enjoy your holiday like never before.
24. Australia in February
Contributed by Paula at ‘Australia Your Way’
Fewer Crowds as Summer Draws to an End
Why is Australia one of the best countries to visit in February?
- Has great swimming weather as the final month of summer sees warm days and calm seas.
- Offers lower crowds, peak season crowds from the holiday period have thinned out making sites and beaches less busy.
- The long days and warm weather February offers are perfect for exploring the southern states which get quite cold at other times of year.
Planning a trip to Australia, which is located in the Southern Hemisphere, is one of the best countries to visit in February for warm weather. It is ideal as a winter destination for those from the northern hemisphere and a fabulous place to visit as our summer draws to an end. Long days and warm temperatures are perfect for exploring Australia’s beaches and outdoor attractions.
Weather in Australia In February:
- The far northern cities of Darwin and Cairns can see very heavy rain so best leave them for another time of year.
- Daily averages in the southern states range from 26°C/79°F in Sydney to 27°C / 81°F in Melbourne.
Things to do in Australia in February:
- Explore some of the famous Australian landmarks such as Sydney Opera House and Bondi Beach with less crowds.
- Visit South Australia’s Kangaroo Island and the beautiful Mornington Peninsula.
- Take a road trip along the southern coast of Queensland from Brisbane to Agnes Waters, and stop along the way at the Sunshine Coast and Hinterland towns, Australia Zoo, Fraser Island, and Bundaberg.
- Experience native animal encounters! Australia’s 650+ National Parks await, offering incredible wildlife watching during breeding season.
- Exploring national parks such as Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair in Tasmania is highly recommended. The landscapes come alive with colourful wildflowers and cascading waterfalls, providing ample opportunities for hiking, camping, and wildlife spotting.
Events / Festivals in Australia in February:
- Visit Sydney for the colour and spectacle of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival.
- Enjoy Australia’s largest arts festival, the Adelaide Fringe Festival and enjoy some of the diverse performances.
25. New Zealand in February
Contributed by Laura at ‘Laura the Explorer’
Ideal Time to do a Road Trip Without the Crowds
Why is New Zealand one of the best places in the world to visit in February?
- The end of summer is a great time for discovering New Zealand’s remote, deserted beaches.
- Conditions are perfect for hiking one of New Zealand’s best hikes.
- With locals back to school and work, it’s the ideal time for an epic New Zealand road trip without the crowds.
Often left off of world maps, New Zealand is like a secret paradise, hidden at the bottom of the South Pacific Ocean. From icy glaciers, to lush tropical rainforests, to fiery volcanoes and geysers, to sand swept beaches, New Zealand fits an incredible variety of landscapes and experiences into a pretty small package. Attracting adventurers and nature lovers, there are plenty of wild and wonderful gems to discover in New Zealand.
Weather in New Zealand in February:
- February is late summer in New Zealand, similar to August in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Temperatures in New Zealand in February vary from North to South, but generally range from 18 – 26 degrees Celsius or 65 – 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- February has some of the calmest, settled weather of the whole year. It’s also one of the driest months of the year.
- But do come prepared! Weather can be rather unpredictable in New Zealand, so pack both your swimmers and an umbrella. One of our most famous songs is even called “Four seasons in one day”.
Things to do in New Zealand in February:
- Beach hop around the picturesque Bay of Islands.
- Experience otherworldly landscapes on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing Walk.
- Taste fresh local seafood from ocean-side vendors in Kaikoura.
- Get adventurous in Queenstown with jetboat rides, bungy jumping and skydiving.
- Cruise the stunning Milford Sound whilst keeping an eye out for dolphins.
Events / Festivals in New Zealand in February:
- New Zealand’s national holiday, Waitangi Day, occurs on the 6th of February. Plan ahead if visiting at this time as this popular long weekend holiday is usually the last chance for locals to get away before school starts up again in earnest.
FAQ’s: The Best Countries To Visit In February Around the World
Now that you have explored the best countries to visit in February in the world, you might still have a few questions. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some frequently asked questions about February travel.
What should I pack for my trip in February?
Packing essentials for a trip in February depends on your chosen destination’s climate. Generally, it’s advisable to pack layers of clothing that can be easily added or removed according to temperature changes. Don’t forget items such as comfortable walking shoes, a versatile jacket, sunscreen (even in winter destinations), and any necessary travel documents.
How can I make the most of my trip in February?
To make the most of your trip in February, plan ahead and prioritize the activities and attractions that interest you the most. Take advantage of local guides or tour operators who can provide valuable insights and recommendations. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and embrace new experiences – that’s where unforgettable memories are made!
Which is the best country to visit in February?
Where is the best country to visit in February depends on personal preferences, but popular options include Thailand, Mexico, and New Zealand.
Where is the warmest country in February?
The warmest place to travel in February is usually Thailand, with temperatures ranging from 25-35°C (77-95°F). Enjoy the tropical beaches and vibrant culture!
Where is best to travel to in February and March?
In February and March, the best places to travel are Costa Rica, Thailand, and New Zealand. Enjoy warm weather, beautiful beaches, and stunning landscapes!
Is Europe worth it in February?
Yes, Europe is worth it in February! Despite the cold weather, you can enjoy fewer crowds, beautiful winter landscapes, and cultural events like Carnival.
Where is warm in Europe in February?
In February, some warm destinations in Europe include the Canary Islands, Cyprus, and southern Spain.
What are the places to visit for a honeymoon during February in Europe?
Some popular honeymoon destinations in Europe during February are Paris, Venice, Santorini, and the Swiss Alps.
How is Italy in February?
Italy in February offers a unique experience with fewer crowds and lower prices. The weather is generally mild, but be prepared for some rain and cooler temperatures.
How is Paris in February?
Paris in February is cold, but it has a unique charm. You can enjoy fewer crowds, visit museums, and indulge in delicious French cuisine.
What is Portugal like in February?
Portugal in February is generally mild and rainy, with fewer tourists. It’s a great time to explore cities, enjoy indoor activities, and experience local culture.
Where in Thailand is best in February?
The best place to visit in Thailand in February is Krabi. It offers beautiful beaches, clear waters, and great weather for outdoor activities.
Is Thailand more expensive in February?
Yes, Thailand can be more expensive in February due to the peak tourist season and the celebration of Chinese New Year.
Is Thailand better in February or March?
It depends on personal preference. February offers cooler temperatures, while March has warmer weather and fewer tourists. Choose based on your priorities.
Is Thailand hot in February?
Yes, Thailand is hot in February. The average temperature ranges from 25-32°C (77-90°F), making it a great time to enjoy the beaches and outdoor activities.
Is Greece hot in February?
Greece is not hot in February. It is winter in Greece during this time, with average temperatures ranging from 10-15 degrees Celsius.
Is Spain warm in February?
Yes, Spain can be warm in February, especially in the southern regions like Andalusia and the Canary Islands. However, it can still be cooler in the northern parts.
What is Costa Rica like in February?
Costa Rica in February offers warm weather, beautiful beaches, and lush rainforests. It’s a great time for outdoor activities and exploring nature.
What is the warmest island in February?
The warmest island in February varies depending on location, but popular options include Maldives, Seychelles, and Bora Bora.
In Summary – Best Countries to Visit in February
We’ve curated this list based on extensive research, our own personal experiences and those of other travel bloggers to ensure we bring you the most reliable recommendations. Whether you’re an avid traveller or someone looking for a new adventure, these destinations cater to all types of explorers.
From the tropical paradise of Sri Lanka to the snowy wonderland of Lapland, Finland, these destinations offer unforgettable experiences that will leave you with memories to cherish for a lifetime. So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to pack your bags and embark on an adventure like no other!
Are you planning a holiday in February? Have you visited any of the recommended countries to visit in February listed above, or have we missed a country we should add to this list? Post your travel tips and questions below.
Trip Planners For The Best Of World Travel: Related Blog Posts
Want more info to help you plan your next trip? Check out all the articles we’ve written about the ‘Best of World Travel’ in all parts of the world.
- 24 Great Scenic Railway Journeys In The World
- Best Airport Lounges In The World
- 21 Of The Best Countries To Visit In January
- 27 Of The Best Countries To Visit In October
- 27 Best Countries To Visit In November
- 25 Best Countries to Visit in December
FESTIVALS AROUND THE WORLD IN…
- 35 Of The Best And Biggest Festivals In The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best January Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 20 Of The Best February Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Amazing March Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 15 Of The Top April Festivals Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best Festivals In May Around The World 2023 | 2024
- 10 Of The Best June Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- The Ultimate Guide To Festivals In July Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Of The Best August Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 12 Popular September Festivals And Events Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best October Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 11 Of The Best November Festivals Around The World In 2023 | 2024
- 13 Of The Best Festivals In February Around The World In 2023 | 2024
Essential Travel Planning Resources
Below are our favourite companies to use for planning our travels. They consistently turn up the best deals, offer great customer service and amazing value, and overall, are better than their competitors. These are always our starting point when we need to book a flight, hotel, tour, car rental etc.
Book a Tour:
We mostly travel independently, however, some places are better to visit with a guided tour. We prefer GetYourGuide for its easy-to-use interface and solid reputation, but we also use Viator.
DISCLAIMER: This article contains affiliate links and Exit45 Travels are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. That means if you click a link and make a purchase, we make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.